Ketosis - how do I know

Hi all, I am on my second day with TS and am sticking to it religiously including drinking so much water I worry if I am too far away from a toilet! I am just wondering though how long has it taken others to get into Ketosis - I'm guessing we are all different, but an average would be great and how will I know I am there? Do I have to go and buy some measuring sticks or will I just feel different?

Hi Poshnickers, loving your name! I am on day 5 and my understanding is ketosis kicks in around day 3, but today I think I may have got there, because I feel better in myself and I have the most weird taste and feeling in my mouth which no amount of toothbrushing seems to get rid off. Loz x

Hi Loz
Can't help seeing your profile says you've lost 5lbs already - have you done that in 5 days?? That is great going!

My nickname is down to my stupid surname - I married it and since divorced it - it sounds quite similar but is incredibly difficult to spell and so Poshnickers became a nickname. I don't actually own any posh knickers but might purchase some if I lose some weight and start to feel good about myself once more.... ;)

I haven't woken up quite so hungry today - day 3 for me, not got any weird taste in my mouth though so I'm not sure....
Are there any other signs I should be looking out for do you know? And are the symptoms reduced with a large intake of water? I am getting through over 7 pints a day - on my 3rd already.

Haha if we manage to do this I think we deserve some nice new posh knickers lol!

I feel really well today despite just doing my 1st of 4 night shifts. Don't know what other signs there are of Ketosis but I think the feeling of well being is one. I think as well as water we can have sugar free chewing gum although I haven't tried this as I think it would make me feel hungry. I have been brushing my teath a lot though!

Loz x

Sorry meant to say I lost 5lb after 3 days, I don't plan on getting weighed in between Mondays, just did that one off as I knew it would just be lost water. I'm hoping any weight loss since then will be fat! ;)

Oh night shifts - they must be really tricky! But glad you are feeling well.... 5lbs after 3 days - that is really good going. I've had my off days - especially over the weekend just gone, missing my wine :(. I have the taste in the mouth though and have weighed myself this morning - I've lost 6lbs in 6 days! Can't believe it and it has really motivated me to carry on. It's odd though, yesterday (I had customer meetings and was in the car for about 8 hours) I was starving just a couple of hours after my shake in the morning and had to have a bar. But then after doing some gardening when I got home I decided I really should have another at 9:30pm even though I wasn't hungry - very odd.... Mouthwash is good on a regular basis I've found.

Yep night shifts are hard but it is getting easier.

Wow you lost 6lb in 6 days is fantastic. Yoiu must be really pleased with that, well done you!

Oh wow, congratulations Poshnickers (and Loz is right, that's a hilarious username) - what a great loss.

There's no magic way to tell if you're in ketosis. You can get wee-sticks which are supposed to tell you but they're not hugely reliable. You can sometimes get the metallic taste in your mouth but, again, I don't get that very often either.

Basically, to put it super non-scientifically: if you are sticking to plan, losing weight and not feeling rubbish then you are in ketosis. If you're in ketosis, you won't feel hungry and you'll actually feel fairly energised (unless you try to do something crazy like run for 10 miles) and your mind will clear and you won't have any other symptoms. You might also discover some slight changes to your habits: needing less sleep (I used to nap like woah but now 8 hours a night is more than enough for me) and TOTM regularising (but these could be general weight loss related, not ketosis related).

If you're pre-ketosis, you'll likely be low energy, tired, head-achey, fuzzy, grumpy and hungry!

Hi, I think for me it was on day 4 (yesterday!) that I started to feel better. I had a lot more energy than the day before and managed to hold off my first shake until noon. Trying for Noon, 3.30pm, 6.30pm to stave off the hunger I've been feeling of an evening. I know what you mean about drinking water. I don't think I've ever drank so much, so often. I really do feel the benefit of it though. :)

Oh wow, congratulations Poshnickers (and Loz is right, that's a hilarious username) - what a great loss.

There's no magic way to tell if you're in ketosis. You can get wee-sticks which are supposed to tell you but they're not hugely reliable. You can sometimes get the metallic taste in your mouth but, again, I don't get that very often either.

Basically, to put it super non-scientifically: if you are sticking to plan, losing weight and not feeling rubbish then you are in ketosis. If you're in ketosis, you won't feel hungry and you'll actually feel fairly energised (unless you try to do something crazy like run for 10 miles) and your mind will clear and you won't have any other symptoms. You might also discover some slight changes to your habits: needing less sleep (I used to nap like woah but now 8 hours a night is more than enough for me) and TOTM regularising (but these could be general weight loss related, not ketosis related).

