Just Started Slimfast

Hiya Folks,

I just thought I'd introduce myself and see if I can get some support through the forum. That's me just finished my second day of Slimfast. So far it's going okay. Yesterday was a breeze but I think I've definitely felt a bit more hungry today. I'm looking forward to getting to my first weigh-in to see how effective it is though. Even though I only started yesterday, I'll be having my usual weigh-ins on a Monday. This is because I work offshore and I leave home on a Monday to join my platform on a Tuesday. I won't be able to weigh-in while I'm offshore so I'll have 3 weeks worth of results and 2 where I'm away usually. I will be taking Slimfast away with me though so I'll see how it goes.

Yesterday I started the day with a strawberry shake made from the powder and skimmed milk. I just used a cocktail shaker to mix it up as it was faster and easier to clean than the blender. I have to say that I quite enjoyed it. I've seen on other threads that some people don't really like the powdered shakes but so far I'm impressed. For my morning snack I had a packet of sour cream and chive pretzels which were good enough. I thought I'd try a summer berry meal bar. Can't say I was over enamoured but it was edible enough. In the afternoon I had a chocolate caramel treat snack bar which I have to say must now be one of my favourite sweets. Very impressed! At night I had pasta carbonara using a recipe from the Philadelphia range. Very nice and under the 600 kcal mark. In the evening I had a KitKat to finish off the day. Over the course of the day I also made sure I had my 2 litres of water and also had a couple of cheeky cans of Diet Coke. Felt rather good about myself by the end of the day.

Today I started again with the strawberry shake. Morning snack was the Heavenly Chocolate Delight snack bar (quite tasty). Lunch was a ready made Simply Vanilla Shake which was lovely. In the afternoon I had a packet of Cheddar flavour bites. Again, quite tasty. For my dinner I made a quick Chicken Cordon Bleau from one of the Hairy Dieters books along with a couple of sweetcorn fritters and some salad. Very nice! Not had my supper yet but it's all going good. I'm not feeling overly hungry so I think I might be able to manage this.

I've also got a dog which I walk for about 3 miles every day so with the reduced amount of calories I'm on, I think that's plenty exercise to be getting on with.

I'm really looking forward to sharing tips and stories with other people on here. It's always nice to have a bit of support from like minded people. Thanks for reading my waffle. I hope to keep it up till I'm the size I want to be.

Kev

Hi ya , Just finished day 4 and I'm too am enjoying the plan altho I keep saying that on a weekday I've to survive the weekend yet lol, I have decided to have my first weigh in tomorrow as with all all my commitments over the coming weeks it will be best :), Your dinners sound yum especially the sweetcorn fritters Good luck to you and looking forward to sharing your journey with you . Ginger x

Thanks for the response Ginger. Good to hear from someone else on the same journey. Especially someone who has the same initial weight loss goal by the looks of things.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your weigh in today. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Kev

Day 4. Still managing ok. I'm feeling very positive so far. Going to weigh myself on Monday or Tuesday. Haven't decided yet but I'm optimistic for a good number. Also very much enjoying the Slim-Fast snack bars.

Only 3 stone to go...... ?

I wouldn't be able to resist weighting myself Kev. Sometimes I have to work hard not to become a slave to my scales. :(

How filling do you find the snack bars? I haven't tried them as I like to try to make my food last as long as I can and I think I'd devour one in seconds. Oops. lol

Hi Minnow,

Thank you for the message. I'm not too bad with the scales. I've built up a fear of them over the years!! ;) I must admit though, I'm beginning to like them more since I stood on them this morning. Although I like to think of myself in stones and pounds, I weigh myself in kilos. That's how it's done when I go offshore and my goal is based on an offshore target. Anyhoo, I digress, when I stepped on the scales this morning I was over the moon to see that I've lost 3.7kg in 6 days!! That's over 8lbs which is over half a stone!!!!!! I had to weigh myself a few more times to make sure it wasn't my scales playing up. I know most people have a lot of success on week one and it gets less over the following weeks but I must say that it's given me motivation to keep going. My next weigh in will be on Monday next week since I'm then away offshore.

As for the snack bars Minnow, they taste lovely and they take the edge of the hunger pangs for me. They don't fill me up certainly. Just gives me a bit of extra boost to make it to lunch time. I was travelling yesterday so took a meal replacement bar with me instead of a shake for lunch. However, after seeing that you were on the Tesco Ultraslim Minnow, I had a look at the products on Sunday. I bought some Raspberry and White Chocolate meal replacement bars. Wow!!! I love white chocolate so I guess I'm biased but, so much better than the Slim Fast meal replacement bars.

Kev

That's a fantastic start Kev! :) Congratulations! :) It really spurs you on to keep going doesn't it?

When I really went for it re losing weight a few years ago I took notice of every possible unit of measurement. Every drop, no matter how tiny, kept me on the straight and narrow, and as I got into the very bad habit of weighing myself every morning most were tiny. I'm either jumping on the scales all the time or can't face getting on them at all and bury my head in the sand about my weight. It isn't good. :(

1lb on Monday though Minnow. Not quite as much but the average over 2 weeks is a great result.

