½ cup of frozen peas
½ tsp mild Chilli powder
½ tsp Turmeric
400g Chopped Tomatoes
400g Chicken Stock

Optional

(100g large cooked & peeled prawns)

Method

Chop onion & garlic. Slice the celery, fine chop the chilli and the pepper disregarding the seeds.

Heat a pan sprayed with Fry Light, adds onion and fry until soft, add celery, garlic and chilli, chilli powder, and add the cut strips of chicken and slice 110g of the smoked sausage. Cook for 2 mins turning to colour the meat.

Add rice, peas, turmeric and cook for 2 mins stir constantly, add tomatoes and stock then season, bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.

Add prawns if required and mix with the rice to heat thoroughly.

Any comments, not tried yet but will have a go tomorrow.
Pete

Hey Pete that looks like a good SW recipe. I will try it out next week and let you know what I think. And if you do please let us know how it goes:D.

I tried it in Florida and it was such a disappointment.

I was "warned" it was too spicey - yeah right! - "great" i thought. Disappointed as it was rather tame, in fact quite bland.

Perhaps I'll stick with Indian curries for spice.

Jambalaya is my OH favourate meal! I have always used a weight watchers recipe which serves 4 and works out at 2.5 syns per person (it has chorizo in it which is where the syns are).

If you want me to post the recipe let me know :)

bilsat said:
Is there a SW recipe for Jambalaya?
This is my idea of one.

Pete’s Creole Jambalaya

Ingredients

1 Onion
2 Garlic cloves
1 Celery stick
1 Red chilli
½ Red peppers
½ Green peppers
1 Chicken breast
Matterson Reduced fat Smoked Pork Sausage
(require only ½ of it,110g, 4 Syn)
175g Long grain rice
½ cup of frozen peas
½ tsp mild Chilli powder
½ tsp Turmeric
400g Chopped Tomatoes
400g Chicken Stock

Optional

Method

Chop onion & garlic. Slice the celery, fine chop the chilli and the pepper disregarding the seeds.

Heat a pan sprayed with Fry Light, adds onion and fry until soft, add celery, garlic and chilli, chilli powder, and add the cut strips of chicken and slice 110g of the smoked sausage. Cook for 2 mins turning to colour the meat.

Add rice, peas, turmeric and cook for 2 mins stir constantly, add tomatoes and stock then season, bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.

Any comments, not tried yet but will have a go tomorrow.
Pete

I have a recipe for Jambalaya, it can be very spicy by adding more of the spice, or less if found to spicy!!
I'm making it next week as it's SYN free and a gorgeous comfort food!!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...ncluding-gravy-sauce-recipes.html#post3558273

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Attachments

• image-2953588273.jpg
    image-2953588273.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 198
Jambalaya 2

Tried my recipe for Jambalaya today for dinner, I altered it a bit but not much. It was delicious! Took two portions down to the Community centre for the Staff and they soon polished it off....a hit with all.
The Mattersons Sausage works out at 1 Syn per person.

Pete’s Creole Jambalaya

Feeds 4 people

Ingredients

1 Onion
2 Garlic cloves
1 Celery stick
1 Red chilli
½ Red peppers
½ Green peppers
150g Chopped Chicken breast
Matterson Reduced fat Smoked Pork Sausage
(you require only ½ of it,110g, 4 Syn = 1 Syn per person)
175g Long grain rice
½ cup of frozen peas
½ tsp extra hot Chilli powder
½ tsp Turmeric
400g Chopped Tomatoes
400mL Chicken Stock

Optional

Method

Wash rice under cold water several times until the water runs clear, put to one side.

Add rice, peas, turmeric and cook for 2 mins stir constantly, add tomatoes and stock then season, bring to the boil, cover and simmer, stirring at times to stop the rice sticking to the pan until the liquid is absorbed.

Attachments

• IMG_0152 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0152 (Large).JPG
    83 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0154 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0154 (Large).JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 200
jambalaya 2

Hi Jacqui3444.
Yes I would like to see your recipe for the Jambalaya to see what's different. I made mine after looking on Wikipedia about Creole Jambalaya and how it differs from others , but then I had to modify for SW !
Pete

My recipe for Jambalaya is as follows:

Spicy Jambalaya
Serves 4 – 2 syns per serving
Ingredients
1x 175g chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
3 tablespoons Cajun spice
1x medium onion, chopped
2x garlic cloves, crushed
1x fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
1x yellow and red pepper, deseeded and chopped
850ml chicken or vegetable stock
80g pack sliced chorizo
1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200g long grain rice

Method
1. Place the chicken breast in a small bowl and sprinkle over the Cajun spice. Toss together and set aside.
2. Spray a large frying pan with low fat cooking spray. Add the chicken and stir fry for 4 minutes. Stir in the onion, garlic, chilli and peppers and fry for another 4 minutes until they are slightly browned and softened.
3. Add the stock, chorizo, tomatoes and rice and then bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid.

Add more chilli if you like your food especially hot.

Its absolutely delicious :D Let me know what you thnk if you try it :)

I will try your version, it sounds great, I didn't use chorizo as I thought it was to high in Syns but it's the same as the mattersons so I will try it that way.

I have a recipe for Jambalaya, it can be very spicy by adding more of the spice, or less if found to spicy!!
I'm making it next week as it's SYN free and a gorgeous comfort food!!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...ncluding-gravy-sauce-recipes.html#post3558273

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Kwise your jambalaya has become a favourite in my house. The OH just loves it. I do this on a friday night and I prefer it than getting a take away so it is my treat and is completely free.
Looking forward to trying these vatiations too so thanks for starting the thread Pete.

I went to Sainsburys yesterday and they have 12 small Cherizo sausages in a packet, four of them weigh close to 80g which works out at 2 Syn, will try them for dinner today, let you know how it turns out.....

Hi All.
Tried Jacqui3444 recipe, it punches a kick!very nice, tested it on our Community centre Staff as well and it went down a treat with all...
I added Turmaric and peas otherwise kept to the recipe but used Sainsbutys Mini chorizo's 4 of them is around 80g and 2 syn each in stead of the 80g pack of slices.

Attachments

• IMG_0163 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0163 (Large).JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0164 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0164 (Large).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0166 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0166 (Large).JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 204
Hi All.
Tried Jacqui3444 recipe, it punches a kick!very nice, tested it on our Community centre Staff as well and it went down a treat with all...
I added Turmaric and peas otherwise kept to the recipe but used Sainsbutys Mini chorizo's 4 of them is around 80g and 2 syn each in stead of the 80g pack of slices.

Glad you enjoyed it :D
The good thing with the recipe is I guess you can add whatever you like. My brother adds prawns and uses pork instead of chicken. I think he also adds mushrooms.

Just cooked your recipe and it was delicious.... And so cheap to make! Will definalty be making it again thanks xxxx

Back