Ketosis and overeating

welshbrummie

Am in keytosis according to ketostix, managing to stay around 20g carbs per day.
But i just want to stuff my face, so i'm choosing protiens, loads of protiens.

So what happens when you're in keytosis and you overeat - seriously overeat.

Does the body use all the fat and protien to make loads of keytones? are they then flushed into the bladder. OR Does any of the food that i'm eating get used to make fat?

Only fat can be turned into ketones, excess proteins can turn to glucose as far as i'm aware. Try nibbling on cheese to see if you can stay fuller for longer, not too much mind. The hunger will go in a few days but in the meantime get lots of fats to fill you up.

Glucose? really? OMG thats bad!

When I got back on the plan on Jan 2nd after a 5 day 'break' (read: massive 120 hour carb binge) I found I had sugar cravings and overate protein and fat to compensate. Tried stuffing my cravings with cheese! They will eventually fade. I had to make bacon and eggs at 10pm one night to stop myself diving on a cheesecake.

Yep from what i know, i don't know how or why but it does. Think it says it in the book.

Once you are definately in ketosis you should be ok x

Eating fatty food does seem to help overcome cravings, and will make you feel fuller.

Aye, its defo in the book like.

Too much protein and too little fat can cause problems...and not just in the botty department!

My first 3 days of eating back on plan are protein filled... I'm definately one of the people that has to eat her way back into ketosis!

me too, i dont get into it easily.
been supposedly behaving last few days, erm, the huge box of black magic that was opened at work last night wasn't helpfull. oh well, tomorrow it is for starting over!

-FJ- said:
Aye, its defo in the book like.

Too much protein and too little fat can cause problems...and not just in the botty department!

I love what u have just put! Cheered me up no end! x

Your diet should be more fats than proteins though I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. As long as you're not eating sugars/carbs you're on the right path. Might just take a couple more days to get there. Proteins are less dense in calories than fats/sugars, so to overeat to the point where you started gaining weight would take a serious amount.

No harm in edging yourself off the carbs if easier in the longer term.

I just mentioned this on another thread, but my first few days were peckish. I looked in the Atkins book to see how much protein I should be eating - 18oz for my height. I hadn't even been eating half of this amount. I've upped it now and hunger has left me (and I have started leaving things on my plate - previously unheard of for me!) Might be worth checking you're getting enough.

Good luck!

Back