keeping weight off longterm

justdoit-ro

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some positive feedback on whether it is possible to keep food off longterm after lipotrim (if you follow healthy eating with exercise plan)...since joining last week I have been doing lots of research on net & there is so many posts about putting weight back on......what kind of calorie intake will be required to keep it off....also was thinking of joining either weight watchers or slimming world after to maintain which is best if either?
thanks Ro.:confused:

There are people who keep the weight off .. you are no more likely to put it back on after LT than you are after a normal diet like weight watchers .. simple maths , calories in must equal calories out to maintain weight , the average is about 2000 calories a day for maintaining and as long as you are sensible and always keep aware of your old habits and weigh yourself regularly I am sure it can be done :)
I am planning on joining slimming world when I finish to keep the weight off and make me monitor my intake and weight always .. I have done SW before and liked the fact that unlike WW there isnt much weighing of foods .. some foods are 'free' so you are aloud as much as you like .. some arent ... I found it simplar than WW personally
Katie

Hi
I'm definately joint either sw or ww haven't decided yet but do think its important for me as i have to weigh and pay for the pleasure, it then regulates me

Hi Ro,

Go into the maintenance forum here and you'll find people who have lost weight on LT and kept it off.

I think that you'll only fail at keeping it off if you let yourself fail. You can't lose all the weight on LT then go back to eating as you did before. Spend your time on LT thinking about why you got overweight. Re-educate yourself about food. Food is fuel not comfort, only eat when hungry, calories in, calories out etc, and you can't fail.

I was an emotional/boredom eater. Being on LT has taught that I can deal with all sorts of stress/emotions without turning to food for comfort. Hopefully that will stay with me!

as the others have said it is possible babes

It can be done - BUT it is hard! You need to have a plan and stick to it very carefully. The idea of doing LT for a certain time and then "coming off" a diet is not good! There is no end to being aware of what you eat if you want to maintain. That is not to say that you can't indulge but you need to be careful and build those treats into a sensible eating plan. You need to focus on how you want to be - that is in control of your eating and not controlled by it. If you revert to old eating habits then your weight will go back on. Healthy eating needs to be a lifestyle choice and not just a temp fix.

Good luck!

x

Just want to echo what has been said so far. It is good that you are thinking of this at this stage as it shows you are already thinking about food and your relationship with it.
At the end of the day, any of us on here tend towards putting on weight for whatever reason. Therefore, we must always be aware of what we put into our bodies cos' what we eat today we wear tomorrow. Use your time on LT to think about what plan might suit you best afterwards. lots of luck for your journey.

thanks so much for all the advice ....yes these have been my sentiments regarding starting LT ....I hope it to be a kick start to a healthier active lifestyle....I was 3 1/2 st lighter 5-6 years ago after losing on ww but it creeps on...I guess the key is to watch the food closely and become as active as possible EVERY day!!!
thanks Ro.

Hero to Zero: Fat to thin and back to fat again!

It's tough to keep the weight off. After losing 10 stone I kept my weight fairly steady for some time and even got quite fit but then it all went pear shaped!

The catalyst happened when I was training for a 300 mile sponsored cycle that I did in August thru Zambia, Zimbabwe, Boswana and Namibia. I'd just started building up my carbs in take to keep my energy levels high due to the fact that I was doing so much exercise when some thug pushed me off my bike and injured me. Following that incident I kept on eating the high levels of carbs but was unable to exercise for a month. That is when the weight started to creep back on!

However, I managed to get back in the saddle and completed my training and then in August spent six days cycling in the African bush. It was an amazing experience and something I could not have done without losing weight on LT. However, once back in the UK I screwed everything up. Once back at work I started my old bingeing habits - McDonlad's breakfast, large bars of chocolate, family sized crisps etc and also started drinking too much. I kept thinking I'll stop this and get back on track but I have been stuck in a spiral of self destruction! It's only now that I find myself back where I was two years ago that I have decided to fight back and use LT again.

I hope that I can find the impetus that I found previously and with your help I shuld be able to do this again. Then I will work on strategies so as to not make the same mistakes again!

My advice is to read, talk and learn as much as you can about nutrition whilst you are on LT. Being on TFR means you can look at food completely objectively and examine how you REALLY feel about different foods. LT is great for losing weight but it only gives you an opportunity to start a healthy eating plan. It is up to you if you sieze the opportunity or not.
I have literally just started refeeding (yesterday) and have done what I can to prepare, but I'm nervous about it all. I can recommend some books if you like. You should also talk to you pharmacist about what they offer in regards maintenace (mine have loads of options) and your doctor. The NHS do have resources for weight management but you have to search them out.
You're obviously thinking about it which is great: LT is NOT a quick fix, but it really gives you a chance if you're prepared to accept that you will have to change your food issues for life.

Best of luck

Jon

Hi I have been off LT since may last year, and so apart from putting a few pounds on at christmas have kept it off and even lost another 11 pounds through healthy eating after refeed. so yes it can be done. I use the maintenance forum to keep on track, if I think I am on a slippery slope and find people so supportive on there. Good luck.

It's tough to keep the weight off. After losing 10 stone I kept my weight fairly steady for some time and even got quite fit but then it all went pear shaped!

The catalyst happened when I was training for a 300 mile sponsored cycle that I did in August thru Zambia, Zimbabwe, Boswana and Namibia. I'd just started building up my carbs in take to keep my energy levels high due to the fact that I was doing so much exercise when some thug pushed me off my bike and injured me. Following that incident I kept on eating the high levels of carbs but was unable to exercise for a month. That is when the weight started to creep back on!

However, I managed to get back in the saddle and completed my training and then in August spent six days cycling in the African bush. It was an amazing experience and something I could not have done without losing weight on LT. However, once back in the UK I screwed everything up. Once back at work I started my old bingeing habits - McDonlad's breakfast, large bars of chocolate, family sized crisps etc and also started drinking too much. I kept thinking I'll stop this and get back on track but I have been stuck in a spiral of self destruction! It's only now that I find myself back where I was two years ago that I have decided to fight back and use LT again.

I hope that I can find the impetus that I found previously and with your help I shuld be able to do this again. Then I will work on strategies so as to not make the same mistakes again!

Hey!

Welcome back! You have done so well last time so you can do it again.

Good luck :)

thanks for all that ...there is so much negativity about LT .......the main argument against it is that you loose so much muscle and wreck your metabolism that when you come off you will gain even with healthier eating....(obviously everyone will gain if return to high cal/high fat )....but scared I will be on extremely low cals for rest of life to maintain weight loss.......I really don't want this as a quick fix ..I want this as a lifestyle change to clear the fat for good and allow me to be who I want to be and live the life I want to live and be healthy & well for my beautiful daughter....it seems to me that the past 20 years I have been putting life on hold until I lose the weight...it is a huge dark cloud that'sbeen there all my life and I want to be free.....rant over. xxx thanx Ro.

All I can say is that I was on TFR from 8th September 2009 to 8th February 2010, lost 6 stones 4 lbs and feel better than I have ever felt. I have more energy, stamina and get-up-and-go and can honestly say I feel like a different person:happier, more contented and looking forward to the future. I know it doesn't work for everyone, and that many people can't hack the dull flavours on TFR but it has given me a fantastic opportunity to change my life for the better. If I don't grasp that I will only have myself to blame.

For what it's worth I say GO FOR IT and ignore the negativity! You CAN do it if you want it enough.

Good luck

Jon
xx

Back