Ketosis

PennyJane

Just as I was starting to feel comfortable putting my body through this stage in order to lose weight. Yesterday I bought more Ketostix.

I was just reading the instructions when it said that they are to be used to check for indications for Ketosis. But when I read the below, I panicked: When you have too many ketones in your bosy it can be dangerous. If you burn too much fat and produce a lot of ketones, you may develop a complication called Diabetic Ketoacidosis. This can lead to a diabetic coma"

- any thoughts? Any one????

I've heard this before, I think it's one of those "Caution! this may be hot notices" you see on a gas fire.

mm, that may have been a bit flippant. Sorry. I suppose there is a minute possibility of this, but I haven't heard on anyone on Atkins getting it, and given the bad press that Atkins has always seemed to have had I'm sure the press would have jumped on a story if someone had Penny.

Hi guys

Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two different things. First one is a normal response to fasting, and you can only get the second one if you're diabetic (or alcoholic) and can't produce enough insulin (and it usually only happens in Type I diabetics - those who get it in their youth and have to inject insulin).

You can't ever get ketoacidosis from Atkins-style fat burning or fasting, only safe ketosis and stinky breath. :)

Can this meanie ask, how essential are Ketostix? I haven't bought any yet.. This is my seventh day & I've lost 3lbs.

Tried it once, all I got was wet fingers and a telling off. ;)

Oh Lol! Thank you both,
e141e6d18be51a13e83111d45d023006.gif
you have saved me a fiver!!

I had never ever heard of them until this website and CD. I bought some the other day and I'm hoping that they will be an extra encouragement. Especially around the stalling time (week 3) to keep me on track.

Also curious to know when i have a glass of wine or some carbs (much later) how soon it takes to get back into ketosis! Peed this afternoon afterwork and it's official I'm in Ketosis!! No energy yet thought as I am exhausted through work. Speaking of that back to reports.....

Bren
X

i've come to the conclusion that the idea of this diet is to get into ketosis asap and then try to stay there until you want to stop loosing weight. am i right? are ketostix readily avaliable as i can't seem to get them anywhere?

Got mine off e-bay cheaper than Boots.

Well first time I Atkins I got into ketosis quite easily.

This time I used some old sticks I had and no change not even slightly pink. So I went out and bought a new pack and they are the same, no change whatsoever and yet I've still lost 4lb.

Well after me deciding to save my money, I fell to temptation (whats new!!) and curiosity & bought some. I'm in the second lot of pink but not purple as Dr A suggested but losing ounces rather than pounds. I shall stick with though - at least it's off & not on.

i've come to the conclusion that the idea of this diet is to get into ketosis asap and then try to stay there until you want to stop loosing weight. am i right? are ketostix readily avaliable as i can't seem to get them anywhere?

A friend got mine from either Asda or Tesco, I cant remember which she said. We have only Morrison, Lidl & M&S Food in this town.

Edit/ Sorry see now you'd got some..
ab0782495fe9a81e7b76ae75d49ae7bf.gif

Last edited:
Well I have gone from deep pink to pale pink, not good but I fell to another temptation yesterday & bought & ate an Atkins bar for lunch!! I find I don't even like them so I sabotaged my diet for nothing.. All because I was in a mood yesterday .. Lesson Learned!!

But atkins bars are allowed on the diet so that shouldn't effect Ketosis. Hope you're in a better mood today, wrinkly x

I was on my 14th day of induction, so I'm not sure if I could have it.. Back on the straight & narrow today. :eatdrink051:
Yes I am in a better mood thanks, sorry to be such a ****! :)

Depends on the bar Wrinkly, as many are allowed on All Phases. Just read the labell.

I was just wondering how long it should take to get into Ketosis and could someone remind me of the symptoms. Headache's??? Before the happy moods and bursts of energy is it. I have a headache now.

X

I believe entering ketosis can cause headaches, Bren, yes. I also often get them if I'm dehydrated and (ironically) if I drink too much water as well. (Although this morning I have one because of TEH EVIL BOOZE...)

Back