JANUARY MONEY CHALLENGE!

Oooh well done Maverick! C

Hitting the shops today. If I buy anyhing it will be paid for in cash. I got an M&S £200 gift card from in laws so that will be spent wisely.
No credit card so all what I spent over Xmas was paid in cash.
If you get Ocado in your area you get £10 off your first shop over £40.
If you have a Lloyds bank account they do offers. I made £20 in Dec just by opting in to a couple of the offer.one was spend £50 in Ocado and get £10 and Ocado sen me a deal so my £80 shop came to £40..Not everyone gets the same offers.OH gets different from me but as we have joint account we can take advantage of both offers.
Sainsburys I had shop of just over £100 and ended up paying £1.23 by using coupons and a gift card that was given to me by BT and some of my Nectar points.
View attachment 117416

Hi Cavegirl - I'm with Lloyds Bank too - how do I get the offers? Oh and I should say yes - I'm in! Got a rather massive credit card bill in the post this morning. I'll be able to pay it off before the due date next month, only if I'm careful with my spending. Frugality r me (for once!)

Can I ask you guys for some advice please?

We got our bed yesterday and it is 0% so never have to worry about interest but we got it over three years so it doesn't end until 2017, I'm wondering whether it would be better to pay a larger payment and have it over either two or just a year. Would mean a bit of scrimping and would mean probably no holidays but it would be paid off quicker.

If I had to pay interest it would be a no brainer but because it's not I can't decide lol

If it's no interest I'd keep it until 2017. Lower repayments and your not affected by interest so why make things harder for yourself x

i agree reed keep it as it is & you benefit from lower payments, if you do have spare cash put it in a little savings pot :)

I agree with Flabtofit, unless you can see your circumstances changing dramatically in the next 3 years where you would be thankful not to have to pay out monthly :)

I have had my first bit of good news this morning, which will eventually help me financially. I have passed the first of 3 assignments which will fully qualify me for my job!! I am determined to submit the other 2 before bf comes home and I will hopefully get a good payrise at the end of that too. Need to get cracking on the second one now!!

wow that's brill, what do you do?

Thanks pixie. Really interesting read there and I agree with the others that a month seems more achievable to start with. I quite like the idea so plan to give it a go this month. I have two things planned so those are on my 'need' list as they are long standing plans but anything else, if it's not free, will be a 'no' from me!! I am never bothered about drinking when I go out so no reason why I can't have fun still.

Payday for me today and by tomorrow when my bills come out I'll be back in my overdraft again *sigh*. This is getting silly now so I want to tackle this first. Then my credit card. Luckily those are the only debts I have but they will take a long time to get rid of. Month at a time is all I can do and I'm going to try my best.

I have spoken to some friends recently and was shocked to find so many people in debt as well. Just goes to show you don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I had assumed that I was the only one wanting to use this year to sort out finances and save for some things; like a holiday with bf in September and a girls weekend away at Easter. But it seems I'm not alone. They aren't close friends so not the kind I can get support from and tell the ins and outs of my debts but it was a relief to know I'm not alone (as horrible as that sounds).

Definitely don't know what goes on behind closed doors! Somebody was telling us about some ppi money they got back the other day and it was quite an eye opener when they mentioned the stuff they had had the loans out for in the first place!

Trouble is because so many people are doing this going into debt to have things they can't afford it puts pressure on people to keep up with them etc

Completely agree about that emsie! I am trying a new mantra of if i want it, I have to save for it! My credit card is coming out of my purse so I think properly about what I spend and if I want to spend on it, I have to think about it first!

I have decided to try this fast thing for a month and see where it gets me. I'm going to save all my receipts and look at what I have spent at the end of the month. It will be a real eye opener I think! Maybe if a few people are giving it a go we can all report back on how we are doing on it!

Emsie your brill, we do all feel the need to keep up & really don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

When OH dad died he left us some money & we paid off our credit cards, but I want to save more & get out of the overdraft I've now found myself in. Also with close friends. OHs dad etc dying it makes me realise life is short & I want to enjoy my time with OH & do what we want to do, which means traveling, so that's my reason for saves & cutting back.

