jacket potatoes

youcanhumpmyleg

how do you all cook ur spuds????? im having some for dinner and want to do it the oven way so the skins are crispy but how long do i do it for????

Microwabe for 10mins, then put in oven at 200 degrees for 1/2 an hour wrapped in foil. I also put a bit of salt on the skin.

Yep microwave is the best way. I do love the crispy skins too, best to experiment to see how you like them, after they come out of microwave I like to give a light spray of Spraylite and rub salt and pepper onto skin, dont forget to cut through skin before you microwave otherwise it will explode. If you get some butterbuds to add after they are cooked even better .

I microwave in the oven for like 6 mins so til almost fully cooked and then in the oven (GM6) for 20 or so mins. :)

They turn out great and husband who is a potato snob practically drools when he hears we have jackets for dinner! LOL.

If I want a crispy skin I usually stick a metal skewer through them and cook them in the oven on about 180/160 (fan oven) for about an hour. If I'm only cooking one though I just prick it all over with a fork and stick it in the microwave. I don't mind soggy skin though!

I maintain that Maris Pipers are the best potato for jacket potatoes, wedges, chips, roasting and mashing as they are a floury potato :)

I also do as Eye6769 does and spray them with Frylight and then I sprinkle whatever flavour I feel in the mood for over the skin eg barbeque or cajun - even curry powder is nice! xx

I cut a big cross in them (as you'd cut them when they're done to put the filling in, if that makes sense...), run them under cold water and then sprinkle loads of salt on them. Put them in the oven on full whack, once they've started to crisp up then take them out, brush the salt off them, and put them back in until they're done.

I was told to do them this way by a chef I used to work with, and haven't done them any other way since. Makes the skin crisp up lovely and they don't seem to take as long as if you just chuck them in without the water/salt/cutting.

I am a bit of a spud snob though, cooking them in the microwave for any length of time is an absolute last resort for me!

Well i only cook them in pair (don't one to get lonely lol) both Micro'd together for 5 mins turn over and then another 5 mins then i pick them up throw them up in the air cause they are hot i and i forgot that when picking them up, Then try and open the oven door with my foot while juggling the jackets to be.....Then throw on to the over rack, no dish or baking tray no salt as we shouldn't have lots of salt in our diets and 30 mins later 2 very yummy jackets.......

Now i think my secret to the yummiest jackets is the juggling of them before the over ;)

Enjoy, cause thats we are having tonight :)

I tend to microwave them for around 4 minutes and then whack them in the oven for just under an hour - but then I like them when the skins are really crunchy!

I think that maybe those words you shout when you pick up the hot potatoes probably has an effect too!!

I use Maris Piper or Marfona potatoes, stab them all over with a knife, pop them in the oven on the rack, not on a baking sheet. About an hour or so, depending on the size of the potato, around 190 or 200 degrees depending on what else is in the oven.

OR, if I am not using the oven for anything else I will use my Remoska from Lakeland. Again, stab the potatoes, spray the Remoska pan with frylight, pop them in until they are done.

And thanks for the reminder - I am just in time to get one in for lunch!!

I think that maybe those words you shout when you pick up the hot potatoes probably has an effect too!!

I dont want to scare my Jackets out of there skin!!! :8855:

My over temp is either off or full blast, so mine are cooked at 230 (forgot to say)

well made them bout 20 mins in microwave cos they were HUGE potatoes (didnt realize how big tbh) then 20 mins in oven and they came out perfect and crispy :D yummyyyyy thanks guys x

I put mine in the oven for about 50 minutes and while theyre in there ill cook chicken and set the plates with Salad so it doesnt feel as tho im waiting forever :) not too keen on micro ones.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well, as I said earlier, I remembered to put the potatoes in the Remoska, thanks to this thread.

What I didn't remember was to switch the thing on!!! So when it was time for me to leave to go and have my hair cut they weren't done, so I had to turn it off and go out.

So, when I came home, I cut them in half, put a little parmesan cheese on the top and switched on again. Then forgot about them, so when I finally ate them they were slightly more than crispy on top!

Gosh they were delicious!!!!

AnnaFaraday said:
Well, as I said earlier, I remembered to put the potatoes in the Remoska, thanks to this thread.

What I didn't remember was to switch the thing on!!! So when it was time for me to leave to go and have my hair cut they weren't done, so I had to turn it off and go out.

So, when I came home, I cut them in half, put a little parmesan cheese on the top and switched on again. Then forgot about them, so when I finally ate them they were slightly more than crispy on top!

Gosh they were delicious!!!!

What is a remoska?

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Back