Step6 Maintenance It's a minefield

CrazyDiamond

Gold Member
Now we all know that CWP works, I am living proof of it! But as I bring myself closer and closer to goal, my losses are becoming sporadic, unpredictable and really hard to maintain a predictable loss. Of course, with less than a stone (just over 6kg) to go until my personal target, I just want to get there, and as with the last 5 months would like it if I knew exactly how much I might loose, for how long and when I will get there, but this is my problem, my guess is as good as that of my dog lily!

I have recently changes from SS to SS+ since I was finding I was feeling week at times, and knew it was time for a few more calories, it's difficult to tell if my losses have been affected by this or not since they are becoming so random - a 2lb loss followed by a 3.5lb loss, and my scales telling me I might even be lucky to get 1.5lbs this week right now. This leads me to think... What can I change, what can I do better, how can I help myself? The I start reading about diets, and this is where the confusion starts! That lovely little iPhone app everyone uses tells me in 5 weeks time I basically won't have reached the weight I want to be! BUT I don't believe it. I have no idea what the calculation is based on, but never the less it still makes me worry.

So the basic theory it's that to burn 1lb of fat 3500 calories need to be burnt. Straight up this theory is quashed in this radio clip....

http://youtu.be/djGCQ9b7mHo

Which makes me ponder, is CWP successful due to the calorie restriction or the fact it is low carb - therefore ketogenic? What does it mean for a low calorie diet if someone is also in ketosis- will the losses be greater? When stepping up e steps it gradually becomes more of a calories controlled diet, my question is, does this work? I eventually plan to use 5:2 with cambridge products on the 2 days to maintain, for that I would also question; is that successful because of the calorie restriction overthe week as a whole or more so because of the way it is done ie: shocking the body 2 days a week with a minimal intake, fasting as such?

It all concerns me tremendously since I really want to be clued up so that when I enter maintenance I can give myself the best possible chance of being successful. The scariest thing is the HUGE amount of different diets out there which all contradict each other, yet all seem to work! Before CWPC I was loosing weight using slimming world extra easy - I basically lived on carbs since pasta and rice were allowed in unlimited quantities, yet still lost weight - I dread to think how many calories I was consuming daily then - on a diet which adheres to neither of the above two mentioned ideas or calorie restriction or low carb?

Humans are all unique right, DNA, could it be that there isn't a one solution fits all diet? I mean there's people out there who can live on fast food and maintain a size 8 figure right? Or there's people like my mums side of the family who are naturally larger human beings, My grandad bless him had giant ears and other features, and massive feet and hands, a big frame and until his last years the fat to cover it all as well. My mum is similar, and myself having always been overweight since a young age the same too... Now that I am smaller I am finding these things like a massive pelvis which is certainly not designed to house a petite figure!

Maybe that is the answer, that as much of a pig as it sounds, we all need to find out own diets, of course use fab things like CWP to get where you need to be but ongoing, we need to figure it out for ourselves. Trial and error- a whole lotta hard work! I have friends who have told me this before but I took no notice, but now it makes more sense. One told me she limits wheat based products, another that she rarely has sugar.

We could keep it basic to the "eat less, move more" theory, but that's when equivalent calories come into play - of course a 250kcal meal of grilled chicken and green veg is going to better for you than a 250kcal choc bar, which again kills the whole calorie idea! If I went on a 1200kcal diet and ate proteins and veg, surely I would loose more weight than if I had 1200kcal of chocolate? Doesn't that just throw calorie counting out of the window?

Raaaa, what a minefield, if you read this far...well done! Haha, just needed to share my musings, and of course half of this may be inaccurate - I'm no dietician, but it's all from my personal experience and research, I'm interested to hear other people's ideas and theories are!

I get the feeling you are overthinking this:D.

But seriously it is a big question, and it is better to have a plan than not. I lost 6 stone a few years back and have worked my way through every diet under the sun since. This time round I am hoping to have learnt from my mistakes. Things I will be doing:

1) Definitely working up through the stages correctly
2) Maintaining a low carb diet for life (I found even after CD, that carbs would bloat me and lead me to all my old bad habits... all my binges are carb related)
3) Maintain the support of CD.... like you I plan on doing 5:2 (the merits of fasting seem really good and research shows it works, and my CDC is great and will keep me on track)
4) I am going to fork out for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to tackle the issues (well if I can afford it).

It may seem over the top, but I was in a great place 3 years ago and didn't for a minute think I would put the weight back on, but lo and behold I put on every single pound. This time nothing is going to be left to change... this is a diet for life.

PS... the reason I put the weight back on is nothing to do with having lost it on CD (as all those non believers always comment). Whatever diet I would have lost weight with I would have been in the same boat as I went back to eating like I did before the diet. The problem was me not the diet.

You seem very clued up, all the best I am sure 10 years from now you will still be the weight you want to be.

I too want to understand all of the science behind everything to do with dieting, weight loss, etc. However as I'm not a nutritionist, and am never likely to be, I can only conclude the following (which is pretty much as Chlo says):

1) We will put all the weight back on if we revert back to eating as we did before... I am going to struggle with this big time, as although I love healthy food, I also love to 'treat' myself to chocolate, crisps, sweets and love wine! The main problem was that I don't have the will power of a Hollywood star, where I would treat myself to a square of chocolate once a week.... It's family sized all the way..

2) I love the idea of keeping in touch with CWP after I've finished - love the 5:2 idea, and I really think it will remain as a crutch for life. A few extra lbs on? Rather than turning it into a horrible problem, just CWP for a week or two, and try something different.

3) I get the CBT thing - although it is expensive.. And to be honest, I know that I eat when I'm down, I eat when I'm bored.. I will try to remember this, and work around these things..

4) I think there is a ketosis thing at work, but also a calorie control thing at work... And we all know moving more is good for us.. Back in the day (when I was young *sigh*, I remember I just seemed to find it easy one summer to walk instead of drive, climb stairs instead of taking a lift, etc.. It seemed to produce magic results, but it does take effort (obviously!!)...

We'll all get there. And if we do have a 'bad day', make it just a day and not a week....

Back