JUDDD to finally get to goal

Jo1989

Gold Member
So, I'm coming to JUDD after 4 years on and off the Cambridge Diet. I lost over 4 stone in 2012 getting to a weight of 170lbs (BMI of 24) though I had intended to get to 160lbs which would've been a BMI of between 22 and 23.

Since then I've regained several times (though never more than about 2 stone) and in the past year have managed to restrict any gain to a maximum of 20 lbs or so (which I appreciate is still a lot but not compared to gains I've had in the past!).

However, I'm sick of gaining weight and then using Cambridge to shift it, and then repeating the cycle so my plan is to start JUDDD and then move to 6:1 once at goal so I'm actually losing the final weight doing something thats maintainable.

I restarted a sort of VLCD 7 weeks ago, but decided I'd give myself two days off a week. I lost about 13lbs in 4 weeks (which I was happy with given that I could still enjoy two high days a week). However, in the last 3 weeks I've not been nearly as strict and have ended up doing no more than 2 VLCD days a week (and even then having 800 calories) and a mix of high days and low ish days (about 1200-1500 calories a week).

Despite creating a deficit that should've equated to 2lbs a week loss, I haven't really lost anything the last 3 weeks and clearly, that demonstrates my body does not like my all over the place approach.

So after reading the amazing diaries of those that have been very successful with JUDDD or 5:2, I'm going to give it a proper go.

As I'm doing ADF I'll have 4 DDs this week at 625 calories (25% of my TDEE as I'm quite tall and do a fairly hard workout 3 times a week), two days at approx. 2300 calories and one day allow a high non calorie controlled day. My aim is to average 1500 calories a day, which given my TDEE should equate to 2 lbs of loss a week.

I'm not expecting to lose quite that much, and instead would be happy with 14lbs over the next 10 weeks til Christmas. Starting at 180lbs that'll put me at 166lbs.

I'll then have a week off over the Christmas period and given that I'd expect a slight water (and fat!) gain, expect to end up back at 170lbs.

I then hope to lose 10lbs in the 7 weeks til my birthday in February, which will put me at 160lbs.

So here goes! 1st DD today.

I have to say, despite reading and understanding all the science behind it, after relying on a VLCD to lose weight, JUDDD seems too good to be true!

However, creating a cal deficit will work however its done.. I think the exception is probably the mid ground between 'normal' dieting and VLCDS - where cals are cut way too low on a daily basis (i.e. below BMR but not to the level of a VLCD) and the body panics. I think JUDDD is a great antidote to that, because the body shouldn't ever really panic.

I am aware that after a VLCD (even if I wasn't following it to a T!) I'm bound to get some sort of glycogen gain, but I'm kinda secretly hoping thats why I've had the STS the past few weeks.

I'm committing to this for at least four weeks (ideally forever!) to see if it works for my body, and I really logically can't see why it wouldn't. I think my expectation of 6 lbs loss every 4 weeks is reasonable too, so hopefully won't be disappointed either.

I'm a daily weigher but for this, given the fluctuations are bound to be dreadful, I'm promising myself I'll only weigh once a week, on a Sunday, after a DD on a Saturday (I had a DD yesterday as my last day of my 'VLCD' after a big UD Friday after checking with fast guidance that 2 DDs in a row aren't a problem).

I have to say, knowing I was starting this today meant that my DD yesterday was easy and today is too, knowing I can eat tomorrow! I think its that thats the key to this plan - knowing I can have anything I want tomorrow.

Good fast day yesterday and good controlled up day today with a good hard gym session before work :)

I'm going to post my cals burned (as per my fitbit) each day and also my average cals per day week to date to ensure I keep to my plan of average of 1500 per day. So for yesterday:

Sunday 16 October: 621 eaten / 2149 burned (VERY lazy day!) / 621 average WTD

Update for yesterday:

16/10
: 621 eat / 2149 burn / 621 av WTD
17/10: 2156 eat / 3256 burn / 1389 av WTD

Today was going to be a fast day but decided last night we're going for dinner tonight so fast days 2+3 will be weds and thurs instead..

