Jo's Recipes!! (EE)

joanna25

Silver Member
I enjoy cooking. A lot. I get a real pleasure from it....So from here on in, I will be adding my recipes that I cook, along with pictures where possible and EE syn values...I would try and calculate the syn value for Green and Red but I'm pretty useless at that so if anyone can help me out with those I'd appreciate it. First recipe, coming this evening....

Crispy Prawns with Noddles and Stir Fried Veg

This recipe I have stolen and adapted from Rachel Allen's cookery book in an attempt to make it more SW appropriate!!! So here it is...

INGREDIENTS: for two
Salt and Pepper
200g egg noodles
Soy Sauce
200g cooked and peeled prawns
2tbsp plain flour (3.5 syns) OPTIONAL
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
Lots of green beans
2 tsp caster sugar (0.5 syns) OPTIONAL
Spring Onions

1: Fill a saucepan with hot water and cook the noodles for 3-4 mins. Drain and return to the pan, and drizzle with soy sauce.

2: Season prawns with salt and pepper, and if using the flour, coat the prawns lightly now. Fry for 2-3 mins.

3: Saute the garlic in fry light for about 30 seconds then add carrots and beans and continue to saute for a further 3-4 mins.

4: Add soy sauce and caster sugar.

5: Add noodles, spring onions and prawns and stir fry for 1 min.

Pea and Ham Risotto

This one is literally my favourite dinner and it's so simple....

Serves 2:
Syns:1.5

INGREDIENTS:
Fry Light
1/2 onion finely chopped
1/2 clove of garlic
150g Risotto Rice
300ml hot vegetable stock
225g frozen peas
2tbsp parmesan cheese (1.5 syns per serving)
50g Lean chopped ham

Fry the onion in fry light with a small amount of the vegetable stock. Once it starts to soften and brown, add the rice until it is coated.

Add the rest of the hot veg stock (this should be done a ladleful at a time and then stirred in, adding the next ladleful once the first one is absorbed, although it doesn't make an awful lot of difference if you just chuck the lot in!) Continue until creamy, but the rice still retains a little bite.

Add the peas and heat for a further 3-5 mins. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and ham. Season to taste if required.

Looking forward to seeing more recipes and pictures !!!

Thanks.

Gail x

Awww thanks!!! I'll be posting some more soon :)

fantastic! hope you enjoy - let me know how it goes...will stick some more up today xx

Apple and Parsnip Soup

This one is one I stole off my mum and I simply adore it. I batch make this and then use it to take in for my lunch at work. The recipe makes 4, but I find by splitting it into 3 portions, you get such a big portion, you don't need to eat anything else and won't feel the need to snack! Plus the syn value of this is pretty negligible - so much so I don't even bother to count it - I think it works out at about 1/2 syn. I have tried freezing it which does work, but I prefer not too as I find when you defrost it, it makes it more watered down and I much prefer thick soups, but I guess that's all down to personal taste...so enjoy and let me know what you think.

You need:
Fry Light
1 Onion
500G Parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 large bramley apple, chopped larger than parsnips (I don't peel it, but you could if you can handle the vile colour it makes it!)
1 or 2 Vegetable stock cubes.

Fry onion in a saucepan in fry light, and add apple and parnsips.
Fill the pan with water until level with pan contents....this all depends on how thick you want it. I normally do just under the top of the contents so it's nice and thick
Add one or two stock cubes.
Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
Zap with a blender and add salt and pepper if desired to serve.

Salmon in Tomato, Garlic and Basil Sauce

Salmon in tomato and basil sauce Had this fabulous dinner last night which I've taken and adapted from Gino Di'Campo's Italian Diet Book.

For two:
Fry Light
Garlic clove, thinly sliced
Basil, fresh or dried - doesn't matter
Tin of chopped tomatoes
2 x salmon fillets
Salt and Pepper

1) Fry garlic in frylight until sizzling
2) Add a can of chopped tomatoes, basil (or other herb of your choice), salt and pepper to season, and fry for 8 minutes, on a medium heat stirring occasionally. If it gets too thick/gloopy, add some water to thin it out.
3) Add salmon fillets and be sure to coat in the sauce. Fry on medium heat for 4 minutes each side. Cover whilst doing this.
4) Serve with whatever you like, but I did a fresh green salad with fry light balsamic dressing.

Moroccan Chicken and Cous Cous

Everytime I eat this dish, I feel as though I'm taken back to a holiday last year in Morocco, and even a "Lamb feast" that I had in Egypt. There's something really special about the way in which these countries cook their meat and I really love it. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do.

Serves 4
Syn Value on EE (for whole recipe):0 (or a quater if using olive oil!!!)

Ingredients
4 medium chicken breasts
Fry Light (or 1tbsp olive oil at 2syns)
1 medium onion sliced thickly
1 pepper, de-seeded and sliced
2 medium carrots, cut into thick sticks
250g potatoes, cut into thick chunks
1 stick of celery, large and thickly sliced
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp coriander
450ml fresh chicken stock
1 portion bay leaf
1 lemon
1 tbsp parsley (or more coriander)
250g cous cous
salt and pepper

- Season the chicken lightly. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan and brown the chicken quickly. Remove from the heat and stir in the chunky vegetables. Add 1 tbsp of water and then cover the pan. Cook gently for 5 minutes until softened, shaking the pan occasionally.

- Stir in the spices, except the bay leaf. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the leaf. Stir in the stock and add the zest of the lemon.

- Bring the stock to the boil, then season and cover. Simmer gently for about 45 minutes, until the meat is tender. Stir in the lemon juice.

- Meanwhile, soak and steam the cous cous according to the packet.

Serve the contents of the pan with the cous cous.

I found the cous cous pretty bland when I did this and like there was too much...make it up with a stock cube and add anything you might want to liven it up a bit!

Last edited:
Ooooh. Yummy. I will definitely try this one. Thanks. (it's cooked in a saucepan on the hob right ?)

Hope you've had a good week.

Gail x

It is indeed!!!! Weeks been great, what about you? x

Great week thanks. Lost 4lbs this week, started running (well run/walking !) and passed my 3 stone mark ! Yippppeeee !

Next goal - buy a slow cooker (? may make life a bit easier for cooking for work etc ?), keep running. You ?

You said something on another thread about syn free sausages near you and I wondered where ?

Hope you have another good week.

Gail x

Well done! I got 2.5lbs, achieved club 10 and got slimmer of the month so very happy!!

Gail, I take it you live in the same general direction, whereabouts are you? They have some at wigan Market and they also do them at the butchers in Atherton xx

As for slow cookers, a tenner in tesco at the mo xx

Parsnip soup sounds delicious - have a load of parsnips in the fridge, so am going to make it this week. Many thanks for the recipe.

Back