Jess' Journey

Gym etiquette seems to change in a very short radius of space. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and spent my young adulthood in Califonia. When I landed my "career" position it came with a membership to a very fancy private club. As a college student and part-time temp worker I had maintained memberships at the YMCA and then at a local fitness center. There nakedness was not an issue in the locker room - you just wandered about doing whatever - shower, hairdrying, sauna letting it all hang out. Which was the way it was in high school as well. The unspoken rule was - don't stare and don't hold conversations. At the fancy club I assumed on the same rules, I was pulled aside by a co-worker and old that I was supposed to bring a robe to wear while in the locker room.... sigh... I was so embarassed I didn't go back:sigh:

Gosh Sander! In my family, you never came downstairs without your dressing gown on (summer or winter!) and even now, if I encounter my father on the landing in the middle of the night in his undies, we squeal and run! hihi!

Tough week :(

I'm going to try and brief (for a change! ;)).

I've had a very challenging week. I think its all PMS stuff (its flipping dragging out forever!) But every single day since Monday night, I have had huge cravings and feelings of wanting to just move to Conso.

I made an effort though to read more recipes (found a very creative site though it needs adjustments as I don't agree with their interpretation of Dukan - dukanitout.com). This morning I bought a new Foreman Grill and some silicon molds (made Anja's Yogurt cake which seems to have helped - so thank you :D).

I've had lapses though today... not huge ones. Just overdoing it a bit today on tolerated items (had 2 x servings of Philly Light) and added cornflour in the cake, though have only had a slice and not the whole thing (yet!) My first though REAL big lapse in that I added a handful of shredded mature cheddar (lite, but enough to be not allowed) into my soup at lunch. That is absolutely the 1st bite of a non-allowed food item I've had.

Just going to take it easy and think about things. I'm at my weekly goal for this week (.5lb less actually!) and I'm loving working out, so we'll see. I will either continue on for at least another 2 weeks (very likely) and then consider moving to Conso so I don't go off the rails and ruin it all completely.

Wish me luck!

And yes, I realised I failed miserably on the "being brief" bit :)

Sorry to hear you've had a tough one Jess, but from the sounds of it you've handled it ok - no carbs there to speak of which for us is the most important thing to avoid. You could have downed a pizza or a bottle of wine, but no - a handful of cheese, which won't bring you out of ketosis.

Hopefully it is just totm, and you'll feel better in another day or two. Hang on in there, and if you have 'head hunger' just pile up the chicken in front of you and work your way through that!

Jess, the PMS stuff is a challenge, but you have done so well! I am inspired every time I read your journal - you have come so far in really a short time. Stay strong through the next two weeks!

Correction - realised that Anja suggested the cake, but its Joanne's recipe :)

Feeling a bit better - went for coffee with a chum who's SO SUPPORTIVE and between her and my other friend (who are both running marathons this year), they've managed to convince me to stick with it a few more weeks. They're both also trying to shed a few lbs but both keep lapsing, so they're in a great position to help out and sympathise. I will get these thru these next few days (and the same ones that will occur next month!! ;))

What a difference a day makes

I can say that I had a horrendous temptation last night but DID NOT GIVE IN!!

We went over to friends last nite and guess what the boys ordered for their tea... yes, you got it - CHINESE takeaway. My girlfriend and I are both doing low-carb so we prepared our own meals. I can say that as the boys left to get the food, I said in my head (and out loud - "f**k it, if I want to nibble on something, I'm going to... I deserve a night off!")

But a strange thing happened - as we sat down all desire to pick at the Chinese left me (other than one pinch of duck but nothing else). I remembered something I read on here (about how its not really worth it and normally we feel sick/horrible/guilty after... so what's the point really of giving in??)

I wasn't perfect though - I did have a bite of my friends' meal - little fish cakes that were bound with mayo (but that was only non-allowed thing) and I had two small glasses of white wine. But I'm feeling satisfied that I didn't give in and today is just so a new day... with new resolve... and new determination!! My "friend" has finally made her appearance, so that's probably helping things along.

