JANUARY MONEY CHALLENGE!

As I am lazy going to the gym - go a few sessions and then stop, so I am going to say it is a bad thing. I walk 2-3 miles a day (walk to train station & back) so that I my gym for free. 3 years ago I could not walk for 2 minutes but now I try to walk whenever I can.

Gym is a must for me.

I pay £15 a month and it includes any classes I want to go to aswell. I know that I dont want to waste my money so it gives me the kick up the butt I need to go. I still do walking and things with the kids but going to the gym is my little bit of me time too. Doing some of the classes has also made me discover I can do things I would never have even tried before but have been encouraged to at least attempt once. AND it means an extra pair of shoes and a bag ^_^

Found some good ideas on here.
Most of them aren't relevant as it's American but I found a few :)

http://www.thebudgetdiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Cut-Your-Spending-Checklist.pdf

Oh and this is the link to the printable money jar sheet (finally figured it out lol)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4_O8Hyj25V_VUdpSWY0V2dRTEU/preview?pli=1

Emsie this is one using quarters (25p) so a lot less weekly but still adds up to over £300 if helpful to you x

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_O8Hyj25V_TUdPcFdlbElKUWs/preview?pli=1

Last edited:
Gym is a must for me.

I pay £15 a month and it includes any classes I want to go to aswell. I know that I dont want to waste my money so it gives me the kick up the butt I need to go. I still do walking and things with the kids but going to the gym is my little bit of me time too. Doing some of the classes has also made me discover I can do things I would never have even tried before but have been encouraged to at least attempt once. AND it means an extra pair of shoes and a bag ^_^

Haha shopping! That's a really good price for the gym tho, half what we would pay (if u assume £15 each)

I walk the dog, but that doesn't really do anything as I've been doing it the last 13 years.
We would like to start doing some hiking this year, we have all the gear but never actually went lol *slaps hand*

Have I mentioned geocaching before, it's a walking 'game' if you go on the geocaching website it explains it all, you don't need a gps, but we have one, you can use an iPhone or smartphone. We love t cause your walking miles & it doesn't seem like it.

Have I mentioned geocaching before, it's a walking 'game' if you go on the geocaching website it explains it all, you don't need a gps, but we have one, you can use an iPhone or smartphone. We love t cause your walking miles & it doesn't seem like it.

I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning it, but I have a memory like a sieve so not sure who. Will check out the site, have an iPhone so should be able to use that, I'm sure the dog won't mind extra walks ;)

Only posted once on this thread so far.
Just been so busy!

Sat down earlier and worked out mine and hubby`s income and out-goingings
Really annoyed with myself that we`re always broke due to lack of planning.

Have already got a credit union account with very little in it, which I intend to rectify this year.
They also run what they call "jam jar accounts". You save a certain amount each week for a certain thing.
I`ll be better prepared for next Christmas by saving a minimum of £10 a week until the end of November.

Ran into trouble with credit cards a few years ago, so now can`t have one.
I`m still paying off the balance of the last card. Hope to pay it off completely this year.
Then that`s it!! No more credit cards!! I`ve done without for the last few years, so it`s no big deal.
We don`t earn enough to pay off the balance in full and I`m fed up paying interest.

We`ll save from now on for anything we want. Well, I certainly will give a good try!!

Found some good ideas on here.
Most of them aren't relevant as it's American but I found a few :)

http://www.thebudgetdiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Cut-Your-Spending-Checklist.pdf

Oh and this is the link to the printable money jar sheet (finally figured it out lol)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4_O8Hyj25V_VUdpSWY0V2dRTEU/preview?pli=1

Emsie this is one using quarters (25p) so a lot less weekly but still adds up to over £300 if helpful to you x

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_O8Hyj25V_TUdPcFdlbElKUWs/preview?pli=1

Thanks for this. The smaller amounts would be much better for me to manage.

As am changing jobs I feel all up in the air with planning my finances, will be glad when it's more settled but will probably take a few months really.
Just git to make sure I don't lose the plot with it meanwhile!

Can't decide whether to go aldi as have got to go tesco anyway to collect a parcel so would be quicker to just do shopping while there..hmmmm

I thought similar yesterday but made the effort to go to the market for all my fruit and veg £10 ;) then I popped jn Morrisons on my way back for essential x

If you work for the nhs you can get discount in various places eg 30/50% in dominos pizza. also in nandos
new loom;dotty perkins
'Only' a pound a week is 3.5 st a year

Last edited:
Well I am planning my beginning of the month shop tonight, but not sure whether to actually do a big shop. I have a card for the cash and carry and we usually go there to bulk buy fresh meat, but I'm not sure whether to go and get some bits from there because obviously it will cost me a lot at the outset... Having said that it will probably last me til bf comes home, so I may save later on...

Also, I was thinking about buying a 12 week countdown at WI tomorrow, as there are 12 WIs til bf comes home, and that would save me a tenner. But, does anyone know what happens to your countdown if you hit target in the middle of it?? Do you lose the weeks you have paid for or save them for when I (hopefully) lose so much more that I'm out of target again!!

I have plenty of meat in the freezer to see me through January and possibly February. Most of my spending is on fruit & veg - I pass a green grocers everyday that has offers on so end up getting something.

Back