Extra Easy Just got on the scales and I think I may cry!

needtoslim

Oh dear! I restarted SW last Thursday and have totally stuck to the plan 100%. Honestly, I have tried so hard! I am drinking more water and trying to move more and I really thought - especially with it being the first week - I would get a good loss. I just stepped on the scales and I am the same as I was at my weigh in!
I am devastated!
Can anyone advise me please? Thanks.
xx

DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF AT HOME THE SCALES MIGHT BE DIFFERENT FROM CLASS AND THIS WILL ONLY HINDER YOUR WEIGHT LOSS.

Honestly Ive lost count of the amount of times this topic of thread appears. I think a sticky should be made with the above as the title!

I can advise you.

1) If you WI at group, take no notice of what your home scales say. They are not calibrated with each other.
2) You are 2 days before you are supposed to WI - your weight fluctuates from day to day. Dont get upset before you get on the scales on Thurs.
3) What were you doing before SW? Are your current stats accurate? Because you really dont have a huge amount to lose and so it probably wont come off as quickly as it would if you needed to lose more.

But if people got paid for saying "Stay away from the home scales" on this board, we would all be very rich. Very few of us however who have home scales can resist this. What you need to do is one of the following - hide/bin them, not put the responsibility for your mental attitude to the weightloss on what they tell you, and only trust your actual group WI to track your weight.

I agree with all of the above. I've made the decision to bin mine - I've even had occasions when my home scales have indicated a loss and I've not seen this loss at my official WI and this can be just as disheartening as seeing a gain before class.
BIN THE SCALES!

My advice is the same as everyone else, never weigh yourself. No scales tell the same result & the SW scales are accurate, plus if you weigh in the same time every week it''ll be correct. Even weighing 1 or 2 days earlier than usual can throw you.

From someone who has only just got over a 'I must weigh myself everyday' obsession, keep away from the scales. I'd weigh myself, see I'd gained & be upset the entire day, next day at weigh-in the result would be totally different.

Its just not worth it hun :) x

Thanks Ladies.
This probably sounds really daft, but my stomach looks as though its gone down a bit, so I thought I'd risk the scales as I thought there must be a loss showing, so you can imagine how my jaw dropped when I saw that figure!
I shall stay off now and see what happens on Thursday!
xxx

i understand hun i felt the same thing this morning hun so I jumped on the scales and i've gained 5lb and for awhile I was devasted but then I remembered i'd eaten at sandwich at 11pm last night just before bed and also I know cause i used to weigh at home every day that your weight can go up and down. don't let it put you off keep going and you will get a loss hun

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I started on SW on July but the meetings were really awful and the info I was given was rubbish so I fell off the wagon and now Christmas is coming, I just want to get myself on track, so I started at the new meetings and I feel SO motivated!
I've evn arranged to go power walking with a friend and have signed up for a Combat fitness class, so I am really determined to be successful, but the lure of the scales was too too much! LOL
I have learned my lesson! (And PLEASE let my loss on Thursday be a goodie!:sign0009:)
xxx

If you're sticking to the plan 100% then don't be put out by what the scales read, your weight can fluctuate within the space of an hour so it will always read differently at different times and what not. Try to see the bigger picture! If you're doing the plan, then you will lose weight, regardless of what you weigh at present. :)

If you're still struggling then try keeping a food diary so you can pin point anything that could be changed. Either way, good luck! :D

(I threw the batteries out of my scales away!)

Thank you!! I'm not doing tooo badly. Had a bit of an awful day saturday (it was actually a very good day but had far too much ice cream :() but I weighed in this morning and lost 3.5lbs :)

Have you thought about writing a blog? It really helps when you're feeling a bit frustrated and can help put things into perspective.

Emily xx

Hi emily - Yes, I have thought about a blog but right now, my other writing commitments are taking up a bit of time. I write for a couple of magazines and am writing this whilst having a break from writing one of my columns. Ironically, one of the mags I have been writing for, I've been their food writer! LOL
Once I get my deadlines out of the way, I may well start that blog though!
xxx

Haha, wow that is a lot of writing! I'm thinking of taking a creative writing class next year so I'm sure my blog will struggle around then :D

Think the other thing that is a far better method of tracking weight loss is your measurements. You often change shape for the better even though the scales may not show much of a difference.
Your clothes will also begin to tell you what your body is doing. Have a pair of trousers, say as test trousers. Either ones that fit now, start to see when they get looser and looser. My hubby has jeans that absolutly didnt fit, they were old ones or ones he bought and then put on more weight, every month say he'll try on the 'test' jeans. to start with the old small ones wouldnt go up past thighs, now not only have the fitted, but are now again on the reject pile as TOO BIG.
So use other methods to gauge your body shape, as well as WI.

Whilst I agree that you shouldn't get hung up on what your scales say at home it is important that you at least have a rough idea about how they tally up to the SW scales.

I found when I 'lost my way' and stopped going to SW for a while I kept telling myself that I wasn't doing that bad since my scales showed I hadn't gained any weight. In reality the SW scales were probably about 5lbs out from my ones at home so had actually gained maybe 5lbs.

But like I said, be aware, not obsessed!

My 2nd weigh in was last Thursday and i put on 0.5lb, i couldn't believe it, i been pretty good sticking to eating healthy foods. This week i stuck to plan most of the week, a bad alcohol blip on Friday and lost 4lb this wi. I can only think our body needs time to adjust. And, im not going to bother with my scales anymore even a lb difference can knock me back, so best left well alone, until nearer target.

ive binned my scales as im to tempted to weigh everyday and they seemed to have a mind of there own in the evenings i was about 6lbs heavier than in the morning i know weight fluctuates but it was starting to depress me lol

I think I agree with you ladies - I shall skip the scales completely, at least for the first couple of weeks. I can honestly say I have stuck to plan and even my syns are low (by this time each day they are generally at zero. I have a hot choc at bed time and maybe a biscuit) so whatever the scales say at WI, atleast I know I definitely did my best!
xx

Oh dear. Well, at my weigh in last week, it appeared that my scales are pretty much showing the sames at the ones at the SW meeting.
I'd GAINED .5 lb
To say I was upset would be an understatement, but I have refused to get down about it and have once again stuck to the plan.
Increased my syns to about 10 each day, lots of water etc etc....
Definitely dont feel as if anythinbg is happening though, so caved in and tried the scales. Havent shifted an ounce apparently.
I am a bit worried now....
x

Back