Ketosis - Worth the risk?

I cant say one way or another........ whether people actually go to their GP or not before they go on a diet and anyway this was supposed to be a friendly discussion about a state I thought was interesting, as it has so much negativity on the net and in books........... my intention was for discussion........ clearly this isnt happening. So I withdraw my thread. Have a good night.

I thought this was a friendly discussion - I was merely asking how you reached the conclusion that people were blindly following others.

And in order to follow a VLCD, most people have to go to their Dr to get a medical form signed.

We all have choices in life ... to eat, overeat, etc ... The same is true of our chosen weight loss method. If you come onto Minimins, which is fundamentally a weight loss support forum saying things like ... is ketosis "safe"???, that people died in the 70/80's on diets, then you must expect people to be up-in-arms.

I guess the clue is in the title - this is for discussion about the weight loss methods that don't have specific sections elsewhere on the forum. What you seem to be looking for is somewhere to debate weight loss methods, pros and cons, etc.

... as found by JFC (nice one babes ;) )

Ketosis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Ketosis (IPA pronunciation: [ki'tosɪs]) is a stage in metabolism occurring when the liver has been depleted of stored glycogen and switches to a chronic fasting mode during long periods of starvation.
During the chronic stage of starvation (after glycogen has run out), fat (triglycerol) is cleaved to give 3 fatty acid chains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process called lipolysis. Most of the body is able to utilize fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process where fatty acid chains are cleaved to form acetyl-CoA, which can then be fed into the Krebs Cycle. During this process a high concentration of glucagon is present in the serum and this inactivates glucose kinase switching the primary energy source of most cells from using glucose to fatty acids. At the same time, new glucose is synthesized in the liver from lactic acid, glucogenic amino acids, and glycerol, in a process called gluconeogenesis. This glucose is used exclusively by cells such as neurons and red blood cells.
Ketone bodies, from the breakdown of fatty acids to acetyl groups, are also produced during this fasting state, and are burned throughout the body. During the initial stages of starvation the brain does not burn ketones, since they are an important substrate for lipid synthesis in the brain. But after several days of starvation, the brain transitions to burning ketones in order to more directly utilize the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus slowing the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.
The brain retains a residual need for glucose, because ketones can only provide energy when used during aerobic respiration in mitochondria. In the long thin neurons, much of the metabolically active cellular membrane must derive its energy from glucose via anaerobic respiration without the assistance of mitochondria.
Ketosis, which is a physiological condition in response to chronic starvation, should not be confused with ketoacidosis, which is severe ketosis causing the pH of the blood to drop below 7.2. Ketoacidosis is a medical condition usually caused by diabetes and accompanied by dehydration, hyperglycemia, ketonuria and increased levels of glucagon. The high glucagon, low insulin serum levels signals the body to produce more glucose via gluconeogenesis, glycolysis and ketogenesis. High levels of glucose causes the failure of tubular reabsorption in the kidneys, causing water to leak into the tubules in a process called osmotic diuresis, causing dehydration and further exacerbating the acidosis.
The breath of people in a ketagenic state commonly contains acetone, detectable as a sweet smell that may be mistaken for ethyl alcohol.
Deliberately induced ketosis through a low-carbohydrate diet has been used to treat medical conditions. The ketogenic diet is an approach to treating epilepsy, and the Atkins Nutritional Approach is marketed for treating obesity. The Lighter Life diet is recommended as a safer more controllable means of reaching ketosis for the purpose of fat burning within a professionally controlled environment.

This was on another thread that i think you started DQ. Sums up ketosis as well.

FYI, I have not started a discussion on Ketosis anywhere else that i am aware of?

This was on another thread that i think you started DQ. Sums up ketosis as well.

FYI, I have not started a discussion on Ketosis anywhere else that i am aware of?

Someone asked for a definition of ketosis - I posted it. Not sure what you're implying?? :confused:

Seems to me Cherry that you feel that anyone following something different to what's working for you is being led by the diet industry, etc and is a bit simple.

Perhaps that might explain some of the reactions you have received about your threads. Minimins is about respecting people's choices - they choose their diet plan, we try to support them. Slating other people's diet plans, even obliquely, is going to go down like a lead balloon.

I still don't understand Cherry if you are not doing a diet that involves ketosis WHY you are so het up about it????

Why not leave it to those of us who are to speak to our GP's, research the internet and make up our OWN minds????

Someone asked for a definition of ketosis - I posted it. Not sure what you're implying?? :confused:

Seems to me Cherry that you feel that anyone following something different to what's working for you is being led by the diet industry, etc and is a bit simple.

