JANUARY MONEY CHALLENGE!

Looks good! X

Also, I was thinking about buying a 12 week countdown at WI tomorrow, as there are 12 WIs til bf comes home, and that would save me a tenner. But, does anyone know what happens to your countdown if you hit target in the middle of it?? Do you lose the weeks you have paid for or save them for when I (hopefully) lose so much more that I'm out of target again!!

Youre best off asking your consultant about that, if youre close to target it might not be worth spending all the money, you never know the extra incentive of doing it in less than 12 weeks might make you get it even quicker lol.

I don't think you get refunded, whether they would bank the extra weeks incase you go over target and are due to pay. I always bought 12 week cd. But I just had to use common sense near the end of my 6 stone loss, even more confusing as I never set a target either. I just paid weekly near the end :) you can buy 6 weeks too? But only you knows how much you're likely to lose weekly over a ten week period if you can check your book? Or think of any sabotaging occasions that may be due? Good luck x

Found some good ideas on here.
Most of them aren't relevant as it's American but I found a few :)

http://www.thebudgetdiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Cut-Your-Spending-Checklist.pdf

Oh and this is the link to the printable money jar sheet (finally figured it out lol)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4_O8Hyj25V_VUdpSWY0V2dRTEU/preview?pli=1

Emsie this is one using quarters (25p) so a lot less weekly but still adds up to over £300 if helpful to you x

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_O8Hyj25V_TUdPcFdlbElKUWs/preview?pli=1

Have printed mine off...didn't realise it was the kids one lol
Apart from not being able to afford the grown ups one I do prefer not to have too much cash like that in house incase of a break in or anything though but hopefully that won't be an issue!
Am going to try and encourage daughter to do one too.

The monthly one looks good too.

A Monthly Chart for the 52 Week Money Challenge - Saving Advice Articles

Last edited:
Oh I like that bottom one, that might be a good one for saving for particular things like holidays or car or some big purchase

Thanks for posting the link :) x

Youre best off asking your consultant about that, if youre close to target it might not be worth spending all the money, you never know the extra incentive of doing it in less than 12 weeks might make you get it even quicker lol.

I don't think you get refunded, whether they would bank the extra weeks incase you go over target and are due to pay. I always bought 12 week cd. But I just had to use common sense near the end of my 6 stone loss, even more confusing as I never set a target either. I just paid weekly near the end :) you can buy 6 weeks too? But only you knows how much you're likely to lose weekly over a ten week period if you can check your book? Or think of any sabotaging occasions that may be due? Good luck x

Well I've got no sabotaging occasions planned, no birthdays or anything. I'm sure there will be the odd night out/in with the girls but not many!!

Anyhew, I had WI this morning and asked my C before hand what I should do. She told me that if I called target during the 12 weeks she could make a call to head office and I would get refunded. I intend to lower my 9 stone target anyway once I get there so I don't think it will be an issue. And knowing that I have 12 WIs to lose as much weight as I can before bf comes home is the best incentive I need and my C agreed that it would be good for me (she knows how much I've struggled without him, I sobbed through image therapy one week :()

Thanks for your help anyway ladies, much appreciated xx

Saw the Martin Lewis money saving programme on ITV yesterday.
He suggested having several bank accounts, one for each purpose.

Your main account is where your salary is paid in. Then have several direct debits set up
a few days after payday into each of the other accounts.
You would have separate accounts for bills, housekeeping, holidays, car, savings etc.
As many as you needed.

Seems like a good idea if you`re not very good with finances. A bit of a faff to set up.

See I think that is a good idea, like when I was young my mum had a tin with a lock & it had slots in each one was to pay for something different & I like that idea. I already have some money which goes into a savings account each month, but when I've got some extra I want to put it into a different account for a special holiday. I'm with Barclays & really need to take a look to see if I can do that, I don't want to be tranfering money to different banks, yep that would be a faff!!!!!

See I think that is a good idea, like when I was young my mum had a tin with a lock & it had slots in each one was to pay for something different & I like that idea. I already have some money which goes into a savings account each month, but when I've got some extra I want to put it into a different account for a special holiday. I'm with Barclays & really need to take a look to see if I can do that, I don't want to be tranfering money to different banks, yep that would be a faff!!!!!

My mum had one of those, she had put little stickers on them for what the slots were for, and you know i have been searching for one for over a year and cannot find them anywhere!

I think the "pot" idea is fab, i am also with Barclays and i don't think they do it, i think Nationwide do, you can arrange little pots, but it means switching banks and sometimes that's a faff.

Hubby worries about money in the house too so i got a safe, your house insurance covers up to a certain amount so i just have the intention of staying under that (nowhere near it yet) however i also find it's very easy to spend it when it's in the house....

I need to check my holidays, that's what i seem to spend all our money on, breaks here and there, combined with dog sitters (If in UK then we take him with us) I'm already looking at christmas breaks lol We have been dreading christmas the last 5 years or so as it's always spent with his family and never fun in the slightest, so this year we decided we would go away and have our own little christmas and actually enjoy it for once.
We've gone from cruises to coach tours to renting a little cottage in the middle of nowhere to an AI holiday somewhere....i just can't decide...argh! I'm no good with decisions lol

You do save very well CaveGirl :)

Last edited:

Your main account is where your salary is paid in. Then have several direct debits set up
You would have separate accounts for bills, housekeeping, holidays, car, savings etc.
As many as you needed.

Seems like a good idea if you`re not very good with finances. A bit of a faff to set up.

