Keyhole spay?

missRV

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this or got any experience of it? I have a 4 month old King Charles Spaniel x bichon and would probably prefer keyhole if it's less pain and less recovery time for her... wondering what the pros and cons are?

Aw too cute I have a black and tan cav-k-Charles called roxxi - she's 5 now but she was spayed normal op and it didn't knock whit out of her!! She was runt of littler and was tiny too but no bother to her - mind u she's a muppet now lol! ;)

Hi missRV,
The pro's are as you've suggested; shorter recovery time, an overall smaller incision with no skin sutures, usually only the ovaries are removed (ovariectomy). The cons are mainly the cost - when I looked into it 6 months ago I was quoted £120 more than a 'normal' spay, but you may also need to check if your vet offer the keyhole option - my vet don't and so referred my dog to a referral vet hospital an hours drive away. In the end I decided against the keyhole spay as my dog has had a number of irregular seasons (suggesting something isn't right) and really needs her ovaries and uterus removed (ovariohysterectomy). Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the replies, I am sorry I've not been online in ages.
I think we're going with a normal spay... our vet doesn't offer keyhole so it would mean a different vet who we're not comfortable with :(

Thanks again :)

Not many vets do offer key hole as not many of us want the risks, wounds heal from
Side to side, not too to bottom so I'd rather see what I was doing! Hope poochey is ok! Xx

Hey thanks :)
Our vet is lovely, he gave us a free consultation for us to ask all the questions.... she had the op 2 weeks ago and shes back to her old crazy self :)

Back