It's Now Or Never

Lol yeah. He wants me to crack on too as I bought him the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and he's gagging to read that. I hadn't read to him for a few years as he preferred to read to himself. But I decided to bring it back a few nights a week as part of his calm down time before bed, and we've both really enjoyed it. The boy adores books.

I've read to him at bedtime from about 3 months old, and thinking about it during the day too when he was little. I've always really treasured that time, so am glad he was happy to read this with me. He is very lucky as he learnt to read at 3 and has got some fantastic books; fiction and fact. Consequently he's got pretty good general knowledge. Strangely though, he is not so good at all at literacy, where he has to write. Can never think of ideas, or how to elaborate those he does have, and to be honest its proving to be a bit of a struggle. When he does write though he has a good grasp of grammar/punctuation. Not complaining though, he enjoys virtually everything else, there could be worse issues to deal with, it just doesn't make sense to me!

What a lovely thing to hear that he likes reading so much. I feel like we stereotype kids too often with the idea "kids are only interested in video games and tv" (which is silly as I haven't read a book in ages) so it's great to hear that Steven is enjoying his books so much. Also good if you're enjoying reading to him that you've picked such a looooong series of books! You've got him now! Hehe!

Hmm well so far he has the teacher stumped with the writing. We'll see. He's bright enough. But very stubborn in his own way. Ha ha - not! Lol

He's halfway through Harry Potter too. I had lots of fun giving him all my old reading books too. He just demolishes them! Loves those Horrible History books, plus their geography equivalent. I got him a similar set of about 20 books, about people, called Dead Famous, for Christmas too. Made me chuckle seeing him engrossed in a book about Al Capone. It is lovely though, and I'm so glad he loves reading. Though trust me, he'd be on the sodding Wii playing FIFA11 all the time too given half the chance. But you make a good point Jules, we all stereotype all the time, yet often aren't much better ourselves. (I.e. I apply a 1 hour screentime rule for him, then spend 3 hours watching sodding motorbike racing.) Moi = hypocrite!
P.s. Yes, I probably am far too much of a stressbag to be a parent :)

I love being read to (if I can find anyone to do that and stay awake long enough to hear it !). I think it's great time with children.

Loved the photos :)

I am thinking of trying to book a basic motorcycle course over the summer (as I now find that I have a bit more holiday left than I thought I did). I will let you know how I get on. Am a bit worried that I am now too old to try that (I feel too old to do anything new that is a bit scary !!). Ho hum. May be coming to you for advice :)

Gail x

P.S. Great news about your Nan. I know it will be a slow recovery but I'm delighted that she's going in the right direction.

Gail x

You want the CBT Gail, it should cost around £130. Personally I think everyone should do it, people would be a darn sight more bike aware if they did. With that you can ride a 125 for 2 years. If you haven't done your theory and a full or A+ (or something like that, its the full test basically but restricts the power of bike you can have) within 2 years, your CBT will then run out and you can do it again. I think its a good way to get a taste of it though before you commit to the more expensive course. DAS will give you the full licence, and will cost around £550, assuming you pass first time. Even if you decide not to ride though, I don't believe it is money wasted, as it is so beneficial to you, even in the car, or as a pushbike user. That's my opinion anyway. I miss my bike terribly :-(

Anyhoo, had a nice day today. Went down the park as mentioned before and the bairn had fun playing with the others.

Food for today....

Breakfast:
Mixed fruit, yoghurt, branflakes (HEb). Apple.

Lunch:
KFC style chicken (5 syns for bread) , salads leaves, tomato and cucumber. Banana, apple, special k mini breaks (5 syns).

Snack:
Apple and two satsumas.

Tea:
Wholemeal penne pasta with passata and grated cheese (HEa). Basic but very nommy. I put chorizo sausage in the bairn's and he gnoshed the lot down too.

I'll probably have some mixed fruit and a shape zero later too.

Total syns: 10
Exercise: 40 mins cycling.

Am doing my weekly shop later so I can free up tomorrow for my shopping day with my sister. Will have to check out some eating out options as I'm sure lunch will be on the menu. We cycled all the way to the park and back today, which I enjoyed. Right now I feel pleasantly full. Once back from shopping and a possible visit to my Nan, I'm gonna have some tlc Natalie time. Run in the morning then I'll hit the shops. Yay!

Sounds like you had a really excellent day! Nice job on the 40 minutes of biking, and I hope your run tomorrow is really lovely. :D

I didn't know you had motor bike skills! o.o

Btw, I think you are a great mother. :):):)

Ah that's sweet of you - I do ok, he's still alive! lol

As for my motorbiking skills, I think there is a distinct lack of judging by my last ride out. Accident! :-( Now I just lust them from the outside. Yay!

But yes, we've had a lovely week. Back to work next week, but his Dad is on call next weekend, so I get him for the whole weekend. Super Yay! :-D

Pinkie
Finally caught up on your diary - mammoth read and I've done a fair chunk of it (but not all). Glad to hear your nan is back with you and improving. Must have been a traumatic few weeks for you and the family.

Found something else we sort of have in common as well as Admiral. My hubby is a petrol head! Used to just be F1 as we didn't have Sky in the UK but now he watches as much MotoGP as he can, as we can get that on out TV here in Spain, but we don't get the SBK stuff.

Yeah its the Isle of Man TT road race. The guys who do it are absolute loons! I'd love to do the IoM fortnight. Will have to be one for when the bairn is older and my holidays are my own.
Do go to the IoM TTs some time. We used to sail our boat from Conway to Castletown every year and were there one year during the first week and watched the Classic bikes race around the Southern 100 course. Fantastic - but as you say nutters!

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know when I book it :)

Gail x

Welcome Pomette!

Yes I am very verbose, I could prattle on for England! :) The one positive I am taking from my Nan being ill, is that it has brought me much closer to my extended family - Aunts and cousins. My parents always kept themselves to themselves and my memories are of 'having' to go and visit etc like it was all a big chore and they weren't very nice. That isn't the case, basically my Mum is anti-social. It will never change, and is quite sad, as she has no friends at all. My Dad is better, he has interests outside the home, but even he doesn't have a massive amount of friends, one or two. But yes, as a result, and also down to the power if Facebook before all this, I think I'm a lot closer to them all, and I know my Nan would want that.

I think I will do a lot more bikey stuff as the bairn gets older. I didn't have cable till I moved here over 4 years ago. Now I love my Eurosport and Sky Sports (though they cost a fortune). Bikes and cricket nom nom.
Gail, I shall look forward to your biker progress with interest! :)

Just done another run. Met a really lovely guy too who I was chatting to after run (married of course). Got home and realised I'd lost my phone. Had to walk back and find it, and bumped into said guy who helped me look for it (he was walking his dogs). Very nice, but quite typically bloody married. Ah well. One day I'll meet a lovely guy who isn't married. :). Was still nice to have a chat with a local though.

Sounds like you're having a great time with the bairn. What a shame this lovely hunk is married. Did you ask if he had any brothers? Well done on the running and being a good mum!! Xxxx

Girls, you will be glad to know I am rather pissed. :)
No doubt I will have a glass or two later and possibly join you (had a strange week) but it's a bit early for me yet! Enjoy your night

Hey pinkie, I am delighted u are pissed, was beginning to think I was the only alkie around here!! Hope you're havin a great day xx

Last edited:
Back