Ketosis - What exactly is it?

Discussion in 'Lipotrim TFR 100%' started by BrianSecretAgent, 14 June 2010 Social URL.

Post New ThreadFind New
  1. BrianSecretAgent

BrianSecretAgent Full Member

Start Weight:
    24st13lb
    Current Weight:
    23st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(6.02%)
    Diet:
    Atkins!
    Hi there,

The only other time I had heard of Ketosis is in conjunction with my diabetes! And it was apparently a bad place for a diabetic to be... I am now in day 4 and I presume I am in Ketosis.

I've read about smell and taste - and I imagine I'll be tested by the pharmicist on Friday, but what would I notice about my self, and what exactly is Ketosis?

It was my GP who suggested LT - although my diabetic consultant doesn't know... yet. My sugars are high but stable and I have had NO insulin since I started... I am checking it - and will take insulin obviously if it remains too high for too long.

Anyway - Day 4 - going steady - weighed on Friday! - Still 100%. :D

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Taylor

Taylor Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st4lb
    Current Weight:
    8st11lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(28.49%)
    Diet:
    Lipotrim
    Hi Brian. I asked the same question on a number of occasions because I simply couldn't get my head around what exactly 'being in Ketosis' actually meant. I guess it means you get to a certain day, could be day 4, could be day 5,6 or even 7 when you wake up and you've got a furry tongue and a terrible metal like taste in your mouth....why?.....I don't know. But this is when you've passed that hunger pan stage and you don't require to 'eat'.
    I hope this helps but if there is anyone else out there that can elaborate on this then please do so. Good luck.

4. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(6.75%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Source: What is the Difference Between Ketosis and Ketoacidosis?

Source: Cambridge Weight Plan: Consumer FAQs: Medical Queries: I have diabetes and my condition is controlled by diet. Must I see a doctor before going on the Diet?

The advice for doing Cambridge Diet Sole Source is the exactly same as for Lipotrim TFR.

5. exiguous

exiguous Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st4lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.65%)
    Diet:
    DAMYHealth
    "When glycogen stores are not available in the cells, fat is cleaved to give 3 fatty acid chains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process called lipolysis. Most of the body is able to utilize fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process called beta-oxidation. One of the products of beta-oxidation is acetyl-CoA, which can be further used in the Krebs cycle. During prolonged fasting or starvation, acetyl-CoA in the liver is used to produce ketone bodies instead, leading to a state of ketosis.
    During starvation or a long physical training session, the body starts utilizing fatty acids instead of glucose. The brain cannot use fatty acids for energy because the fatty acids cannot cross the blood-brain barrier. However, the ketone bodies produced in the liver can cross the blood-brain barrier. In the brain, these ketone bodies are then incorporated into acetyl-CoA and used in the Krebs cycle.
    Excess ketone bodies will slowly decarboxylate into acetone. Acetone is excreted in the breath and urine."

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.