It's Now Or Never

Aw, sorry to hear you feel so blah Pinkie. We do understand, I have been there!
I think that people have 3 main needs. Love, security and significance. How these needs are met vary from person to person. Sounds like you need an injection into each of these areas! For me they are met through my faith. I believe we are created, we are loved and we have a role to play in this world. At times it is difficult stumbling our way through a world that often seems unfair and cruel- or just down right boring!
I am sure that with some positive steps you will find your way again and in the meantime, rant away!!

Xx

gl12282 said:
P.S. For Maverick and Lil'Sausage who I know read your diary, I'm sorry for not being on your threads for a while. I am planning to get back there but I couldn't keep up with everyone's while work was so busy. (nothing personal !) I've managed to pick back up Jules thread now so I will be there soon.

No worries, mine is pretty boring at the moment, study and food is all it is!! xx

Thank you girls - it's really sweet of you all to post. :) xx

Wow, u really are having a tough time... Much hugs xx

If u find it therapeutic then keep on writing, u know well I write every detail of my boring life just to get it out!

It does seem like u have been working a lot more than usual, are u doing more hours just now or a heavy workload that's weighing on ur mind??

Aside from that tho, have you had a quiet weekend at home recently?? I know u like to do things with the bairn etc but maybe u need a time out for yourself. As for sitting at home feeling like ur life is wasting away, I think we all go thru stages of that. It sometimes feels like there is no end goal, but u do still have things u want to achieve, unfortunately day to day living slows down getting there but you will, we all will.

And just remember in a few years u will be desperate to spend time with the bairn cos once he's a teenager u might be ditched for a younger girl!!

I know I'm blithering rubbish but it made sense in my head!! xxx

Thanks Mave! Funnily enough, the past week or so work has gotten much quieter - where I've finished one project and have a new one starting. I can cope with work pressures, I'm used to it. And my new role should be much easier, or less pressured at least, than my old role.

Something that doesn't help though, is that I am on call a lot. Now its usually money for old rope, we are a fairly stable system so I don't get paged very often. However, you do need to be near an access point for your laptop (i.e. either dial-up or broadband connection, we're not allowed to use other people's wi-fi, and they won't give us a dongle). Therefore I can't just get up and go out for the day quite often. Which is really frustrating. I am craving a nice day out with the little man, as we spend too much time stuck at home, and when I finally get a day we can go out, it either pisses down, or like yesterday, was my sister's birthday shindig. Which was great, don't get me wrong - but I am feeling like I need to get out out, not just round someone elses house. Sound like a right spoilt brat don't I?

But, on the upside, I do have next week off work. I still haven't decided whether or not to go camping, or just do days out based at home. I will have a think over the weekend. I'm on call till Monday morning, so can't go anywhere till then anyway.

And I do love spending time with my wee man - it's the evenings once he's gone to bed that are the problem. Our life seems to involve rushing about all over the place, but never actually doing anything! If that makes sense anyway? But again, I have next week with him, then a week or so after that, his Dad is on call, so I get him for the whole weekend, and I'm certain I'm not on call - so we get some time together. We can have a day out, AND have a day bumming around at home.

I think that's really good advice Maverick. Pinkie, I'm sorry about how you're feeling at the moment. There's nothing worse than that feeling that there aren't enough hours in the day and that all there is time for is work and "responsibilities". It's good though that you have special occasions to look forward to. I think it's a great idea if you write down how you feel and just knowing someone is listening is sometimes a real help. Hope you don't feel too bad for long and that it is just star week. You're a really great gal and so funny, wise and interesting, you always make me feel happy when I read your witty posts! Xxxx

Cheers Jules. It's prob star week, worrying about my Nan, worrying about the bairn (though that started the day I found out I was pregnant, and will continue till the day I die! lol), worrying about/juggling money, and a build up of feeling bored, pointless etc etc etc. But I do know what to do to help lift me out of it - and writing is definitely my thing. That and little things to take care of myself. If I do go camping next week, I shall take my 'Therapy Book' with me and do lots of writing in that. And hopefully finish off my Rupert Everett book too - that is a funny read, I did another chapter last night, but fell asleep on the second again, ha!

