Is this alcoholic behaviour?

When someone come evening after dinner is full of food, not thirsty..doesn't fancy anything but alcohol. And this person has half to a whole bottle of wine or 3 to 4 pints of lager 4 or 5 nights a week. This is mainly affecting weight loss. Is this weakness like falling for a bar of chocolate or should this person be more worried? Friendly advice please. Thanks.

It's hard to say. If the person concerned is wanting to lose weight but isn't prepared to limit what they are drinking accordingly, then there is a problem, but that doesn't mean they are an alcoholic. Lots of people consume that amount and wouldn't even consider that there might be a problem with alcohol.

Alcoholism takes various forms and we can't diagnose that, but if you think it might be a problem, and the person cannot cut down for the sake of their other goals, then it would be worth discussing further with someone who is qualified to give advice.

i was speaking to a recovering alcoholic a few weeks back. i asked how much someone has to drink to become an alcoholic. she said its not about how much they drink or how often, someone only really becomes an alcoholic when it effects there whole life and the alcohol becomes nore important than anything else. this partucular lady said she would make exuseses not to go to say a certain social gethering if she knew there would be no alcohol there and would constantly think about where her next drink was comming from and if she didnt know she would go into a panic.

When someone come evening after dinner is full of food, not thirsty..doesn't fancy anything but alcohol. And this person has half to a whole bottle of wine or 3 to 4 pints of lager 4 or 5 nights a week. This is mainly affecting weight loss. Is this weakness like falling for a bar of chocolate or should this person be more worried? Friendly advice please. Thanks.

Its hard to tell from this information without knowing more about the situation but it does sound as if there is some sort of alcohol problem/abuse.
When you say its affecting weight loss in what way do you mean and is it the weight loss concerning you or just the alcohol drinking?

The information at the minute seems pretty limited, I think we need a bit more information as to any other effects it has on their life and their feelings when they don't get to have a drink.

My understanding of alcoholism is limited, my dad is an alcoholic, he knows it but won't seek professional help which is why my knowledge is limited as I don't see him very often due to this.

Some signs of alcoholism that I have experienced....

It becomes more important than your health

It destroys relationships in your family and becomes more important than your family.

You start to become secretive about when and how much you drink.

You can't have just one.

I know they seem pretty basic but it can help to have them in black and white.

This person should be worried as they are seriously going over their healthy daily limits per day....and not just by a few, this is by a lot. This will have effects on health, even if they don't notice as yet. Maybe try talking to them to ascertain if there is an issue and take it from there. Tricky subject, but if they deny there is an issue, that's when you should worry. Hope you get the answers you need xx

Back