KETOSIS HELP PLEASE

auntiebizzie

Hi, Does anyone know if having your period can knock you out of ketosis? I've been on New You for a fortnight. I've only eaten New You products and drunk coffee, peppermint tea and tap water. The ketostix were dark purple last week, and this week barely pink. Only thing different is I had my period over the weekend. Sorry to gross people out, but I can't think of anything else it could be. Any other suggestions gratefully received. :confused:

Hi,
You don't want the ketostix to be really dark purple, that usually means you are dehydrated.
The fact that they are still pink, means you are still in ketosis, and that you are well hydrated :)

HTH

podge x

Yep, Podge is right. Perhaps you had water retention before you came on and that messed around with the concentration of your ketones. And it's clearly not hurting your weight loss, so I wouldn't worry at all - great results.:cool:

Thanks Podge and Maia, that sounds about right. Haven't done a vlcd before so not really sure what to expect. Will no doubt be back on with more questions as I go along. Thanks again.

Even if the ketosis sticks show negative and show that you are not in ketosis, you still could be because it just so happens that no ketones are being excreted at that particular time of urinating. Ketostix are only useful to check that a person is not going onto the dark colours as that shows they are not drinking enough. Don't use Ketostix to check for ketosis because if you are following the diet to the letter you should be in ketosis. Of of the main signs of ketosis is an absence of hunger. Just imagine how you would be climbing the walls with hunger if you were simply having three shakes a day. That is the main advantage of being in ketosis - no hunger.

oh I did not know I had to stay in pink !!! its great to learn all this xx

Keep on drinking water. When you exercise, you lose water and salt content. Salt is important for survival....Drink water constantly, and everyday, try to take, a teaspoon of table salt, to keep dehydration down.

Back