I think it's a great idea to write it down. It helps to get some clarity over what you want and how you feel and it can help to be able to reread things when you feel a bit differently. I agree that some little targets will be helpful but make them achievable. Don't expect to be able to do everything at once. Try to think about one thing at a time and then work on the others when your targets are achieved.

I'm sorry to hear about your Nan. I will be thinking of her. I hope that the surgery goes ok. If you can't make it to visit, you could always give her a call so that she knows you are thinking of her ? I'm sure she would appreciate that.

Big hugs Pinkie.

Gail xx

P.S. For Maverick and Lil'Sausage who I know read your diary, I'm sorry for not being on your threads for a while. I am planning to get back there but I couldn't keep up with everyone's while work was so busy. (nothing personal !) I've managed to pick back up Jules thread now so I will be there soon.

Thank you Gail. I've just spoken to my Dad, I'm going to meet him at the hospital around 11:30. Apparently it isn't surgery she's going in for today, it's a CT scan (?) - to investigate what the lump/blockage is. We'll know more then. It's all really sad though. I think for the first time ever I'm just really coming to terms with what my Nan dying means for her and me, and my little boy too. She's just always been my Nan, she's always there - and she's always OK.

Aw, sorry to hear you feel so blah Pinkie. We do understand, I have been there!
I think that people have 3 main needs. Love, security and significance. How these needs are met vary from person to person. Sounds like you need an injection into each of these areas! For me they are met through my faith. I believe we are created, we are loved and we have a role to play in this world. At times it is difficult stumbling our way through a world that often seems unfair and cruel- or just down right boring!
I am sure that with some positive steps you will find your way again and in the meantime, rant away!!

Xx

Hey WG - thanks for your thoughts. A lot of what you say rings true with some of the counselling I've been through in the past - and for me it is often about finding love and happiness within myself. I am very hard on myself, I was never a person to sit about - and evenings spent doing so, with only a house to care for (once the bairn is in bed I mean) - just isn't me. But, it is part of my role as parent, so I need to make the best of it!

Anyhoo, I went out for my run this morning, it is getting easier I am sure of it. Managed the 25 mins relatively OK, though I was starting to struggle by the end.

I've spoken to my Dad and am going to pop up and see my Nan.
I'm going to cycle the bairn to Cubs, then cycle to WI and back later - really trying hard to be active as much as possible.

I am also going to tackle that bloody ironing later. Does my head in, and a messy house does not improve my mood. I am a bit of the tidy mind, tidy environment ilk.

I have also decided to shell out some cash and get my old decorator in to do my kitchen. I think that will cheer me up a little too. lol the rest of my bonus is going on a new bathroom sink, and when I can afford it in a few months, I'll buy a bath and get them both fitted!

So thanks once again girls. I really did need to let off steam, get that clarity back. I'm gonna shimmy off and have a wash so I'm ready to go to the hospital when my Dad calls.

Mwah! xx

Aww Pinkie, you are having a rough trot, bless you.

I think you need to step back and have a good look at yourself. You do an amazing job as a single mum and are always putting the bairn first - something us mums just have to do - you work hard too, dieting and all this exercise you're fitting in somewhere too. I work full time and have two kids, my husband has his own building business so works full time and is a part time professional rugby coach so coaches 3 nights a week, my son plays rugby on Saturday mornings then we are at rugby on Sunday afternoons for my husbands team - home and away, so I spend my evening washing/ironing/cleaning up and doing supermarket shop in there somewhere. You can only do so much before you'll burn out. Over Christmas I was quite poorly, so tired like I've never experienced before, achy joints, thinning hair etc, my doc did loads of test cos she thought it was thyroid (no such luck that I'd get an over active thyroid) anyway results came back to show my kidneys weren't working properly and something wrong with my red blood cells. Basically just stressed out to the max! So, Pinkie, plenty of early nights and lovely bubble baths, read a book in bed with a hot choc or something, make a bit of time for you. Ironing can wait - it'll still be there anyway (dogging stuff that it is).

Look after yourself and hope your Nan is ok.

Sending you lots of love and hugs and remember you are Super Mum!!

Aww Pinkie, you are having a rough trot, bless you.