Kev always says "plastic" when we see people without a job going on 5* holidays and buying brand new cars. You just never know, you're very right. We've lost a lot of people in the last few years and it's very clear to us that what we enjoy is getting away and relaxing with each other (nightmare family lol) but I try and find the best price and then I save for it.
I'm really proud that we cleared the credit cards and overdraft, sometimes it would be handy to have one I think but that's usually when there is a cheap deal that runs out before payday lol
(Read ******* deal for a week in Greece for £200 each but it ran out before we got paid boo)

Maybe it's not the bed but a new mattress is needed, I was waking up with aching hips & bought a memory foam mattress (on offer from G****) & it's brill, I don't wake up with aches & pains anymore.

We bought a new bed and memory topped mattress from Dreams last Oct as we were waking up the same. Omg it's like sleeping on clouds and its really warm in winter.
Apologies for talking about spending in a no spend thread lol.
I'm always frugal come New Year :)

Morning all, nice to see everyone is inspired!

I have to get some repairs to my car in January but other than that, I plan to tell my friends that I will be a hermit in January and will have no unnecessary spending.

I still have debt left over from my student days and at one point last year I was working 2 jobs to manage it. However that in itself made me pretty miserable. I now have one job (I'm a Paraplanner for a financial adviser for those who asked) and my salary increases with each exam I pass so I'm not in a place where paying debts is ruling my life. Like many I used to live in my OD and that annoyed me soooo much. But when the bank started adding extra charges for having it, I decided to get rid and managed to get it on to a 0% credit card, which again, I'm paying down.

Obv at the moment, we are saving for a holiday but I am still paying down debt, so it's massively important for me to keep going. I have my friends coming round tonight, and tbh I haven't had them round much since we moved in over a year ago. Bf and I decided we were not going to furnish our house on credit, what is the point? So it still looks a little bare around the edges!! But it's our own little house and we love it and I need to learn that not having it look perfect isn't the end of the world! We have friends whose homes look like they come straight from a catalogue, and it makes me wonder if they've gotten into debt to make it that way...

My friend's MIL bought them a new 3d 50" telly for Xmas, which made me cringe... I think ours is a 32" which tbh is fine by me, I don't like it when the tv looks too big for the room!! But I know my friend and her oh are going to come round and take the piss outta our "small" tv... I'm sure the last one they had was at least 42"... Grr

Anyway, sorry for the rant, just feels like we are the only ones who can't afford everything we would like sometimes...

That's a ridiculous pressie, sorry for your friends but that blew my mind, we got a shredder from Inlaws this year and I was so happy lol!

I do care what others think (I wish I didn't) about the house (it all needs decorating but technically not our own yet and I don't want to spend too much money on it just in case) we tend to stick to the rooms people see, but still not showroom standard by any means! How do people do that anyway? I have no interior design skills lol, I'd live a DIY SOS designer to just come in and do it lol
We did do the bathroom but it was 0% again and is all paid off now, and our sofas were 0% from dfs also paid, I think there is a difference between using plastic to the hilt than actually making a plan, working out what you can afford and then finding the place that does what you want without ripping you off with interest.
Most of our units we got second hand, best bargains were a 4 seater country pine kitchen table for £20 and a solid pine sideboard for £25 :D

This month I plan on being as scrimpy as possible because whatever I save will be spending money for Gib :D

Last edited:
I like mavericks idea of declaring myself a hermit for January. Other than the two things I already have planned I am def doing this!!

I can relate to wanting my house to look nice when people come over but for me it's just about the place being clean rather than catalogue styled lol. I picked my stuff because I liked it and it was 'homely' and none of it was full price. I still have a third hand sofa which has nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't know where to start with interior design!

Well, just bought a pin board for the kitchen, feeling mildly guilt now as it was unnecessary really.
And just looked at my credit card bill - argh!

Used the last of savings to pay off what I could and hopefully, if I try hard I can pay it all off in three months.

Then I need to decide, do I close the credit card account so I'm not tempted ti spend what I haven't got, or do I keep it for large purchases as I get Tesco Clubcard points with it and it'll keep my credit rating high? X

Back