I also do this. I'm with Nationwide so have a Joint Account with OH where all our income goes and all our bills come out of.
When we get paid, we transfer what ever is left of our salary after bills to our own separate accounts.
From my remainder, I then transfer money to another account which is for savings and put £100 in a tin in the bedroom for holidays.
I know it's a faff but if I had everything in one account I know from past experience that I would spend above my means. X

I've done it on and off over the years. At the moment I have one account for my emergency fund which only has £50 in at the moment. I'm putting £10 in per month at the moment as I try to focus on trying to pay off credit cards and my overdraft.

I also have one account where I am saving for different things I want to do this year. I have written a bit of a bucket list and one of the first things on that list is to get a tattoo. I have £40 saved in that account at the moment and the money is coming from my putting all my £5 notes that are left in my purse when I get home aside and then putting it in there. I realise that this isn't as urgent as paying debts off but I also feel that since I have committed to not buying luxuries and clothes etc from now on I want to have something nice to look forward to otherwise I won't stick to the plan!

I have my current account where my wages goes in and my bills come out which is the one I have an overdraft on.

From past savings I have two other accounts I can use. One I will use for holidays - the money from this will come out of bf's wages which he gets every two weeks and he gives me half towards bills etc. I will use whatever he gives me to put half towards the credit card bill and half away for our holiday.

And I have one of those savings tins that you open with a tin opener for £2, £1 and 50p coins. Not sure what this will be for - maybe I'll keep it til Xmas this year lol.

Seems like an elaborate plan but in my head it makes sense lol. Just hope that it all works out as planned and that I can focus this year without getting too distracted and get rid of some of these debts hanging over me!

Thanks everyone for all the tips and ideas so far -let's keep them coming!! :)

Ooh what's on ya bucket list Sparty?
Enquiring minds wanna know ;) x

As many as you needed.

I suggested that a few days ago. I have been doing it for the past couple of days and have more savings than ever which can be used for specific purchases.

Another suggestion is to bargain on your big purchases. I did this with my car insurance and reduced it by 63 pounds. Also went out with a neighbor to a local bedding shop. She buys all her stuff from there so I asked for discount thinking we were going to get 5% but we were given 20% off which was a bonus.

Last edited:
Ooh what's on ya bucket list Sparty?
Enquiring minds wanna know ;) x

Yep we do want to know!!!!!

I suggested that a few days ago. I have been doing it for the past couple of days and have more savings than ever which can be used for specific.

I noticed you mentioned this & I looked at the bank you mentioned but I'm not happy, erm happy not the right word really, having more than one bank account, don't know why.

ok so this month I'm only buying essentials & so far so good. By reading the last few posts have made me realise I need to sit down & cost everything up that I want to save for & then put money in pots for non essential items, birthdays, Christmas, holidays & who mentioned saving a percentage of their wages I'm sure that fits in with it all, okie dokies a project for me!!!!!!

My mum had one of those, she had put little stickers on them for what the slots were for, and you know i have been searching for one for over a year and cannot find them anywhere!

I think the "pot" idea is fab, i am also with Barclays and i don't think they do it, i think Nationwide do, you can arrange little pots, but it means switching banks and sometimes that's a faff.

Hubby worries about money in the house too so i got a safe, your house insurance covers up to a certain amount so i just have the intention of staying under that (nowhere near it yet) however i also find it's very easy to spend it when it's in the house....

I need to check my holidays, that's what i seem to spend all our money on, breaks here and there, combined with dog sitters (If in UK then we take him with us) I'm already looking at christmas breaks lol We have been dreading christmas the last 5 years or so as it's always spent with his family and never fun in the slightest, so this year we decided we would go away and have our own little christmas and actually enjoy it for once.
We've gone from cruises to coach tours to renting a little cottage in the middle of nowhere to an AI holiday somewhere....i just can't decide...argh! I'm no good with decisions lol

christmas holidays are different for us now both children have left home. MIL is in a nursing home now & even though we see here every weekend & at Christmas time I don't want Christmas Day with her to become a habit, then well not be doing what we want to do. OH is off Christmas 2015 so we're going to Petra, easy jet fly there & it will be warm & I've been wanting to go to Petra for so long.

how about you cost out all your Christmas ideas & then get rid of the most expensive leaving those which are affordable then keep an eye on the prices & when you see a bargain book it:p

Just been browsing New Look online. Some lovely things in for Spring/Summer and not bad prices either.

Haven't ordered anything - had to exercise a lot of willpower!
Hope to get to target ASAP and then I'm going to treat myself to a shopping spree for new clothes. I do begrudge buying new now as I know they (hopefully) won't fit for long.

Going to be super organised and start trying to put £50 a month away on payday until I get to target. I'll use that money then for my shopping trip :) x

christmas holidays are different for us now both children have left home. MIL is in a nursing home now & even though we see here every weekend & at Christmas time I don't want Christmas Day with her to become a habit, then well not be doing what we want to do. OH is off Christmas 2015 so we're going to Petra, easy jet fly there & it will be warm & I've been wanting to go to Petra for so long.

how about you cost out all your Christmas ideas & then get rid of the most expensive leaving those which are affordable then keep an eye on the prices & when you see a bargain book it:p

Ooh Petra! That'll be cool, we've been to Luxor and Cairo and had a ride on the Nile.
A week in Sharm over Xmas is in the possibilities list, due to being quite cheap, hot, not a long flight and you can do Petra on a day trip :) x

Ok ladies....here is a pic of my list.

image-1730558591.jpg

image-2097630372.jpg

I put 30 things on it on my 30th birthday! So far I have ticked off 'buy an SLR camera' which I bought from money I saved working in a butchers over Xmas. My parents bought me a photography course for my birthday and that is booked on February 7th :)

Some are really silly and some are a bit more of a stretch but I hope to do them all eventually.

Back