I think you need to step back and have a good look at yourself. You do an amazing job as a single mum and are always putting the bairn first - something us mums just have to do - you work hard too, dieting and all this exercise you're fitting in somewhere too. I work full time and have two kids, my husband has his own building business so works full time and is a part time professional rugby coach so coaches 3 nights a week, my son plays rugby on Saturday mornings then we are at rugby on Sunday afternoons for my husbands team - home and away, so I spend my evening washing/ironing/cleaning up and doing supermarket shop in there somewhere. You can only do so much before you'll burn out. Over Christmas I was quite poorly, so tired like I've never experienced before, achy joints, thinning hair etc, my doc did loads of test cos she thought it was thyroid (no such luck that I'd get an over active thyroid) anyway results came back to show my kidneys weren't working properly and something wrong with my red blood cells. Basically just stressed out to the max! So, Pinkie, plenty of early nights and lovely bubble baths, read a book in bed with a hot choc or something, make a bit of time for you. Ironing can wait - it'll still be there anyway (dogging stuff that it is).

Look after yourself and hope your Nan is ok.

Sending you lots of love and hugs and remember you are Super Mum!!

That made me cry!!! :) But thanks Saddle Bags - sometimes it does just help to know you're not alone, as it can start to feel like a battle. But I never give up, even when I'm down and pretty much out.

I will do my ironing (as I'll feel much happier when it's done). And then I'm going to sit in front of the television, with an old film, and do my nails. And I will not go near by bedroom till half ten, when I will collapse! lol

0.5lb off today.

Breakfast:
Banana before run.
Later mixed fruit, branflakes (HEb) and fat free yoghurt.

Snack:
5 satsumas!

Tea:
Pan fried salmon, new potatoes, loads of lettuce leaves.

Coffee latte using half HEa with soya milk. Will find something to use other half on.

No syns. I don't really feel hungry.

My Nan has a perforated bowel, which they have found now after she's been there nearly 4 weeks. I know a couple of people who had that. One was elderly and died, the other a very healthy early 40s friend who nearly died. I think surgery is her only option, the children are all meeting the surgeon tonight (now) to discuss. So I'm really not sure how this is gonna turn out. :-(

I have done a shitload of ironing though. Send my Nan prayers tonight, as if they operate, it will be tonight.

Last edited:
Well done on your loss :)

Sure your Nan is being well looked after, hope she will be ok xxxx

Well done on your loss Pinkie.

So sorry to hear about your Nan. At least they know what is wrong now but I hope that they can fix it for her. Thinking of you.

Gail x

Hi girls. Thanks. Well my Nan is still with us. Op went well, and good news is she didn't need the ventilator. However, she is still critical, recovering in intensive care, and her kidneys are not so good so she's on dialysis. Next couple of days are critical, but she's made it through first 12 hours which is massive too. She has a colostomy bag, which they won't reverse as they don't believe she'd survive the op. She's been given a 30/40% chance.

My poor Dad is exhausted, I think we all are. I had to go in to work today, but was a bit of a zombie first thing lol I had to grab one of my mates to have a coffee with me (the one who's Mum died of similar a few years back). It really helped to sort me out before first meeting. I kept getting tears escaping which isn't a great look for the office.

Anyway, I didn't have breakfast till nearly one as felt sick.

Food so far:

3 apples for snacks
Large skinny latte (HEa).
Mixed fruit, branflakes (HEb) and two shape zero yoghurts.

Not sure about tea. Maybe a lentil and butternut squash if I can get my **** together.

Hoping I can sneak in a quick visit to my Nan, but with Beanie and ICU restrictions I suspect it won't be possible.

Awe Pinkie. Sending big hugs to you and your Nan. Nan's are so precious. I lost mine last October.
Thinking of you and hope your Nan goes from strength to strength.

Hugs

XxJulesxX

Thanks hun. I feel a little hope, as apparently her bloods are showing signs of improvement. They are giving her tonight on sedation, then depending on what happens hope to bring her round tomorrow. But apparently she is stable at the moment.

I know I probably seem like I'm overreacting, but I know my Nan. She was independent, proud, active, still driving her car and very much altogether despite her years. This is NOT her time! She is a fighter, and I hope she knows we're all there for her and love her and support her.

Thankfully for me, we've had systems failures tonight, which have kindly taken my mind off it all......;-)

So glad to hear that your Nan has made it through. I know it's early days but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thinking of you all.

Gail x

Awe glad her that she's through the worst. Thinking of you. Xxxxx

Back