Eeek not weighing is very strange! But I think its a good thing.. My weight controls my mood so much its nice to avoid that. Also knowing I can have what I want three / four days a week is actually making me make better choices, so really, what the scale says is less important than me knowing I'm making good choices. Very strange how the mind works!

Today will be my high naughty day cause of dinner tonight. I'd originally planned a naughty Friday but given change of plan I'll just have a single treat Friday in addition to my daily allowance to make up my cals to a week average of 1500 / day. I love that this diet is so flexible and minimises eating guilt while also seeming to encourage me not to binge. Long may it continue!

Been a little ill this week and totally exhausted so decided to do 3 fast days instead of 4 - I just couldn't face 2 consecutive fasts! I'll see what the scales look like on Sunday and if the result is good I'll stick with 3 fasts a week. As such, this week I'm looking to keep my daily average below 1750 which should equate roughly to a 1.5lb loss.

Fast number two almost done with, number three on Saturday. Update for yesterday and Tuesday:

16/10: 621 eat / 2149 burn / 621 av WTD
18/10: 2938 eat / 2597 burn / 1905 av WTD
19/10: 2298 eat / 2644 burn / 2003 av WTD

Just wanted to add that today's fast was really easy - single fasts are obv easier mentally than consecutive ones. Also still feel I'm making good food choices and have no urge to binge - when I decided yesterday I wasn't going to do a fast I didn't think f it and binge, I stuck to TDEE. Happy bunny here :)

Great fast day on Thursday followed by a nice indulgent today yesterday, updated below:

16/10: 621 eat / 2149 burn / 621 av WTD
18/10: 2938 eat / 2597 burn / 1905 av WTD
19/10: 2298 eat / 2644 burn / 2003 av WTD
20/10: 634 eat / 2538 burn / 1729 av WTD
21/10: 2981 eat / 2643 burn / 1938 av WTD

Today is the third and final fast of my week and should bring me on a 1750 daily average and a good loss tomorrow! Fingers crossed :) I've def got a little smaller as my clothes are looser so even if not, I'm sticking to it!

Good luck with the weigh in. I used JUDD for losing my final half stone, and for maintaining afterwards. Eventually I simply got tired of counting calories so gave it up. Big mistake, the pounds started to creep on again!

So my week ended up with a 1749 daily average and.. a weight loss of 2.2lbs!! Weighed in at 178.2lbs.

I'm super pleased with that. Hoping for 1.5lbs next week to take me to 176 something. Scales away again til next Sunday and three fast days this week.

Very happy!

Good luck with the weigh in. I used JUDD for losing my final half stone, and for maintaining afterwards. Eventually I simply got tired of counting calories so gave it up. Big mistake, the pounds started to creep on again!

Hello! Thanks for your message :) I definitely think counting cals even on up days is a good idea for me because it keeps me in the right headspace. Are you back on a plan again?

Hello! Thanks for your message :) I definitely think counting cals even on up days is a good idea for me because it keeps me in the right headspace. Are you back on a plan again?
I've just started doing the SIRTfood diet, it's more controlled in a way as there are no up days, but it doesn't involve counting calories. I was fine with that while I was trying to lose weight but got fed up with having to continue counting on maintenance. And once I'd stopped I got a bit phobic about starting it again. But I did find JUDD effective as your body never goes into starvation mode, which it learns to do quite quickly after various diets over the years. How are you finding it? Going overboard on the up days was always a risk, sometimes a dd came as a relief!

Im actually really enjoying it and not struggling with the fast days after being used to the Cambridge Diet. I'm feeling no need to binge but also pleased to be able to have high days if I'm having dinner out which I probably do twice weekly.

I'm mentally struggling a bit in terms of feeling like its a bit too good to be true despite the science behind it being totally valid. Just can't believe I can not stress about food and not feel guilty all the time for eating and still lose weight!

Two up days down and on my first fast day of the week. So far so good so just updating Sunday/Monday below:

23/10
: 2687 eat / 2461 burn / 2687 av WTD
24/10: 2257 eat / 2614 burn / 2472 av WTD

Im actually really enjoying it and not struggling with the fast days after being used to the Cambridge Diet. I'm feeling no need to binge but also pleased to be able to have high days if I'm having dinner out which I probably do twice weekly.

