Jamie Oliver: Eat to Save Your Life Tonight (Wed) 10:00pm

Hi KD,

Have you tried logging on to BBC Food and then Healthy Options.

You will find hundreds of recipes just for maintaining health, not for losing weight. You can even search on two or three ingredients you have in the fridge/cupboard.

Yes, I have seen that. Thing is, I'm not really talking about me. Reckon I'm doing okay. But if you count up how many diets there are, along with how many 'menus for the day' for a dieter, it's very easy to see what you should be doing. There's millions on the web.

Now look for a daily menu for someone who neither wants to put on, or lose and it's a whole different story.

Yep, you can find recipes sometimes, but not daily plans. Not usually. Not that I want a daily plan, mind you :D

can't see it now though:confused: It's gone????? Either that or I need to put in a fresh pair of contacts :D
Probably gone off in a huff because you said you didn't need it!!!!! :D

Not sure what you are looking for (for others) if you don't want recipes and you don't want a daily menu plan? A calorie book?

I know what you mean as so many of us wonder what maintaining really means in the real world.

Not sure what you are looking for (for others) if you don't want recipes and you don't want a daily menu plan? A calorie book?

No, I'm not either :D I was just thinking aloud. If you watch the cookery programmes, you usually see 'fine cuisine':rolleyes: not necessarily healthy though. Or you see programmes on how to eat to lose weight.

It's not so often that you find a series dedicated to just eating healthily.

There's the odd bit here and there, but since that's what most people should be doing most of the time (unless you want to lose weight), it just seems strange to me that there isn't the coverage there.

So, just think it would be good to have a series on feeding the family healthily (and on a budget), or Breakfasts and Lunchboxes for the family. That sort of thing. Not necessarily low fat, just a healthy amount.

Just to give people ideas. There are bits around (especially for kids lunchboxes), but rarely on the TV.

Problem with that is that people only really think about heathly eating with weight loss - there don't seem to be many interested in maintenance issues for want of a better phrase. And if there isnt the interest it wont become a programme - sad but true!

Problem with that is that people only really think about heathly eating with weight loss

That's it. Very sad. I was talking to one of my young students. Aged 16, tiny little thing. She told me that she was interested in nutrition and that she knew all about healthy eating.

But then she went on to tell me that it meant low fat, low calorie foods. She talked about how she never had butter or margarine on her sandwiches, that her Mum never cooked with fats (that was including healthy oils I noted), that she wouldn't have nuts as they were high fat.

there don't seem to be many interested in maintenance issues for want of a better phrase. And if there isnt the interest it wont become a programme - sad but true!

I'm not so sure about that, especially if it was aimed at parents and feeding families. I'm sure lots of parents would be interested in cooking programmes that would give them ideas of things to feed the kids that was healthy, quick and not too expensive.

Did you not see the veggie guy who was in a worse way than the rest of them?

He was a vegetarian who didn't eat any vegetables!!! :eek: His diet was so awful he admitted he should call himself a non-meater eater and not a vegetarian. A vegetarian diet (when done properly) is actually incredibly healthy. :)

They're fascinating aren't they. Did you see the one where they sliced the chap with a sort of heavy duty industrial food slicer?

Was that before or after the chopped off his leg?

It's so interesting isn't it. Managed to get son and his young girlfriend (both aged 15) watching it. Thought the girlfriend would go all silly, but they were riveted to it.:clap:

I heard there were loads of complaints about the programme, but the complaints were dismissed :clap: Very educational :cool:

To be honest I think it's such a taboo subject with some people, there should be more programmes like that on TV to educate people, it's not disgusting, it's a fact of life... FAB..

it's a fact of life... FAB..
...........or death;)

People were saying the programme Autopsy was sensationalised:confused: It was nothing like that at all. It was just very interesting and well presented.

Picking up on something RD said on another thread about the added sugars and salt that is put in foods today that weren't there 30 years ago.

so true, and also portion sizes. I saw something else where they compared portion sizes of cakes and meals from 30 years ago.

It was amazing. Everything looked like it had doubled in size:eek:

Am I sick because I just had to watch this again this afternoon and I'm still gobsmacked!! :eek:

Am I sick because I just had to watch this again this afternoon and I'm still gobsmacked!! :eek:

No, not at all Diva!! :D I have been talking about this programme to everyone for these past two days and it has had a major, major impact on what I have been eating. I can't wait to watch the repeat on Sunday and this time I plan to record it so that I can keep it. Live changing info. An absolutely brilliant programme.

KD, have a look at the February issue of Delicious magazine.

It is devoted to healthy eating. Ignore the free extra bit on 'Thinner Dinners' which you don't want.

Aurora, you are missing the point. Tut:rolleyes::D

What I'm saying is that we need more programmes on how parents can feed their families (preferably on a budget). Not to lose weight, but just to eat healthily. Not just to say this is bad for you, or that is bad for you....but to give more examples of good, healthy, simple, home cooking that doesn't have loads of ingredients (which frankly frightens a lot of busy people to death!)

I hear so many people say they can't cook the basic things. It's not their fault. It's a different generation. I see the most horredous lunch boxes at school. It's scary.

Our school doesn't offer school meals, so it's up to the parents and so many just don't know how to put together a healthy lunchbox....or they do, but presume kiddo won't like it.

Jamie O, might have done wonders at telling people they should be feeding their kids healthy food, but there wasn't enough back up of 'this is how to do it'.

Of course, you could go out and buy his book, but if you compare the amount of programmes for dieters, with the amount of programmes for people who just want to eat healthily (which isn't necessary low fat), you'll see quite a difference.

I'm lucky. My mother cooked and we had to learn at an early age. As soon as I reached about aged 9 or 10, one of my jobs in my rota was to cook for the family.

No ready meals. We're talking about peeling real potatoes here :D

My kids are used to healthy meals, and now the youngest is 15, he's really aware of what he needs. He understands basic nutrition and tends to turn to healthy alternatives by choice....but I'm one of the lucky ones. I've learnt from my Mum and by trial and error, because I was too tight fisted to buy ready meals when they first came out and were so expensive.

I could write in the newsletter "please buy the latest edition of Delicious, so you can learn how to feed your kids", but it wouldn't go down well :D. Rather than just saying "you are doing it wrong", lots of "hey...try this", would be good;)

Back