Is SW really the answer?

chloecat

I guess it's slightly silly me asking this on this forum but I just need some guidance. I've restarted my diet yet again!! Currently weigh 18st 12lbs, my worse weight ever. I've done SW many times over the years, most successfully losing 3st once but I always fail!

I'm trying to be tough with myself as I'm a teacher on 6 weeks holiday and want to look better before going back to work - plus be able to buy a new pair of jeans! My size 20s split under the pressure of my huge thigh and I'm too embarrassed to start looking for size 22s.

Anyway, I'm 3 days into my new diet and already feel depressed and fed up. My diet has been shredded wheat for breakfast, fruit and yoghurt for lunch and fish/meat with veg for dinner, no snacks. I've also been doing 2 hours of exercise daily and am taking alli.

Am I being too tough? Do you think I can still make an impact on my weight in 6 weeks on SW which allows more food? I'm happy to keep up the exercise as I need to tone up, plus I want to stick with alli as I find it good. But I think my strict food intake will be hard.

Sorry to ramble, just feeling depressed over my desperation to lose weight but also despondent over how hard it feels.

Yeah, join :) the diet you're doing now sounds too tough, I couldn't ever do that. You must be starving all the time!!

You could lose a stone in those 6 weeks and go back to work with a spring in your step. And if you're feeling as if you're heading for a fail a couple of stone in, this site is a great support!!

Surely if you've done SW before you know that if you restrict the calorie intake too much your body starts storing instead of losing?

The plan works as long as you follow it -you sound as though you are being very strict - remember that syns are as much of the plan as everything else - are you having any?

Look through the recipe forum on here - I always think that a dieter's downfall is boredom so it pays to keep things varied x

But to be blunt its not the SW plan failing you, its you failing to embrace the plan.

Think about why you failed the other times. You need a strategy for how to stop it happening agin this time.

What are your danger times? Evening snacking then save your syns for that time of day, clear out the junk food and have lots of low syn treats on hand. If its boredom them challenge yourself to try so many new food and recipes a week so there is always variety and something new. See what I mean?

Unless you have a strategy then its pretty much a guarantee that you will revert to old bad habits when those danger times crop up ...because its easy ;)

Maybe the reason you've found it failed before is because you are too tough on yourself? I know the only reason i've been able to stick it out since sept is precisely because you are allowed to eat loads an incorporate enough treats to keep me sane (such as end of term chocolates, and staffroom cake).

Maybe the reason you've found it failed before is because you are too tough on yourself? I know the only reason i've been able to stick it out since sept is precisely because you are allowed to eat loads an incorporate enough treats to keep me sane (such as end of term chocolates, and staffroom cake).

I always wonder how these people at group say ''oh I havent had any syns this week'' - they are my godsend!

Yeah but having failed so many times I can't help but doubt the plan!

Yeah but why have you failed? Because the plan stopped working when you were being 100% every week, or because you stopped following it or fell off the wagon?

I've lost over 2 1/2 stone, am 17st 3lb and started at 19st 10 1/2lb. I know I've still got a long way to go. But I know that the plan works, there's only me who can do it and if I fail I know its me who has failed and not slimming world. Its got to come from you. I've done this along with stopping smoking too. I stopped smoking in january, was 20st 3lb when I went to see that nurse with pre-high blood pressure readings!! It was the wake up call I needed so I've actually lost 3 stone. I am still motivated to lose another 3!! Even if it does become hard.

I guess my point is if you really want something, go and get it. There is only ourselves that can change anything about out own lives we don't like.

Good luck and hope you stop with the restricting diet, they're the diets that always fail x

I pretty much use all my syns! I dont really see the point not to. I'm not going to never eat cake again, and syns lets me incorperate into my life sensibly otherwise i'm just going to eat it all when i'm 'thin enough' and land up back where i started!

chloecat said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will start SW properly again, I feel that the way I'm going I'm at high risk of cracking and binging before long!

I hope you keep going. X

I guess I just realised that I'm setting myself up to fail. I have this fantasy of returning to work and everyone saying "wow, you look amazing!".

Err I'm nearly 19st!! How much impact can I honestly make? As much as I want to see a change I have to accept that I need a long term eating plan.

Wow I feel such a sense if relief. Have been depressed all day and feel quite weak, feel so much better making the choice to restart on a sensible plan. Am going to eat my tuna steak and veg dinner but add some rice to it!

I was 18st 3 at the end of Sept and i'm currently 14st.. And now none of my summer clothes fit (not that we've had a summer) Keep positive - i'm sure ur get there!

you can do this! but if your exercise 2 hours a day your just going to hurt yourself and make yourself super hungry! you need at least a day in between to recover also work different muscle groups at each work out... you should ideally only work out an hour too... 2 hours is just crazy and your gonna get injured...

I've lost 11 stone. It's taken me 25 years. it took that long because I'd start on really tough regimes, do brilliantly for up to four weeks then crash and burn. Burning of course always included adding another stone.
I've just rejoined sw ( I did 6 months on line, then went solo for a year) as I realise I need the group support to keep me on track. I joined onl-ine when I was really big because I was just too embarrassed to go to a group.
What I have learned is there is no quick fix, that in 6 weeks you can really make a deny in your weight but will still have lots to lose, but that if you change your eating habits permanently in a way that you can sustain, you WILL be able to reach your goal. It just takes a long time. But it really is SO worth it.
Good luck xx

Thanks loads everyone for the advice. I feel much more relaxed and positive now. My dinner was much more enjoyable and I feel happy knowing I can eat some spaghetti or potatoes over the next week. I still want to try and make a difference over the next 6 weeks but I feel much more confident that I can do it. 8 stone isn't going to disappear in a month, so clearly a ultra strict diet is just going to leave me fed up. I've re-read my old SW book and am much happier now :)

chloecat said:
Thanks loads everyone for the advice. I feel much more relaxed and positive now. My dinner was much more enjoyable and I feel happy knowing I can eat some spaghetti or potatoes over the next week. I still want to try and make a difference over the next 6 weeks but I feel much more confident that I can do it. 8 stone isn't going to disappear in a month, so clearly a ultra strict diet is just going to leave me fed up. I've re-read my old SW book and am much happier now :)

That's good news. Coz if I'm honest........Your strict diet looked terrifying!! I'd be chewing my own arm off on that plan :drool:

I think with any eating plan to succeed there are four main factors.
1) Only eat the foods you enjoy eating and will be happy still eating months or years down the line. Think of it as a healthy eating regime not a diet which suggests it has an end date.
2) Learn to recognise real hunger as in rumbly tummy not "my mouth needs something"
3) Love yourself and look at what is going on in your head. Listen to the little voices and if they are not encouraging you, ask your self why sabotage is stronger than looking after yourself.
4) Variety is key in exercise and food choices.

Back