As a reward this morning, I went through some REALLY old clothes that were packed away... things that were just a bit too snug, too tight, etc. and tried them all on and then swapped out with clothes that do me no favours today as they're too big. It definitely helped!

Hope you all are doing well and managing great success! Have a fabby weekend :D!

Well done jess on resisting the Chinese!!! That must have been hard so a big well done! Also good news about your clothes :) have a good weekend xx

Well done Jess! You must feel really pleased and proud this morning x

Excellent job on not caving in! It sounds like instead you had a small, highly respectable treat.

Last night I was also tempted! My husband wanted pizza, so I brought him home two pizzas from his favorite pizza restaurant, Happy Joe's. The pizzas sat by me in the car, untouched, and I still have not touched the leftovers in the fridge! I made my own pizza with a whole wheat crust and reduced fat mozzy cheese with a sprinkle of cheddar. :D

Yay for smaller clothes! Keep up the excellent work :party0011:

Mmmm pizzas. Oh how I miss dominos! My flatmate sat and ate one the other week... I sooo wanted it... And when i was out for my cousins birthday they got a dominos after leaving the club. I waited til i got home and had a tin of sardines instead lol. It's such a good feeling when u manage to avoid somthing. Well done!! X

I have to say ladies - Pizza has always been a fave of mine (I'm a Pizza Express frequent diner :)). Well done to you guys for resisting. I'm going to try this recipe to get a small fix:
Oat Bran White Pizza

You have to adapt the recipes on this site to get them to "true-Dukan" - the blog author is very creative but has a liberal interpretation of the diet, I think. But perhaps its because she's in the US and they have so much more fat-free dairy available that she's probably not that far off.

I'm going to half the pizza recipe because I don't trust making a whole one and then splitting it in half!

Thats a great find! I'll def be trying this :)

That's a great site your link goes to, Soshbfly. Thanks. Have you tried the oatbran cinnamon flatbread in the oatbran part of the site? It sounds good.

That's a great site your link goes to, Soshbfly. Thanks. Have you tried the oatbran cinnamon flatbread in the oatbran part of the site? It sounds good.

Hi Topaz - no, haven't tried it but just got the yeast yesterday so I can give it a go (that and the pizza). My kitchen is in array just now as I'm prepping all my regular food for the week - this will likely have to wait. Let me know if you try it out!

Haven't heard of the book you mention - is it good?

Love a Monday morning!

Never thought I'd be saying I love Mondays, but its so much easier during the week and I also look forward to losing on several PPs in a row :).

I haven't been evasive about my weight loss these last few days but to be honest, I'm clueless at this point. I know "how much" I've lost - the 20lbs, but I can't determine my actual weight and suspect it may be a couple lbs higher than last reported (which means I was heavier when I started :sigh:). My scales have always been wonky but consistently wonky so I least knew my loss. My scale actually broke (yes, it picked NOW after 8 years to finally go out!!) so I bought a new one and it weighs different. I've tried comparing to my gym and Wii, but I'm just confused at this point. Have decided to "start fresh" on Friday 27/May and whatever I arrive at on that day (combining all three scales) - that's what I'll begin again with. We'll see!

Looking forward to a strict week and loads of exercise. I WILL BE POSITIVE AND STICK TO THIS WITHOUT COMPLAINT!!! :D Please call me out if I moan :p!!

Have a great and successful week folks!!

Hi Soshbfly. A pain about the scales, a similar thing happened to me and the new ones said two pounds heavier. Groan!

'Living with the Laird' is by a woman called Belinda Rathbone, who married the Laird, head of a clan group. It depends what you like to read, but I enjoyed it, as she found the Scots customs so mystifying while they were thinking it was the only way to do things, and the situations were quite funny.

Back