Its ok to just say how you feel

L.i.n.d.a

Fatgirlwannabeslim
I may not be perfect, I may depict depressive thoughts but I can only be myself. Good bad or Ugly. Im not the type to drag a person down, i applaude success and love peoples success stories. Thats why i am still on here....Every day is a new day of trying with sw, yes one day it may just click...who knows...until then ill keep on keeping on. Peace.*

Of course its okay to say how you feel hun. Its also okay for people to respond with the observation that you seem very down lovey. I don't know that i would respond to your posts the way some have no here, but generally thats because at present i'm not convinced you want to hear what they're saying. No one here is looking to upset you.

Linda, I think it's great that you're honest about how you feel. This is exactly what this forum is for, for support. Some people just don't understand how serious depression can be and think it can be cured with a bar of chocolate - someone once suggested that I come off the antidepressants I was on because it could just be 'time of the month hormones'!!!

If coming on here and venting helps you, go ahead. I'll sort out any haters ;)

Eamoo - there really aren't any haters on here at all. I agree that alot of people misunderstand depression & that may come out in some of their responses, but it doesn't mean they don't care.

I will talk to anybody openly about depression and how it makes individuals feel. I've been on all sides of this.... My family are people who don't do depression you pick yourself up give yourself a good kick up the arse and get on with life, depression is an excuse, that's before I was diagnosed with it!! ( I've never actually told my family) After being diagnosed I was so ashamed to be suffering "mental health issues". My mother Inlaw was a great help to me having suffered herself. A friend of mine recently took an over dose and I feel so bad because maybe if I had of been more open I cud of been more help to her when she needed it! Once these things are brought into the open it is surprising how many people have suffered to some extent. I do think people who have been there understand and it's very difficult for people who haven't to imagine what it's like at all and it shows in their responses.

Eamoo your post made me giggle, taking me back to when I had to have a medication review, my wonderful doctor was Un available and I saw another GP who suggested that too many people jump on the depression band wagon and had I considered that it may just be all in my head??

mcv said:
Eamoo your post made me giggle, taking me back to when I had to have a medication review, my wonderful doctor was Un available and I saw another GP who suggested that too many people jump on the depression band wagon and had I considered that it may just be all in my head??

That is BEYOND shocking! Of course it's in your head - its depression, a mental illness, which by its very definition means its in your head - doesn't means it's not a real illness.

Grrrrr - hate GP's who don't know what the hell they are talking about

I was in a similar situation when I first suffered with depression in my teens. The first Dr I saw told me I was 'just sad' (despite telling him I was having suicidal thoughts!) and it took a hell of a lot of courage to then see another Dr who was brilliant and got me fast tracked to counselling and gave me a lot of support.

Unfortunately the experience of the first Dr has stuck with me and it takes a lot for me to go now in any situation. I started feeling depressed again last year and went to the Dr about 3 months after I should have first gone. Luckily she was really understanding and I don't mean to sound dramatic but she pretty much saved my life. It still took about year to feel fully like myself again.

reminds me of when Tom Cruise said that Postnatal Depression was a load of rubbish and really critised Brooke Shields when she came out about have PND.
Tom Cruise and that doctor are horses a**es

hey there, i know how u feel. Pick yourself back up off the ground, every day is a new opportunity to try your best :) x

I have suffered depression on and off all my life! My mother, a highly strung individual, had it herself but in those days sufferers were branded nuts lol!

I really suffered after the difficult birth of my son, had complications and gained over 5st in weight which did not want to budge. Went to the doc who, after me pooring my heart out, asked me instead why I was so fat!! Did wonders for my depression which was probably post natal & sent me home with slimming tablets! They didn't work & by the time of my daughter's birth I was obese, riddled with depression & seriously suicidal after a failed marriage.

I have seen several psychiatrists over the years, been diagnosed with Major Depressive Illness & what I have learned is that those diagnosed are prone to reoccurence throughout life. It is indeed an illness & is actually an imbalance of chemicals in the brain for which antidepressants are necessary. However, it can take a long time before the right antidepressant is found before the patient see's any real progress.

And did you know that most antidepressants can usually make a patient gain weight? My happy pill of choice is fluoxetine specifically prescribed because of my weight problems.

2day I feel like crap! Still mourning the loss of my mammy (3 mths ago) so putting up the tree....hurt as this time last year on Christmas eve she was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer & I knew she wouldn't be here this Christmas. This morning I fell and ripped the ligaments in my ankle.......some excuse aye for not cooking the turkey lol! These are feelings I know with time will pass and I'll feel better eventually.

L.i.n.d.a. do be aware that dieting can lead to a further depressive feelings if yr body is not getting the right nutrients so ensure yr diet is not lacking. When u start to lose the weight, it will lift you without doubt. And don't think of it as dieting which to me means suffering and doing without, think of it as a change of eating........ ;)

In the meantime, if yr still feeling down, do go and have a talk to a doctor that listens....or change to one that does, darling.

Good luck.

Back