Ketostix hassle

Discussion in 'Very Low Calorie Diets' started by Russiandoll, 8 February 2007 Social URL.

1. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan - Step 1
    You would think I was trying to get some illicit class A drug yesterday ....

I only wanted a tub of ketostix and normally it isn't a problem (except for Boots who are well known for their ar*e attitude to VLCDs). Anyway, chemist number one didn't have any.
    I tried Boots - they didn't have any either and the girl then asked what I'd wanted them for. I said 'I'm diabetic - if it's any of your business' (which I am) and she replied, 'Oh that's alright - it's our policy not to sell them to be used on 'one of those diets'. :eek: I said that was ludicrous - do they refuse to sell laxatives to someone very thin in case they're anorexic and using the tablets to purge themselves? Do they refuse to sell someone with a hangover paracetamol because it condones excessive drinking?

Chemist number three had none - and I was asked the same question. By now I'm more than mildly aggravated.

Chemist number four ... I asked for ketostix and the woman said 'Can I ask ...' I leapt in "IF YOU ASK ME WHAT I WANT THEM FOR I THINK I'LL EXPLODE!!"

I felt sorry for her ... she had no idea I'd been to three other chemists already but ended up on the receiving end of my annoyance. I explained to her that I'd been asked that question three times already and that I'm a diabetic but that it should be irrelevent as they're sticks to pee on - not heroin shots! Anyway - they had none.

Chemist number five sold me their last box - no questions asked (luckily for them!!)

I asked them why there seemed such a shortage and they said that ketostix are not commonly prescribed now so chemists seem to be selling off stock as there's no 'demand' anymore.

I think I'll order mine from the net from now on ... can't be doing with this hassle every time I want some DRUG FREE sticks to wee on! :mad:

Mini likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. MadamDotty

MadamDotty Back again!

Diet:
    The Harcombe Diet
    Blimey, what a performance just to get some ketostix.

Does you CDC sell them as we can stock them. I have them for my clients and I think they're about the same price as in Boots etc. At least you won't get any hassle that way :)

4. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    I've never had any problem gettting them - in fact bought some yesterday - only to realise I'd could have got them cheaper from Cambridge.

Strange though isn't it??? Wonder why Boots has that attitude???

5. VirgoGirl

VirgoGirl Full Member

I had to try six branches of Boots before I got some. The other five told me they'd sold out (although I saw the assistant clutching a suspiciously similar-looking box!).

Howver, none of them asked me what I wanted them for. They'll get short shrift if they do, none of their blinking business.

6. pandora

pandora finding my way again !

Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    i had no probs getting mine from Boots, no questions etc.
    how rediculous (sp) to give such attitude to some just trying to look after themselves eh WTF:eek:
    xx:)

7. Karen1972

Karen1972 Gold Member

Thanks Suzann, i just ordered some!! I can never get hold of them here!! How long do they take to arrive?

8. Karen

Karen Serial Foodie!

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(6.96%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    ive only bought ketostix once (running low now so thanks for the link!) and when i went in they eyed me suspiciously and asked if they were for me. i felt like a deer in the headlights and just said no! i was well confused and unsure if they would hand them over!

its ridiculous they should decide who can or cannot buy them! as u say RD, its not a drug product and they have no right to judge who can have them! my hubby buys my feminine hygene stuff when he does the shopping and i cant imagine them refusing to serve him on account of him being wombless.

ruddy cheek!!!

Mini likes this.
  9. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(8.33%)
    PMSL:D

10. Lou_Lou

Lou_Lou Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st7lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.7%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Sole Source
    I had the same problem in Boots. The lady asked if I knew how to use them LOL

11. Karen

Karen Serial Foodie!

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(6.96%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    lol...u should have asked her to demonstrate for u :eek:

12. Gen

Gen Normal

PMSL :D :D :D oh my god a real belly laugh i'm not joking!!!! thats so funny and probably more so the ridiculousness of them not selling them to everyone who bloody WANTS them!!!!

13. Mike 24

Mike 24 Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Hey

Just a quick recommendation

I use Tescos Pharmacy. I've bought them from 3 different branches and there were no questions and they weren't funny or anything :)

14. Karen

Karen Serial Foodie!

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(6.96%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    thanks mike xx

15. cah-ching

cah-ching Gold Member

Same with Asda

16. artemis

artemis Lil' Miss Naughty

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I always get hassle!
    I ask if they have them and they ask why I need them. How the hell does why I need them affect whether or not they have them?

I especially hate when they say about the diet, infront of other people in the queue!

17. cah-ching

cah-ching Gold Member

Well since it's just a counter assistant serving, ask her/him for their medical credentials!

I swear the only time this happened to me was in Boots once, 2 years ago when I was following Atkins. I haven't had hassle since ... I do have a mean face that says "don't mess!". Try Asda or an Lloyds or Sainsbury's etc. It's not as though they are a narcotic! If only they took as much care about selling paracetemol or other drugs!

18. artemis

artemis Lil' Miss Naughty

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Next time someone askes me what they are for I am going to say "to pee on"

19. cah-ching

cah-ching Gold Member

Then follow that with ... "would you like me to demonstrate?"

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.