is swimming gonna help???

Gembritney

Silver Member
I started swimming a couple of weeks ago and I have read some really discouraging things online.....

A) That its not the best weightloss exercise

B) That u create a layer of fat under ur skin due to the temperature of the water bla bla bla....

C) Its more for toning :( ( i want pounds lost!)

I hoped doing between 40 and 50 lengths everyday would boost my weightloss but now i feel disheartened......
Anyone else swim and have a good weightloss???
:confused:

My cosultant told me that exercise (any type) only helps lose an extra 1-2lbs a month. You cant do a week of exercise and expect to jump on the scales the following WI and have lost 3/4/5lbs because of it.

swimming any stroke breaststroke/front crawl whatever one you do is a really good form of exercise as it uses nearly all your muscles. even though its not high impact like running for example, you're still working your body hard and getting a good workout. as for the temperature thing, if you're swimming in an indoor heated pool you have nothing to worry about :) keep at it! its definitely not going to have a negative impact on your loss xxx

My cosultant told me that exercise (any type) only helps lose an extra 1-2lbs a month. You cant do a week of exercise and expect to jump on the scales the following WI and have lost 3/4/5lbs because of it.

thanks u Pizzle.....do u hink its worth the exercise??

I run quite a bit (20-30 miles a week) and I'm overweight - its true that you can't lose weight by exercise alone, you just tend to eat more to compensate. However, it has been fantastic for shaping my figure, making me feel great, and for losing weight quickly when I eat healthily (isn't working quite so well this time!). It also is fantastic for maintaining my weight and revving up my metabolism - I would be a lot heavier if it wasn't for the exercise.

So, whilst exercise won't work without some diet modification, it is part of the whole package and is definitely worth doing. If there was no evidence to support it, SW would not encourage it through body magic.

I have heard the same rumours about swimming, but the layer of fat applies mainly to wild swimmers (in cold water lakes etc.) rather than our heated pools, and I have a number of friends who swim, none of whom are overweight. Keep up the swimming - you don't see many fat olympic swimmers, do you? That said, its always worth having variety.

I run quite a bit (20-30 miles a week) and I'm overweight - its true that you can't lose weight by exercise alone, you just tend to eat more to compensate. However, it has been fantastic for shaping my figure, making me feel great, and for losing weight quickly when I eat healthily (isn't working quite so well this time!). It also is fantastic for maintaining my weight and revving up my metabolism - I would be a lot heavier if it wasn't for the exercise.

So, whilst exercise won't work without some diet modification, it is part of the whole package and is definitely worth doing. If there was no evidence to support it, SW would not encourage it through body magic.

I have heard the same rumours about swimming, but the layer of fat applies mainly to wild swimmers (in cold water lakes etc.) rather than our heated pools, and I have a number of friends who swim, none of whom are overweight. Keep up the swimming - you don't see many fat olympic swimmers, do you? That said, its always worth having variety.

Thanks mrs R! this is very true, u dont get over weight swimmers.... so u think it will boost metabolism? and il loose inches??? will it make me gain tho?? xx

I started swimming a couple of weeks ago and I have read some really discouraging things online.....

A) That its not the best weightloss exercise

B) That u create a layer of fat under ur skin due to the temperature of the water bla bla bla....

C) Its more for toning :( ( i want pounds lost!)

I hoped doing between 40 and 50 lengths everyday would boost my weightloss but now i feel disheartened......
Anyone else swim and have a good weightloss???
:confused:

A) swimming is very good exercise for heavier people, as you are not putting such a load on your joints because the water supports you.

B) rubbish - unless you are swimming the channel in winter??? :)

C) what's wrong with toning? There are quite often threads on this forum from people worried about loose skin - this won't be you!

Any physical exercise is using up calories and will therefore help with weightloss if you are sticking to the SW plan.

A) swimming is very good exercise for heavier people, as you are not putting such a load on your joints because the water supports you.

B) rubbish - unless you are swimming the channel in winter??? :)

C) what's wrong with toning? There are quite often threads on this forum from people worried about loose skin - this won't be you!

Any physical exercise is using up calories and will therefore help with weightloss if you are sticking to the SW plan.

Thanks Avisk!!! how has ur SW gone so far xxx

If you enjoy it then stick to it!! Like others have said, exercise wont generally increase your losses (not in huge amounts anyway), but it's a big part of being healthy. No point being thin, but unfit and unhealthy :)
Swimming is fantastic for toning, it really is :D

Thanks Avisk!!! how has ur SW gone so far xxx

Got off to a good start and lost three and a half stone, but have been messing around, up and down, recently, mostly staying the same.

But I have kept going to the SW class, because I am quite sure that if I hadn't my weight would have risen again, a lot.

I did lose two and a half pounds this week, and I am hoping to shift a few more pounds before I go on holiday in September.

Thank you for asking!!

If you enjoy it then stick to it!! Like others have said, exercise wont generally increase your losses (not in huge amounts anyway), but it's a big part of being healthy. No point being thin, but unfit and unhealthy :)
Swimming is fantastic for toning, it really is :D
I love swimming...... so if it helps my weight then the 50 odd lengths are worth it ;) xxxxxxxxxx

Got off to a good start and lost three and a half stone, but have been messing around, up and down, recently, mostly staying the same.

But I have kept going to the SW class, because I am quite sure that if I hadn't my weight would have risen again, a lot.

I did lose two and a half pounds this week, and I am hoping to shift a few more pounds before I go on holiday in September.

Thank you for asking!!

great job babe!!! 2.5lbs is goooooood! im jealous! and sorry but im itching to use this animation>>>>:kissass: xx

great job babe!!! 2.5lbs is goooooood! im jealous! and sorry but im itching to use this animation>>>>:kissass: xx

Oh - I know what you mean! Have you clicked the [More] link next to the animations and smileys to see the complete list. Some of them are great. I particularly like this one. :bliss:

A. Any exercise burns calories, so in effect causes weight loss. Even doing the hoovering helps!

B. We ALREADY have layers of fat under our skin ;)

C. It will tone thus creating inch loss = small clothes!

Swimming might not help you loose the pounds you want but as you do loose the pounds from the diet, it will tone you up.

Just wish I was able to go swimming again but my stupid feet and scar won't let me.

So go and enjoy it.

Only really going to repeat what everyone has said.

It is a fantastic exercise. 50 Lengths every day is really good, and you will become more toned and have better definition as well. If the water is a bit cooler, it just means your body has to work harder to warm itself up, and you do that by swimming that little bit faster!

I swim twice a week at the moment, and all the other days I do exercise classes and PT - the key thing is variety. If all you are doing is swimming, then perhaps mix it up with concentrating on one stroke one day, then change the next or perhaps get a kickboard and then concentrate on legs for a while.

Can I ask the length of the swimming pool is please? Bizzare question, but it will make sense I promise.

I have started swimming again. I do 1 mile a week usually over 2 or 3 sessions depending how bored I get each time!

I also do body pump and have looked into the couch to 5k running thing but not sure if I am still too heavy to do that as I did plan to run 5k a week.

As others have said swimming will aid weight loss and tone - I have found previously that it helps flatten the stomach.

I find it does make me hungry though so I then have to work hard to ensure the exercise is not counter productive (i.e. increasing my apetite too much).

Back