KFC Chicken done the SW way

This sounds awesome!! The other night I did chinese chicken as well by dipping cut up chicken breast in some beaten egg and popping it into a really hot pan with frylight...it was awesome! Almost as good as crispy chicken from the takeaway :) Serve with SW egg fried rice and sweet and sour sauce!! Woohooo!

Anyone else got some good takeaway style recipes? :)
I'm a student and I think my housemates dread the days when I cook for them - I'm not sure how much more quorn they can take!

I've just put this in the oven - I toasted 2 slices of Warburtons to make the bread crumbs and added the mixed spice etc but found the mixed spice flavour more like something I would use in a cake so added sea salt and some paprika until it was more spicy.

I spread the raw chicken with Bovril and then dipped in the egg and then the breadcrumbs - will report back - it smells lovely!

gonnabesmall - it was lovely and as you say it a real treat!

newbie09 - not sure if there's anything else you could use really - but if you make the breadcrumbs tasty enough maybe you could leave the bovril out?

wow I have just discovered this site tonight after someone mentioned it in group and the first thread I see is for KFC chicken, i almost want to go to asda and get the ingredients and make it right now(dont think the missus would be too chuffed, she is up at 5 in the morning) got I soooo miss KFC, since sept '09 when I started SW i have not been back there once, will be trying this recipe in the near future.

i dont have a food blender, just a hand blender? do u recon itd work if i lightly toasted and then hand blended or am i wishful thinking?

It is worth a go! Try and break the bread up (after toasting it) and blitzing it in a long tall container, so that it is in a more concentrated mass...

I made this the other night, it was delicious! One tip would be that I tried to get as much of the gloopy chicken bovril on to my chicken before dipping in the breadcrumbs, I wouldn't do this again as the bovril taste was quite overpowering and left a dodgy aftertaste. Next time I will dip and let drip!

I made this the other night, it was delicious! One tip would be that I tried to get as much of the gloopy chicken bovril on to my chicken before dipping in the breadcrumbs, I wouldn't do this again as the bovril taste was quite overpowering and left a dodgy aftertaste. Next time I will dip and let drip!

I did the same thing. I didn't like it, but I'm sure without so much bovril it would suit me just fine....

Also, Fern Xx - I never used "real" breaded crumbs. I have found Dr Oetkers Wholemeal Breadcrumbs. Now, I could'nt find the syn value on the SW website, but I figured your 57g bread allowance for 1HEB. Paxo Golden Breadcrumbs is 5 syns, per 28g x 2 = 56g which is 10 syns. But I gauged (probably incorrectly) that seeing as Dr Oetker was Wholemeal breadcrumbs and not as bad as Paxo, I could half the syn value and then use my HEB allowance. So for me, 6 portions, was around 5 syns. I am probably way out, but I justified it by not having any other syns during the day and no HEBs. Anyhow, the way I see it is its 100% better than having proper KFC. It is delicious, but not a "once a week" dish as its fiddly, so every now and then its fine. Let me know how you get on.

i dont have a food blender, just a hand blender? do u recon itd work if i lightly toasted and then hand blended or am i wishful thinking?

I made breadcrumbs in my hand blender last week and it worked a treat i didn't toast first.

whilst a bit messy, you can make breadcrumbs using either dried out bread, or toasted bread and a coarse cheese grater.

I made mine by toasting 2 slices of Warburtons and then crushing them with a rolling pin in a freezer bag - it was really easy!

Back