Jamie Oliver 30 Min Meals

sallouise

just watching jamie olivers 30 min meals thought i would get some recipe ideas and shocked at how much oil he uses in his meals. thought he was meant to be all for healthy eating :confused:

Totally agree Sal!! Why is it that he, and loads of other chefs put olive oil over everything!!

He does one recipe with sweet potatoes and sea bass, which when slightly tweaked for our requirements is really good though - and no oil!!

I was ready an article in the WW magazine and people how have been to his restaurant in London have said how oily everything is!

i guess some of his recipes could have the oil removed and suit our requirements and still be lovely. loved a cod with tomato paste and breadcrumb top he just did :) but he was toasting some cashew nuts just a min ago and said i will add a tiny bit of olive oil and i swear it was a good couple of table spoons worth :eek:

i am not surprised one bit about his restaurant. is he endorsing olive oil as well as sainsburys these days?

that sounds nice do you know where the recipe for that is? :)

In the med they are the healthiest people and use lots of olive oil its the healthiest oil you can get...

I have been to his Brighton restaurant and the food is amazing :)

Here is a link I've found for the recipe

Jamie Oliver's 30-minute meals: Sea bass and pancetta, sweet potato mash, Asian greens, berry ice-cream and sparkling lemon-ginger drink | Mail Online

After cooking it for the first time, I ditched the fennel seeds, it was a little too overpowering and just cooked the sea bass in fry light and lemon juice. Also found that the mash and seabass on their own were plenty for the meal. (haven't made any of the other recipes on this link so can't comment!) Also, I didn't use any pancetta, so it was just seabass and sweet potato. Enjoy!

I have his book I will have a look through lol :)

Were you watching him today Sal..?? I was..and I kept saying the same thing..For something that's suppose to be healthy he uses loads of salt/pepper and Lots of OIL! Haha

Extra virgin olive oil is a natural juice full of flavor and aroma, with high vitamin A, D, K and E content. It has an anti-oxidant effect on the human body cells - 80% of extra virgin olive oil works as a protection against cholesterol, while it stimulates bone growth, and calcium absorption.

Fats and oils are an essential part of a balanced diet. Olive oil is easily digested - and quickly and completely absorbed by the system. In addition, trace components like chlorophyll help the absorption, and the aroma and taste stimulate our appetite - an important assist for the digestive process.

A diet that includes olive oil aids the circulatory system thereby reducing the risk of arteriosclerosis and other circulatory ailments. The non-saturated fats, which make up olive oil, not only are cholesterol-free, but also have actually been shown to reduce cholesterol levels.

Frank Sacks of the Harvard School of Public Health writes: "An olive-oil-rich diet is more effective than a low-fat diet in controlling and treating obesity. Moreover, it leads to longer-lasting weight loss and it is easier to keep to because it tastes good."

See also...

i didnt know that either so thanks for that :) i got told by my dr to ditch all oil from diet and if you do have to fry anything just a few tiny sprays of fry light

Whilst it is a healthy oil for you, I've gotten used to not using olive oil for cooking and don't use it on salads, but when a meal I get when I'm out has oil over the it, it tends to leaves a oily film in my mouth. Nothing to do with Xenical, just over the years have become used to cooking without it!

It's like salt - how much to chefs throw in dishes when they are cooking, they say "a pinch", but it sure does not look like it! I wont mention James Martin on Satuday Kitchen Live and the butter he using, because it's James Martin and he can get away with it!!

Oh yes!! I think my friend would wholeheartedly agree with you about the mother-in-law thing, that's probably why she's now back over here!!

gordon ramsay is the one with seasoning overkill but like you with james martin, gordon can get away with it in my book.

Don't blame you Rach, Winsford is lovely. I went to a friends wedding there a few year ago.

Oh Sal, hasn't been a bit of a naughty boy recently?!

Back