I got rushed to hospital on Monday night with a severe case of misdiagnosis by GP. It's a serious condition which includes bright red cheeks when being asked why you're there and a general feeling of shame and embarrassment!! The only known cure is getting the f out of there which I've finally managed today. Here's hoping hospital food hadn't been to unkind to my numbers.

So, it's back to work a week late (assuming GP signs me back on) and a re-entry in to the world of Slimfast! Fingers crossed I haven't done too much damage.

Oh crikey, you had me holding my breath there for a moment Kev. I'm glad your 'misdiagnosis' wasn't anything worse.

I bolstered my resolve to keep going on my own slow second week by constantly reminding myself that week two of diets are notoriously slow for weight loss, and also how bad I'd feel later if I gave up. Hang in there - it isn't the hospital food that does the damage but rather the sweet trolley. ;)

I've finally got over my hospital escapade. Just trying to get the doctor to let me go back to work now. It's getting very frustrating. Anyhoo, I've decided to round down the weeks I've been on my diet. When I weighed myself yesterday it was technically 2 and a half weeks I was on the diet so I'm going to just call it two weeks yesterday to keep things even. Obviously that means I've lost a bit more. I got down another few pounds so am well pleased with myself. I think I may hit my first target of 90kg earlier than I'd hoped hopefully. If all goes to plan though, I'm not going to manage a weigh in for a couple of weeks when I'm at work. Fingers crossed I'll get some answers tomorrow!!

Not sure what hospitals you've been in Minnow. The one I was in didn't have a sweet trolley! Lol. In fairness, the food wasn't bad while I was there though.

I've been switching between Slim-Fast and Tesco Ultraslim. I'm sure they must be interchangeable. It's worked so far anyway. The sachets are easier than the tins to work with when you're in a hurry. The meal replacement bars are much nicer than the Slim-Fast ones though. I've bought 6 tins of Slim-Fast from Amazon though so I'll have to live with it for a while.

Yay Kev, congratulations, that's another great loss! :D I'm so pleased for you. :D

I can't imagine that Slimfast and Tesco aren't interchangeable. I do like how the Tesco one is pre measured for you, but I keep my eye on which offers the best value. ;)

Well, that's us most of the way through the festive season and I've had ups and downs as far as diet goes. I've not let it upset me though. I've been on Slim-Fast whenever I can and reasonably careful when I've not managed. I'm not currently able to weigh myself as I'm away from home till Tuesday. I'll weigh myself Wednesday morning to assess the damage! If I have put some on I won't be too concerned. It's Christmas after all! Time will tell how bad it is. It'll be fine to settled back in to a routine at home.

I can relate to that Kev. Christmas is definitely a distraction, but the thing is to not let it derail us from our long term goals. After putting some weight on myself I'm really looking forward into getting back into my normal routine. Onwards and downwards! :)

Happy New Year. Well, that's it all over with. Somehow I managed to lose weight over the festive season which was a bit of a shock to say the least!! I did notice I was eating a lot less than I would normally though even if I wasn't on Slim Fast very strictly. I'm back to normal now though and it's Slim Fast strictly again. I'm now off work until 24th February so I can afford to keep it controlled. Still feeling positive.

Nice work Kev. :)

Thanks Alison. I'm really pleased with my progress so far. I got my weigh in day back on to a Monday this morning and lost another couple of pounds. It's all good! The only thing that worries me is that I'm having some nerve pains in my shoulders at the moment and my shoulder muscles are wasting away because of it. I'm hoping it's not that which is making all the difference. My clothes are getting looser around my belly though and my wife assures me that it's getting smaller so I'll remain positive that this diet is really working.

I'm quietly confident about reaching my goal by my birthday in April. Fingers crossed...........

Kev, if you have lost 18.5lbs from just your shoulders you must have had some major 'shoulderage' going on there mate! :p

Do you measure yourself as well as weigh? I love seeing the inches go down almost as much as I do the pounds. :)

Fair point Alison! Lol. I probably have lost fat as well as muscle.

I haven't been measuring myself, no. Maybe I should have as it would have been another potential motivator. I guess my previously tight clothes are the way I've been measuring inches.

I have been referred for an operation on my shoulder on Tuesday next week. It'll hopefully fix the problem but it means I'll probably be off work for another 3 months (they won't let you travel offshore if you can't get a flight survival suit on for the chopper!). I guess that'll be good for the diet as I have less control over my meals while I'm at work and occasionally the temptation proves too much! I'm thinking healing probably burns calories too! Lol.

Off to Tesco now to buy a week's worth of dinners.

Good luck with your op Kev :)

I think once I was over the worst of it I would see my time off work as a chance to focus on my weight loss. There's a lot you won't be able to do but at the very least you could get out walking every day.

I've not updated in a while. Been a long 10 days! I went for my operation last Tuesday only to be turned away due to having an infection.

I made the decision to come off Slim-Fast till I'd beat the infection so I've not been on it since last Tuesday. I've been taking antibiotics so the infection is now gone. I had my operation the day before yesterday so am now in a lot of pain. It's my intention to get back on Slim-Fast in the next few days though.

Even though I've been off plan, I've not been eating badly so I'm still managing to lose weight. Last Monday I weighed in at 99.5kg which was a huge lift for me as I've not been under 100 for I don't know how long. Monday past I had another small loss taking me to 99.2kg. Very pleased with that. I'm well on course to make my goals.

Back