It's the final countdown! Losing it - Phase 2!

We'll see. We're doing a fully-catered chalet this year - I've never done one before. Deal is: full breakfast (hot & cold) ready for you in the morning; tea and cake when you get back from the slopes in the afternoon and a 3 course dinner with wine every evening. We are going to have to do a LOT of skiing to keep the pounds at bay! :)

Sounds fabulous! Just enjoy it! You are doing well not gaining and it's good to "live" life plenty of time to restrict calories on your return.

Hi Kira! We got back from the ski trip Saturday night - had a wonderful time! Lots of fresh snow, great skiing, and wonderful food/wine. Weighed myself Monday morning and had gained 1.5kg. Not surprised as we had breakfast, afternoon tea, 3 course dinner, alcohol all catered; plus we were skiing several hours a day which had to build some muscle. I was really happy cause apart from feeling tired at the end of some days, I was never worn out, sore, exhausted - felt good, fit and really, really enjoyed the skiing in ways I haven't done in years. Woo hoo!

Now I'm working on getting rid of the 1.5kg before heading off to the US mid-April for fun and work - I'll be there 2 weeks and we all know what food and portions are like in the US!!!

Wow! That sounds fantastic! I'm sure you'll get rid of the gain fairly quickly mind you going the states will be hard! Lovely food and huge portions sizes are hard to resist at the best of times and even harder on holiday!

Well, back a week now and back to eating in a more moderate manner. Have lost the better part of a kilo, so figure it'll take another week to get back to the weight I was before leaving for ski vacation. Course I wonder if some of the gain is muscle given that we were skiing 5-6+ hours a day. But still...
I did notice that the weight gain seems to be all in my midriff (trousers/jeans are a little tighter).

On the good news, this week while training I decided to double the consecutive time I run on the treadmill - previous was 5min.... I did 10min and discovered I could keep going, so went to 20! I could have kept going, but I only have so much time in the morning before I have to get ready for work. It's really, really boring - doing Tabatas is much less boring because you're counting off seconds and keeping track of where you are in a set - but for the first time ever I actually believe that I could train for, and run, a 5k. Am working up to making the commitment to doing one this year.

Losing weight is just one piece of this puzzle; being healthy, challenging yourself on what you can do physically, feeling good - that's a huge part as well. Woo hoo!

Tizzy your doing fab on both the diet and the exercise side, 5 to 6 hours skiing is amazing especially as it was more than just one day not to mention running for a constant 20 mins, your doing blooming great :)
I can't wait to get back into my walking, just waiting for a free day and some nicer weather although waiting for the latter is a long shot here in the North East lol. I always feel better after exercise its just getting the motivation to actually do it x x

How are you doing Tizzy?

Hey all! I'm doing ok. Got back from skiing which was fab, despite the kilos gained and went straight into a crazy and fairly stressful quarter end close. Weighed myself Monday and found I had gained back the weight I lost from the ski trip, so now have signs posted on my computer, in my log book, at home all saying "NOT DONE YET!" I think I'm so pleased to be able to do things and I've been about the same weight (barring ski trip) for almost 3 months that I had sort of accepted it.

However, a gain of just 5lbs does not feel good at all and that, coupled with a picture from the ski trip that clearly shows my still pudgy (albeit much smaller) middle has reminded me that really....I'm NOT DONE YET!!!

So, last week I got to 30minutes running on the treadmill - twice! And today I did tabatas. Am beginning to think I should sign up for a 5k and take this training seriously. Also today I took a 1 hour walk with a colleague and have been using the stairs in the building (68 from ground floor to my office and 109 from ground floor to hotel room). Energy is back. Working on the commitment and the eating cause I am HUNGRY!!! Need to eat more protein....

I'm not on Cambridge - decided I would eat a CD product a day or every other day because I do believe they are full of vitamins, etc. (still haven't gotten sick and it's been 14 months!) - and so I am watching what I eat and getting back to salads and choosing healthier options.

That's all the news from here. Hope you are all doing great!

Tizzy thats fab progress on the running!! You should sign up on the 5k it will be so motivating to keep,fit and healthy and eat well too. 5lb gain isn't bad and you'll have that off in no time.

Hi all,

I'm back from 2 weeks in the US where I had spent a great few days at a health spa with my aunt, did loads of shopping and also squeezed in some work. Based on some work with an exercise physiologist, I know my body is in good shape and that if I lose more than 5 or so lbs, that's my vanity rather than necessity. Alway reassuring. I also signed up for a 5k later in the year - am both excited and nervous about it, but it gives me a deadline and purpose to keep up with my workout schedule.

Basically, I feel that I'm not in diet mode anymore - I'm in living the rest of my life mode. I still want to lose a few lbs, but I also want to get on with enjoying life, taking up sailing agin, looking into going horseback riding, etc. Losing some more weight is mostly to get into the next size down and to give myself a range to manoeuvre in - the weight I am now I would consider the high end of the range.

So while I may pop in from time to time to see how you're all doing and to gain inspiration if the weight doesn't come off as fast I'd like or, worse, starts to creep back on, I'm switching form a multiple times a day visitor to a 1-2/month one.

And the lifelong challenge begins....not to gain it all back again!!!! There's a study in process in the US called the National Weight Loss - it is made up of people who have lost 30lbs or more and have kept it off 1 or more years. 80% women, average age 45, average weight loss 65lbs. The 3 things the people who have kept the weight off all seem to have in common are:
- regular exercise: multiple times per week
- balanced meals: and when overeat, cut back on next meal(s)
- journaling: keeping track of both exercise and what they ate

Best of luck and until next time!

Great to hear how you are doing Tizz! It must be great knowing you are not on a "diet" anymore! It must be very liberating to be living your life and not dieting but keeping the weight in check. I'm so envious you are doing a 5 k. I'd love to run again but I'm still nervous about the PF flaring up.

Let us know how you get on. And we'll done TiZz!

Hiya Tizzy so lovely to see you and amazingly well done you for you're amazing journey you're almost there i'm so pleased for you :)

Back