Karenlou's diary - Hello, I'm home!

Lovely to have you back Karen. I hope you are doing okay. Well done for maintaining! Keep it up :)xxx

It seems so right to see you back Karen.

That is just fantastic about the Uni place and bursary and I'm sure you will do really well.

Hopefully the drugs are helping you and if you can follow core and maintain or loose a little that would work out as you always did well on it before.

Hoping Mum is getting sorted

M

Hi Karen, great to see you back, sorry to hear you are unwell, hope you are improving? Well done on the uni place thats brilliant - were the NHSI of any help to you?

Thanks for the welcomes back from you all, it's nice to feel I have been missed.

I didn't hear back from NHSI, Lydia, but thanks for your help in putting me in touch with them anyway.

I am surfing the net in bed this morning - tablets make me very sleepy and my shoulders have been painful the last few days. My mum is on form - I have gone through all the power of attorney forms with her and she has just got to get them signed by the doc, which I want her to do for herself if she can as I need her to understand that it's her free choice to have me as her attorney. She managed to lose the forms but luckily I have them on my laptop. Went to get a new set signed and witnessed and, lo and behold, she'd found the old ones. "You won't believe it," she said (no I won't mum, but go on). "I was in the bedroom and they slid out from under the carpet all by themselves and rose up the wall!" "What," sez I, "like a snake charmer's snake or something?" "Yes, just like that. I'm going to look under the carpet now and see if there's any money under there". Yes, you do that mum and maybe we'll find your false teeth too as I'm at my wits end to think what she can have done with them. Fortunately, I have found her an NHS dentist who is very good with her, despite being a "man of colour" (she doesn't like asians at all and can be very badly behaved about it!) and she should get her new teeth today. We have promised to take her out for tea to celebrate her new teeth, although it's like taking a toddler out; she can be very naughty in public and wherever we take her is wrong!

Josh is not going to make it home for Christmas so we've booked a few days in a hotel in Brighton for a "Twixmas" break which I'm looking forward to - I love hotel breakfasts but they don't love me ha ha.

Weigh-in this morning confirms that I have stayed the same which I am pleased about as the tablets do make me terribly hungry at night. I'd like to knock off a few pounds if I can but the doctor says weight gain on these tablets is almost inevitable and he's keeping me on as low a dose as possible for that reason. So, I'll be happy (ish) to maintain and prove him wrong and have treated myself to some new clothes to help my self-esteem.

Going to drag myself out of bed shortly and take the dog for a long walk which will do us both good :)

Oh I'm sorry they didn't come back to you, how rude of them!! I take it mum is suffering from dementia? We got power of attorney for grandad before his diagnosis and then had to get it registered when he was diagnosed with vascular dementia - it does make things far easier to sort out and arrange various bits and pieces! Grandad used to behave outrageously in public in the earlier stages of his illness! I was constantly apologising to people on his behalf LOL!!!

No worries Lydia - it was nice of you to take the trouble.

Yes, mum has dementia. I think I'm more embarrassed by her than other people are. She lives in warden controlled accommodation and is really scared about the idea of having to go into nursing care. We're trying to keep her independence as long as possible but she doesn't do herself any favours especially as she tells the most outragious lies to the warden - who then rings me and I have to explain that, yes, she does have money and, no, it's not true that she has no food in the flat. She thinks she's getting one over on the warden by telling her these things and doesn't realise that, if she's not careful, she may be hastening her exit into residential care by fibbing!

Ah well, such is life eh? I keep telling my son to watch out as he'll be looking after me one day ha ha.

Sorry to hear things haven't been going very well for you lately. Hope things will pick up soon. x

Well done on your STS Karen x x x

Sorry to hear you're have a bad time lately but glad to see you back! Can totally relate to what you say bout your mum - my nan was just the same! *Big hugs* xxx

I know what you mean, my grandad told someone that I sold his car and kept the money (obviously I didn't really!!), he used to tell us he'd been robbed, the amount of times we nearly called the police!!! Me and mum looked after Grandad ourselves for 10 months (we lived with him 1/2 a week each) but it just got too much for us and we had to find a dementia care home in the end, we are very lucky though, he's in a great home!

Yes, my mum told my auntie that I was stealing her money; she told me the bank manager was stealing her money and she told everyone the we were conspiring to trick her into going into care! V frustrating but we do our best for her.

I had a good day food-wise yesterday until late evening when Keith decided he wanted chips! Which would have been fine except a little voice (mine apparently) piped up with "oh I'll have a bag too then". Grr! They were very nice though :D

Back on track today though.

I do sympathise, while my grandma never had dementia, she was very much like it on morphine - she tried to set fire to a tissue while my mum was looking after her because she was convinced my mum was poisoning her! Very sad :(

Hehe, well as long as you enjoyed them, I'll let you off ;)

Back