July money challenge

Exactly, I've started buying the 3 meats for £10 from Asda, I think Sainsbury's are doing at the mo as well. I might start shopping at the market which isn't too far from work but it does mean I'd have to drive to work. It's worth it if I save money, may give it a whirl.

Exactly, I've started buying the 3 meats for £10 from Asda, I think Sainsbury's are doing at the mo as well. I might start shopping at the market which isn't too far from work but it does mean I'd have to drive to work. It's worth it if I save money, may give it a whirl.

Yeah Tesco do it too. I'm not so sure whether it is that good a deal though and want to try and look at a couple of butchers and see if they do any packages etc in fact meant to do that last night when was at shops but forgot that bit!
Maybe go the market on a day when you have to drive to work anyway?

Most supermarkets do the three for £10 deal and it depends what they include as to whether its a good deal I suppose. Morrisons include the 800g pack of mince and a big pack of chicken legs and thighs (about 8 in a pack) and I think those are well worth it. The lamb is always a bit small so I steer clear from that.

Yeah Tesco do it too. I'm not so sure whether it is that good a deal though and want to try and look at a couple of butchers and see if they do any packages etc in fact meant to do that last night when was at shops but forgot that bit!
Maybe go the market on a day when you have to drive to work anyway?

In the summer I only drive to work if Bob is off & I'm giving him a lift into town. It's the winter I'm likely to drive more, just thinking I could go to the market for a nosey & see what they have & then if it's cheaper drive in & purchase, actually, it's only about 4 miles to work, don't think that amount of petrol in the car is going to brake the bank!!!!!!!!!!!

Most supermarkets do the three for £10 deal and it depends what they include as to whether its a good deal I suppose. Morrisons include the 800g pack of mince and a big pack of chicken legs and thighs (about 8 in a pack) and I think those are well worth it. The lamb is always a bit small so I steer clear from that.

I like lamb & Bob doesn't we got lamb & chicken last week but the lamb only did 1 meal, whereas the chicken will do two meals. I have bought lamb from Aldi which is cheap & not fatty at all.

Right well looking at my account I have some real work to do this month to get my bills and bank balance looking healthier!

Once I've been paid, With all of my usual bills i will be about 250 into my overdraft already (how depressing) so I need to restrict spending heavily. The only things I NEED to spend on are fruit/veg/salad, petrol and spending money for a hen do. Also me and bf are having a day out to do a gift experience boat trip we were bought as a present.

My bf gives me money out of his wages and I am planning to use all of that to catch up on my outstanding bills. If I can stick to that then it will be a massive step forward.

Things that could stand in my way are; going too mad on the hen do. It's in the east end so prices will be high; I have a week off and always struggle not to spend if I have time on my hands; bf and I are having one day out during that week and we will go for drinks/lunch/dinner so depends on where we go.

Sounds a rather tall order I think! :(

How about dedicating some of your week of to sorting and selling? That should help you with the spending money when not at work situation, and also maybe help you make some money either towards the hen do or your overdraft. Maybe get bf to help so you also spend time together?

That's a good idea to do some sorting. I want to get my spare room decorated as well but like you, have stuff in there all the time. Mostly my washing hung up to dry lol. My bf is a decorator so I will only need to pay for paint at least lol.

He will be at work most of that week - he works for himself so has to take work when its there and at the moment he has work that week! :(
I should be grateful for the money but it would be nicer to spend time together. At least he is having one day off and we are making the most of it by going into London. (Train fair already paid as I have season tickets so only spending money needed!)

If the weather is nice ill be sorted sat outside with a book and some music lol

How about dedicating some of your week of to sorting and selling? That should help you with the spending money when not at work situation, and also maybe help you make some money either towards the hen do or your overdraft. Maybe get bf to help so you also spend time together?

That's a good idea, I was going to suggest on days out pack a picnic with lots of yummy SW friendly foods & drink.

Right it's payday today and I'm taking out £50 to last me the week. I'm going to put £20 aside at home and try managing on £30 so if I do it there will be £20 in my hen do pot! I'm going to set myself a limit on the hen do so that I don't spend too much but I haven't decided how much that will be yet!

I'm going to leave my bank and credit cards at home as well - a massive deal to me as I never leave home without them 'just in case'.

So I went to the market & bought 4 large chicken breasts & 2 pork chops for £10.87 I was happy with that, I didn't buy any lamb which did look nice but it would have cost £5.05 just a tad too expensive for me. I've also been to the Asian shop & bought wraps (for OH), 2 Punnets of strawbs, 3 tins butter beans & 4 tins chickpeas £8.57, dead chuffed with this purchase.

I also took £20 cash out today & purchased above items, I don't tend to take too much out of the bank & do keep my purse pretty low in cash.

I think its' going to be a good month.

It amazes me how expensive meat is. I tend to get mine from Costco as its always quite thick cut. Their salmon is good too....nice and thick. I bought a whole salmon there for about £10 the other week and filleted it myself then portioned it up for the freezer. Was cheaper than the single whole sides they had so effectively buy one get one free in comparison.

It was payday yesterday for us and we managed the month again without going overdrawn so thanks for these threads as they are really helping me.

Now I've been paid I need to get petrol but Tesco at the moment have 5p off per litre when you do a 50 quid shop so I'm going to stock up on all my SW foods that we need for the month too.

I'm off out for lunch with my mum today too so will be spending abit of cash on that xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Roll on Friday as that's pay day and I would really love to be able to keep saving as much as possible. It's always the little things I forget which tend to add up!
Well done everyone, you're all doing so great and it inspires me to try harder :) x

I need this thread! Yesterday was car tax, MOT, fixing a nail in the tyre, 300 quid for a conference ticket PLUS my cat is pregnant and I'm buying kitten food in bulk!

Chick pea curries and cut price black bananas for me this month... All tips greatly appreciated.

well done on the ebay action emsie!

I have spent a lot of my £50 over the weekend - only got just over £5 left to last til Friday so it will be a challenge not to go over on it!

I also spent about £25 on my card at costco stocking up on a few bits that I needed. I am going to try and 'pay that back' over the next few weeks by not spending my whole £50 but we will see how that goes.

Expenses should have come through now so that is going straight onto council tax!

Back