I'm mentally struggling a bit in terms of feeling like its a bit too good to be true despite the science behind it being totally valid. Just can't believe I can not stress about food and not feel guilty all the time for eating and still lose weight!

I did Cambridge at one point too, and swore I'd never again do a diet that wasn't real food! CD worked but I truly hated it. JUDD works too, not fast, maybe 1-1.5lbs a week, but what other diet allows such flexibility? The plateaus can be a drag, but give them time and they pass. It's a good diet if you aren't looking for very rapid results.

So haven't had time for a full update (I'll do one tomorrow) but lost a further 1.6lbs at my Sunday weigh in! Whoop!

Probably no point in updating last weeks stats in full, except to say I finished on a 1750 average and that gave me my 1.6lb weight loss! Officially back to healthy BMI.

Week so far I've had two up days and on my first fast which is going well.

I love this diet and am starting to believe it works for me and I'll get steady losses each week. I read before I started that people lose their appetites on non fast days and I thought there was no way that'd happen but it genuinely has and I haven't felt any need to binge. Im loving the fact I don't have stupid highs and crashing lows like I did on Cambridge and having stopped it I'm realised emotionally and physically it really wasn't good for my bingy tendencies.

Im starting to think I could finish this year under 12 stone which has been my target forever and thats an amazing feeling considering I don't feel deprived.

If in 8 weeks I can say I've lost a further 10lbs I'll be incredibly happy!

Been totally rubbish at updating this but weighed in another 1.2lbs down this morning! That's a total of 5 lbs in 3 weeks which I'm v pleased with.

Doing 2 fasts this week rather than 3 as I'm in London from Thursday - Sunday for a weekend away and while trying to create a deficit for the week that'd equate to 0.5lb loss, I'm not going to weigh til the following Sunday as I'm expecting a lot of water gain from a carboy food weekend. Hopefully at weigh in on Sunday 20 November I'll be a further 2 lb down.

I now only need to lose an average of a lb a week for the remainder of the year to finish at less than 12 stone and thats more than doable!

Feeling very positive and so happy I decided to stick to this. 3 weeks down and not concerned if it takes me til Spring to get to goal cause I feel healthy and balanced and as long as I see progress every week, however small, that's all that matters.

Got a knee injury from running so I've had to stop my running / hard cardio but got appts this week to diagnose and sort it so hopefully can restart the exercise soon. I'm also thinking I might restart doing yoga (which I did years ago) cause I loved how quickly I felt/looked stronger and more flexible. This isn't just about weight loss anymore, its about all round physical well being.

Hey Jo, here to follow. You're doing great so far, this diet really seems to suit you. I'm currently trying to get back into the habit of fasting but really struggling at the moment! x

So had a fabulous indulgent weekend after two fasts, and got back to my fasting this week (though the first one was hard!!) with two down and one more to go tomorrow.

First weigh in in two weeks on Sunday and I'm feeling hopeful as my clothes are definitely looser. I'd be super super thrilled with 2lbs (probably the max I'll get given one week was 2 fasts instead of three and my high days were HIGH!) but 1.5lbs would be a success too.

Feels so odd to think I could get down to my ideal weight with a diet that lets me get on with my life (pizza tonight!!) and that I actually enjoy. Its slow and steady and given I'm a healthy weight and most of clothes now fit again that's OK with me.

I definitely do think that calorie counting on high days is necessary, as it'd be so easy to go over without realising and end up with half the loss I'd be home for but I don't mind it, because my high days aren't stupidly restrictive; I think calorie counting is only depressing when its low and you're constantly hungry, which I'm not.

I'm not actually all that hungry on fast days either and I'm not fighting urges to cheat, which shows how much more important the psychological than the physical is; I've had attempts at Cambridge where I can barely complete a day without little cheats but on this, I want to do it right.

I still feel so positive, 5 weeks in! And its not big losses spurring me on (which I had on Cambridge), its sticking to something that feels healthy, and getting steady sustainable weight loss which I can follow up with maintenance that won't feel such a shock.

Back