Julie's Dukan Diary - Fat in my Fifties

Hi Everyone

So today is my first day on Dukan. A little about me......
I am 53 years old and have gradually increased in weight over the last few years - I have not been a size 10 for many years but went from a 12 to a 14 a couple of years ago and now struggle with a size 14 and absolutely refuse to buy a 16. I have a health condition which causes fatigue and if I'm truly honest I have hidden behind this for the past couple of years and used it as an excuse to not exercise.
Anyway - my step daughter has just booked her wedding for 2014 in the Greek Islands and I don't want to be the short fat blob on the pics. Also I can remember my Mum at my age and she was about my size - she is now in her 70's and a size 20. As I have her genes the writing is very much on the wall for me so time for action !!!

My first day has been good. I have the book on my Kindle and have ordered the recipe book although I am now finding some great recipes on here. I go on hols in a little under 6 weeks so hope to have lost a decent amount by then ( although I expect to put some back on while I'm away)

Todays Menu -

B - Scrambled Eggs and Smoked Salmon
L - Mixed Seafood with black pepper and lemon juice
D - 8oz rump steak with mustard dip and I put strips of galette in a hot oven to crisp them up so they were like chips
Drinks - So far 2 l water 1 cup of tea 1 cup of black coffee
Snacks - Chicken breast Crab sticks
Exercise - 25 minute brisk walk

I have Salmon Quiche in the oven for tomorrow - Cooked Salmon fillet with eggs, dill, black pepper, ff cottage cheese

So far so good - I can't wait to get up in the morning to see if I lost anything

Thanks for reading - new to this so hope I haven't gone on too much :rolleyes:

Julie x

Hi Julie,

Just wanted to say good luck, I have just started the attack phase, just registered on the forum and wanted to connect with someone in a similiar position to myself.

Jayne x

Hi Julie
I have been on the attack for 4 days now, and so far finding it fairly easy to plan. See the weight coming off is a good motivator

Good luck and look forward to reading your diary x

Hi Julie good to see you've started a diary and no you havent 'gone on too much' Im a 'waffle' minimin on here ;)

hi there just wanted to wish you good luck!! seriously i go on and on ( i do )
i am loving the glettes crisped up for chips (im doing this tomoz) and if you are experimenting already you will do just fine on this diet!!
xxxx

Day 2

OK - so 1/4lb off - tbh I think I was hoping for more but I guess I need to have a little patience ! Woke this morning with a headache and feeling a little sick - or it might have been hunger - not sure. Also a mad sugar craving which is weird as I don't normally have sugar in anything and dont have a sweet tooth.
So I've had oatbran porridge for brekkie and put 1/4 tsp sugar in to help with this craving - will buy sweetener today !
Going to take a couple of painkillers for the headache before I go to work.

Also last night I was snacking but suddenly everything tasted really stong and intense - couldn't eat the crab sticks they were far too fishy yet usually I don't mind them - is this normal or am I just imagining it?

Menu today

B - Oatbran porridge. Cup of Coffee
L - Salmon Quiche - some chicken pieces with yoghurt and mint dip
D - Meatballs

Will have snacks as yet undecided but plenty in the fridge

Water to drink all day but might try a diet coke to see if it helps with the sugar craving
More later.......

Julie x

Hi Julie, nice to meet you. I'm another 50-something who's been on this diet since February - it does work (at least the weight LOSS bit of it does, can't comment yet on the maintenance aspect) provided you're fully focused on it, and your menus are sounding good.

Yes, food does taste really weird initially. I couldn't bear the taste of chicken for the first few weeks. But that sorts itself out after a while. I'm not a very inventive cook but dijon mustard is my lifesaver - I load all meat with it because otherwise everything is so bland. I can't eat crabsticks any more myself, used to love them but now they taste of nothing but sugar!

Good luck with your journey and keep posting.

i have to have vinegar on me crabsticks or else they are gross!! x

charly1979 said:
i have to have vinegar on me crabsticks or else they are gross!! x

Yuck, how people eat these things is beyond me, they are the devil's food, right up there with Rooibos tea. 'Eh Caro?! ;)

P x

The only crabsticks I enjoy are Young's Seafood Sticks. I find they are good to snack on now and again. The other brands I find to be quite rank tbh.

Good morning

Day 3 today and another 1 3/4 lbs off so 2lb in 2 days - so pleased

No headache but horrible taste im my mouth and I'm constipated but I guess that's to be expected. My sweet tooth seems to have gone too which is good

I ate more yesterday than I did on day 1 so maybe that's why I've lost more but I didn't go for a walk as it was pouring down - I'm using the stairs more at work though - using the loos on the floor above instead of the ones on our floor so I get that extra exercise

Menu for today
B - Oatbran porridge
L - Salmon quiche with pickled onion garnish (weird I know but the quiche needs help !)
D - Chicken in some sort of sauce (my recipe book has arrive )

Snacks - Chicken breast pieces in yoghurt and mint, yoghurt with a couple of drops of vanilla (all made with Total Zero)
Drinks - At least 2l water, tea, coffee, diet coke

Excercise - depends on the weather but will definately do something today

So all in all I'm a very happy bunny - going to stay on Attack for 5 days

Julie x

It sounds like you're in the zone Julie! I'm totally with you on the pickled onions - I love them! I like the really strong ones that make your eyes water - yum! :)

Great start Julie add me too the pickled onion appreciation club lol x

Ohh yes pls Garners baby pickled onions......delicious!!

i love the pickled onions proper tart ones!!

Back