Keyhole spay?

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by missRV, 17 January 2013.

1. missRV

missRV Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this or got any experience of it? I have a 4 month old King Charles Spaniel x bichon and would probably prefer keyhole if it's less pain and less recovery time for her... wondering what the pros and cons are?
  2. Smurfette

Smurfette Well-Known Member

Aw too cute I have a black and tan cav-k-Charles called roxxi - she's 5 now but she was spayed normal op and it didn't knock whit out of her!! She was runt of littler and was tiny too but no bother to her - mind u she's a muppet now lol! ;)
  3. BindiRott

BindiRott Well-Known Member

Hi missRV,
    The pro's are as you've suggested; shorter recovery time, an overall smaller incision with no skin sutures, usually only the ovaries are removed (ovariectomy). The cons are mainly the cost - when I looked into it 6 months ago I was quoted £120 more than a 'normal' spay, but you may also need to check if your vet offer the keyhole option - my vet don't and so referred my dog to a referral vet hospital an hours drive away. In the end I decided against the keyhole spay as my dog has had a number of irregular seasons (suggesting something isn't right) and really needs her ovaries and uterus removed (ovariohysterectomy). Hope this helps.
  4. missRV

missRV Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the replies, I am sorry I've not been online in ages.
    I think we're going with a normal spay... our vet doesn't offer keyhole so it would mean a different vet who we're not comfortable with :(

Thanks again :)
  5. chunkymiss

chunkymiss Well-Known Member

Not many vets do offer key hole as not many of us want the risks, wounds heal from
    Side to side, not too to bottom so I'd rather see what I was doing! Hope poochey is ok! Xx
  6. missRV

missRV Well-Known Member

Hey thanks :)
    Our vet is lovely, he gave us a free consultation for us to ask all the questions.... she had the op 2 weeks ago and shes back to her old crazy self :)