Just getting into photography

heya, i have a fuji s9600. Have just embarked on a distant learning diploma in photography. I chose to go with the fuji over the cannon for a few reasons...price, mostly because i didnt want to have to wait 2 yrs before i could afford a decent lens! my ones a nice inbetween, all the function of an slr but with out the worry of changing lens...obviously you can get various attachments for it as it is a standard 58mm.

lovely thread!

I have a lot to learn about exposure. Bought a book "Understanding Exposure" recently - a fab book!

I would DEFINITELY recommend this book to anyone interested in photography - it just lays everything you need to know out there in plain and easy language. I go back and reread bits of it every now and again, it's like a security blanket book!

My camera comes everywhere with me ... I love it. I use a Canon 40D with a variety of lenses, I prefer macro work and animal photographs (not a "people" photographer and certainly not a landscape kinda gal). Once I figure out how to work the gallery on here I'll share some in case anyone wants to see :)

heya, i have a fuji s9600. Have just embarked on a distant learning diploma in photography. I chose to go with the fuji over the cannon for a few reasons...price, mostly because i didnt want to have to wait 2 yrs before i could afford a decent lens! my ones a nice inbetween, all the function of an slr but with out the worry of changing lens...obviously you can get various attachments for it as it is a standard 58mm.

lovely thread!

have the same cam they are great, first thing i done was buy a uv filter and leave it on at all times

reason : it don't effect your photos at all
and it protects that big lens that can't be replaced if it's damaged.

ooooh a photography forum!! woohoo!

I am a photography nut. I have a canon 20D and several lenses. I like all kinds of photography but particularly like motorsport.

I've not tried the 400D but have heard good things about it. Good luck.

Here's a couple of my motorsport shots if anyone is interested :)

_MG_1148.jpg

_MG_1415.jpg

_MG_1426-frm.jpg

_MG_1147.jpg

I can't get the page to load for my motorbike shots :(

This is one I took of my daughter

_MG_0054_facecrop.jpg

iNaTiZ - WOW!! :eek::eek:

Amazing photo's! :D

Some fab photos guys! I'm a photography nut too...started with a Canon 350d, moved up to a 40d and am hoping to buy a new 5d mkii when the price drops. :eek::D

I don't have a favourite genre, if it catches my eye i'll photograph it. :D

Great Photos.. Bought a Canon 400d a few months back... 1st proper camera so getting into it.. Will put up some when I get used to it and take some good ones! :)

001.JPG

Bought myself a Canon EOS 400D D-SLR camera last week. Not had much of a chance to take many pictures as yet, but I will once the holidays are here.
Any other budding photographers?

i love taking photos but my camera is way too crappy (the cheapest piece of sh** on the market:D) i am currently dreaming of a Sony Alpha 350 but unfortunately- no extra money lying around;( I am totally in love with it tho...:)

I was so looking forward to lots of clickers on here! alas the thread is bare.
I have a Canon 450D and went on a one day course to learn how to use it. I was enthused and ready for action...........but due to being a lazy tart I tend to use my point and shoot more.

Hi everyone

I have recently started getting into photography after buying myself a newer digital camera - it's only a point and shoot Canon IXUS 80 but in comparison to my previous camera the quality is so much better. Here are a picture I have taken recently with it:

3181893901_83ff0ed48a.jpg

I also use the camera on my phone sometimes when I don't have my camera with me

3089887937_38ed579617.jpg

I was really pleased that during December I won my first photography competition on Flickr in the group for the town I live in. Plus my first ever picture made Flickr explore and went up to number 116 which basically means it was the 116th most popular picture on Flickr that day. This is it here:

3173829293_edf0715b9f.jpg

Hopefully at the end of this month I was be getting myself a Canon 40D and I cannot wait! I'm going to go on a photography course to learn how to use it - there is a company which does one day courses near to me that are pretty reasonable and are tailor made for specific Canon SLRs (like the 400D, 450D and the 40D).

A good place to look for photography courses is to do a google search and see if your towns Local Adult Education (ACE) do anything as most of them usually run a few different kinds of photography courses that are either run in the evenings or at weekends :)

Hiya

I live in Bucks too and have a Canon 400d - that course sounds really interesting - can you give me any more info?
Sha
xx

your challenge sounds fab Sara. I would love to do something like that!

I have started my own photography business, have a 400D and looking to by 5dmkII v soon, also work in a camera shop too :D after quitting my job as a forensic scientist

done a pro photography diploma, and a wedding photography course, love taking pics esp @ gigs :)

got a craft fair (my first) next sunday (26th July) is a bit scary but will test my "fine art" work i guess, see if its only me that likes it!!

well done Sally.
I did a wee photography course which helped me understand my camera better. I think I have finally got the iso/fnumbers and shutter speed thing into my head!
love it all! xxx

I have started my own photography business, have a 400D and looking to by 5dmkII v soon, also work in a camera shop too :D after quitting my job as a forensic scientist

done a pro photography diploma, and a wedding photography course, love taking pics esp @ gigs :)

got a craft fair (my first) next sunday (26th July) is a bit scary but will test my "fine art" work i guess, see if its only me that likes it!!

How did it go?

I do photography in my spare time...
A bit of a strange one though, I like to sneak into old abandoned buildings like asylums and factories and document the history!!

Only recently I got a Canon 350D so just learning about it now. Before I had a wee digital camera point and click.

Some of my photos have been used in things like Top Gear magazine, a book on old swimming pools and The Sun newspaper cheekily stole a few pictures from my flickr page without asking and posted an article completley un-related to me, so I sent them a nasty letter about copyright and an invoice.... 3 weeks later they paid up!! :D

Yeah, The Sun, The Daily Mail, and a few other tabloids are famed for just stealing pictures off the internet then paying up only if the artist catches them in the act and writes to them. It's cheaper - they only pay for what they get wrist-slapped for, not for everything they print.

Users on b3ta.com regularly get their photomanipulations stolen by the tabloids. It's a very, very common problem.

But then we're onto my rant about how nobody cares about intellectual property rights, and I'll be here for years yelling about it ;)

I own a Canon 40d, brought it second hand last February and I love it although I really want to upgrade to a Canon 5D Mark II which is what I am saving up for now!

You can see some of my pictures here if you want a nosey Flickr: Photography by Sharon Curran's Photostream

Karmacoma - I have done a bit of ur-exing myself. Went on one on Monday actually to an abadnoned brickworks near our house. It was huge and we only got to cover a bit of it as it was so open it was hard to get around in the daytime without being spotted. Haven't gone through my pictures yet but I got quite a few :)

I am just starting to look into taking my photography a bit more seriously. I have taken photos with my dad on a basic point and click for years but now I want to upgrade.

I am looking at a Nikon D60 or D80 at the moment second hand as I don't have a fortune to spend. I am a total novice at the technical side to photography and have not used photoshop at all, although I think I'd prefer to leave the photos alone and let them speak for themselves.

Anyone used/got a Nikon D60 or D80?

Back