If you're pre-ketosis, you'll likely be low energy, tired, head-achey, fuzzy, grumpy and hungry!
I'm the other way round with my sleep...I sleep so much better in ketosis. Previously I would sleep 4 hours a night and feel like crap. Now I sleep 6 and feel way better!

Go me!!! 7lbs off this week! I think ketosis works better for me. I hope next week is good too LOL (As usual my tracker hasn't updated yet)

Well I seem to have lost about 10lbs so far! I am sooo chuffed. Especially as I haven't stuck religiously to three meal replacements a day - I have been eating healthy meals in the evenings and am still managing 1lb a day - apart from over the weekend when a couple of G & T's are probably to blame. @Blubell - 7lbs in a week - that is great. @Ketoveggie - when will you be checking the weight loss? Are you saving it up to get a great surprise? @castingnasturtiums what does TOTM regularising mean please?

Sleep would be wonderful - I honestly can't remember when I had my last good night's sleep - although I do appear to be sleeping slightly better than the 3 or 4 hours I was getting. Maybe some of that is the Ketosis or maybe some of it is the distinct lack of wine.... mmmmm wine.....

Ah lovely wine, I remember that, poshnicks.
My sleep has not been too bad tbh, which is surprising because I feel as though I've hardly moved my body at all this week, as it turns out I must need the sleep.
I actually took a sneaky peak at the scales this morning and was wavering between 12st /11.13 my eyes nearly popped out!! It feels too good to be true so I shall do it again Sunday morning and update then.

Edit: sorry, forgot to say, really well done on your 10lb loss. That's a brilliant start. You will hit a stone in no time. :)

Last edited:
Well I seem to have lost about 10lbs so far! I am sooo chuffed. Especially as I haven't stuck religiously to three meal replacements a day - I have been eating healthy meals in the evenings and am still managing 1lb a day - apart from over the weekend when a couple of G & T's are probably to blame. @Blubell - 7lbs in a week - that is great. @Ketoveggie - when will you be checking the weight loss? Are you saving it up to get a great surprise? @castingnasturtiums what does TOTM regularising mean please?

Sleep would be wonderful - I honestly can't remember when I had my last good night's sleep - although I do appear to be sleeping slightly better than the 3 or 4 hours I was getting. Maybe some of that is the Ketosis or maybe some of it is the distinct lack of wine.... mmmmm wine.....
LOL I actually meant to post this in my diary so I do apologise. I was rushing this morning as usual LOL. Well done on 10lbs!

Ketoveggie - that's 8lbs in 6 days... That's amazing! Well done. I seem to have stalled.... not lost any more than the already lost 10lbs. Don't get me wrong - very happy with that - but want to at least get rid of 1 stone! I am 2 replacements and a meal in the evenings, but am being really strict with what I eat and am in constant Keto, so am not sure what is going on.... :(

Ketoveggie - that's 8lbs in 6 days... That's amazing! Well done. I seem to have stalled.... not lost any more than the already lost 10lbs. Don't get me wrong - very happy with that - but want to at least get rid of 1 stone! I am 2 replacements and a meal in the evenings, but am being really strict with what I eat and am in constant Keto, so am not sure what is going on.... :(

Thanks! :D
I feel your pain. It's frustrating to (seemingly) stall. I cant see how you can fail to lose weight if you just keep doing what your doing. Maybe it's hormonal, or bowl issues or not enough water? I bet you have a big loss next weigh in. Fingers crossed. Sian x

Last edited:
Google the whoosh effect, it explains in much better detail than I can why we plateau. Its motivating and helping me to stay on track even when the lbs aren't showing on the scales as much as I would like them to!

Loz x

Google the whoosh effect, it explains in much better detail than I can why we plateau. Its motivating and helping me to stay on track even when the lbs aren't showing on the scales as much as I would like them to!

Loz x

Wow! Thanks for that tip, loz. :)
I'd never heard of the 'whoosh effect'. Just read up on it. Really good to know. I'll remember that on a bad week and it shall keep me motivated.
Sian x

Loz, thank you for the info. I'd not heard of the whoosh effect either but now know that all may be well. Perhaps I should eat a cheat meal as one web-site suggests.... oooooh what will I have??? Can you say a huge bar of galaxy is a meal do you think??? :eek:

Back