Ketogenic Enteral Nutrition Diet

RaeB

Wow very expensive and rather extreme. But if it helps people lose weight and extend there life.

Think I'll stick with s&s, lol.

I read that trying to keep an open mind- after all, before I really looked into VLCDs this year I was one of those who would say it's unhealthy, you'll lose muscle, you'll gain it all back etc. I can see that would be very very useful for severely obese people, like those we see on Supersize vs Superskinny when they go to America.

However the things that stand out are the Dr treating his own wife who 'didn't have much weight to lose' So why do something so extreme? I mean the stomach will shrink, I know after a day on shakes/soups only my jaw hurts the next day if I try and chew. After 10 days I imagine it would hurt to chew! Also find it odd that they can have tea,coffee etc. Even black coffee well it's hardly a food break is it, if you are consuming something you would have anyway? Pus I think a lot of people get obese because they have food and consumption issues- I know I do. So to say yes you can have tea or coffe could mean people 'binge' on it, it's a hard habit to break to keep taking in foods and drinks. Which may have a negetive affect on health.

It is so extreme, seems it should only be used in extreme cases- like when mobility is affected by obesity, or an op is required quicker than you could lose weight on a VLCD for example.

Thanks for the link, very thought provoking!

Oh.My.Gosh! Really!? I can't believe that, it's not 1st of April today is it?? Lol

If people are that desperate, why not just do a water fast? That is essentially the same thing and what they don't mention is that the body will only use stored muscle for energy for the first day or so, and only a tiny bit, then the body switches to using fat as fuel so there would be no muscle wastage if they ate nothing at all and only drank water!! Much cheaper too!! Lol

But if you're at the stage where you're considering surgery, this would seem a much more attractive option surely. Plus it's cheaper. Less risks. You could take 10 days annual leave and not leave the house and come out lighter and feeling better. (I guess I'm playing devils advocate here a bit).

I agree that it's thought provoking and I can't make my mind up about it. I do think that at my lowest, I would have considered it. Of course that was before I found SnS and you lovely ladies.

This is teaching me more about eating than being abstinent ever did.

Kiika said:
Oh.My.Gosh! Really!? I can't believe that, it's not 1st of April today is it?? Lol

If people are that desperate, why not just do a water fast? That is essentially the same thing and what they don't mention is that the body will only use stored muscle for energy for the first day or so, and only a tiny bit, then the body switches to using fat as fuel so there would be no muscle wastage if they ate nothing at all and only drank water!! Much cheaper too!! Lol

That's actually not quite right. Although the brain can get nearly all of the energy it needs from ketosis it still needs a small amount of glucose. It gets this from converting some of the protein you eat into glucose. If you don't eat enough protein it will use your muscle mass which will lead to muscle wastage.

weasey said:
That's actually not quite right. Although the brain can get nearly all of the energy it needs from ketosis it still needs a small amount of glucose. It gets this from converting some of the protein you eat into glucose. If you don't eat enough protein it will use your muscle mass which will lead to muscle wastage.

Yes, that is true. But the body uses up any obsolete proteins it can find first, sparing as much lean muscle mass as possible. That is why fasting is often used to treat some cancers and other conditions as the fast forces the body to breakdown tumours etc and converts that into the glucose your body needs before any lean muscle mass is touched. Clever stuff really.

Not something I would attempt mind, unless I had a medical reason to. Weight loss is not a good reason to fast in my humble opinion. :)

Having been fed via a feeding tube stuck down my nose for 3 weeks when I was seriously ill just over a year ago (I was on a ventilator on ITU so couldn't eat anything) I can safely say that there is no way that I'd try this. The feeding tube wasn't uncomfortable per se (well not compared to the ventilator) but it did fall out a couple of times when the tape became unstuck, and I can just imagine that happening when you're hooked up to the machine if on the diet and moving about!

I don't know what I was 'eating'. It was some white liquid stuff that was syringed into the tube somehow. I never felt hungry but then I was ill and I guess you don't then anyway. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it - I'll stick to S&S!

Not sure why someone would choose to do this rather than simply drink the stuff. Any clues?

Someone was starting a waterfast on Minimins, they posted a link to Youtube supposedly to show how safe it was :eek:

OMG it was frightening. The girl on it did a water fast for 42 days, she did an online video diary. Started off looking normal, healthy and by the end of it looked like someone with very very severe anorexia. It was shocking!!

Starlight said:
Someone was starting a waterfast on Minimins, they posted a link to Youtube supposedly to show how safe it was :eek:

OMG it was frightening. The girl on it did a water fast for 42 days, she did an online video diary. Started off looking normal, healthy and by the end of it looked like someone with very very severe anorexia. It was shocking!!

Yeah I think I saw that! Didn't she go off line for a while an everyone was worried about her? Don't know what happened to her after if it's the same girl.

It's not something I would try myself, definitely too extreme!! Also I don't like water that much! Lol

So are you talking about a 'diet' when you just drink water?

Bloody hell - and they say VLCDs are extreme!

Yeah, some people will do anything to lose weight quickly. It's an extreme version of a juice fast or the maple syrup cayenne pepper diet I suppose. Nothing but water. An I mean nothing!! Not even herbal teas, just water!!!

It's making me hungry just thinking about it! I want cake!!!

Back