Perhaps that might explain some of the reactions you have received about your threads. Minimins is about respecting people's choices - they choose their diet plan, we try to support them. Slating other people's diet plans, even obliquely, is going to go down like a lead balloon.

Excuse me I have said nothing of the sort. I was trying to get the discussion back to Ketosis and quoted you on a post I thought was a good post! I havent slated anyones diet plan. Seems funny tho that the only people that seem to be chastising me are the forum administrators and counscellors who arent even on diets............now that I find very interesting! :)

I still don't understand Cherry if you are not doing a diet that involves ketosis WHY you are so het up about it????

Why not leave it to those of us who are to speak to our GP's, research the internet and make up our OWN minds????

For you, your wish is my commend. I will not post further on this subject. Good luck with your diet.

Excuse me I have said nothing of the sort.

Actually you have. I had a look at a different thread of yours - since you seemed interested in using other threads as an example - and found your comments about not understanding why people needed to be told what to do by the diet industry.

I havent slated anyones diet plan. Seems funny tho that the only people that seem to be chastising me are the forum administrators and counscellors who arent even on diets............now that I find very interesting! :)

Interesting assumption again that the people responding aren't on diets. :confused:

And that when someone disagrees with/questions you they are chastising you, but when you question a choice made by a large majority of the people on this forum - to follow a VLCD that uses ketosis, it's not chastisement - just "discussion". Interesting.

the only people that seem to be chastising me are the forum administrators and counscellors who arent even on diets............now that I find very interesting! :)

Now that has confused me:confused: Does that mean that you don't consider I should enter this discussion because

A) I'm at goal and maintaining

OR

B) Because as a CDC I have done the research about ketosis?

Excuse me I have said nothing of the sort. I was trying to get the discussion back to Ketosis and quoted you on a post I thought was a good post! I havent slated anyones diet plan. Seems funny tho that the only people that seem to be chastising me are the forum administrators and counscellors who arent even on diets............now that I find very interesting! :)

Why have a discussion on ketosis when it doesn't apply to you??? It's like me going onto WW or SW and talking about points/sins or whatever but not doing the diet - so it doesn't matter to me. Or going on SWL and talking about banding etc .. again not my problem!

As a moderator, and a CDC, I fit into the first 2 criteria ... but I'm also a cambridge dieter myself - don't really see what your point was there - or why it was interesting??? :confused:

Are you all CDC that have replied on here........ DQ are you a CDC too? call me cynical but of course you are defending vlcd as you make money from it....... ok so you say your helping people. Ok if you are so into helping people why not give the packs to people who you are helping at cost price, making no profit for yourself? Are you worried that this may put people off joining a VLCD such as cambridge or LT or LL, if so I doubt it......... people want a quick weightloss with no hunger or real side effects which these and Atkins promise. Actually I think ive sold it to myself..... where do I sign up!

How dare you.

Yes it is a business .... but I am not selling people stuff they don't want or which will endager them. This has gone from a discussion to outright abuse as far as I'm concerned - and I'm leaving before i say something I'd regret later ....

Are you all CDC that have replied on here........ DQ are you a CDC too? call me cynical

Hiya Cynical :D
but of course you are defending vlcd as you make money from it.......

I've had a few discussions like this in the past...long before I decided to be a CDC

Ok if you are so into helping people why not give the packs to people who you are helping at cost price, making no profit for yourself?

Ummm. Does your gym instructor work for nothing? Does your doctor work for nothing? Do you work for nothing???
Are you worried that this may put people off joining a VLCD such as cambridge or LT or LL,

Nope, because the majority of people who want to do the diet do their own research and check it out with their doctors and pharmacists.
Actually I think ive sold it to myself..... where do I sign up!

Go to a pharmacist that deals with Lipotrim, and ask for the pharmacist who deals with this. You could also enquire at local doctors surgeries where some VLCD consultations are held.

Or you can go to the Cambridge site.

Why though?? I thought you weren't having any problems with your own way of eating? Why do you want to change?

Nobody on CD died from going into stages of ketosis did they?
Then in that case, I'll continue to lose weight by a diet that has been certfied safe for over 20 years. The diet is tough but it works.

at the risk of getting involved in something that should probably just die a death I didn't see anything malicious in the original post - it was merely another view point on ketosis that everyone is entitled to.

I'm on a diet that involves ketosis and yes I did my home work but that doesn't mean i'm not interested in peoples points of view both pro and con - it only helps to expand my knowledge - that's one of the reasons I like this forum.

It's unfortunate that it's expanded into a bit of a scrape and got personal as the original discussion both pro and con was very interesting

Back