Keyhole spay?

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by missRV, 17 January 2013 Social URL.

1. missRV

missRV Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st3lb
    Lost(%):
    3st0lb(15.91%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World and Gym
    Just wondering if anyone has heard of this or got any experience of it? I have a 4 month old King Charles Spaniel x bichon and would probably prefer keyhole if it's less pain and less recovery time for her... wondering what the pros and cons are?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. Smurfette

Smurfette Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st1.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.57%)
    Aw too cute I have a black and tan cav-k-Charles called roxxi - she's 5 now but she was spayed normal op and it didn't knock whit out of her!! She was runt of littler and was tiny too but no bother to her - mind u she's a muppet now lol! ;)

4. BindiRott

BindiRott Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    15st12.7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st11.3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.2lb(9.8%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi missRV,
    The pro's are as you've suggested; shorter recovery time, an overall smaller incision with no skin sutures, usually only the ovaries are removed (ovariectomy). The cons are mainly the cost - when I looked into it 6 months ago I was quoted £120 more than a 'normal' spay, but you may also need to check if your vet offer the keyhole option - my vet don't and so referred my dog to a referral vet hospital an hours drive away. In the end I decided against the keyhole spay as my dog has had a number of irregular seasons (suggesting something isn't right) and really needs her ovaries and uterus removed (ovariohysterectomy). Hope this helps.

5. missRV

missRV Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st3lb
    Lost(%):
    3st0lb(15.91%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World and Gym
    Thank you so much for the replies, I am sorry I've not been online in ages.
    I think we're going with a normal spay... our vet doesn't offer keyhole so it would mean a different vet who we're not comfortable with :(

Thanks again :)

6. chunkymiss

chunkymiss Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9.5lb(4.44%)
    Not many vets do offer key hole as not many of us want the risks, wounds heal from
    Side to side, not too to bottom so I'd rather see what I was doing! Hope poochey is ok! Xx

7. missRV

missRV Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st3lb
    Lost(%):
    3st0lb(15.91%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World and Gym
    Hey thanks :)
    Our vet is lovely, he gave us a free consultation for us to ask all the questions.... she had the op 2 weeks ago and shes back to her old crazy self :)