Kick Ass Chilli

Discussion in 'Weight Watchers - Discover Plan Recipes' started by PickyNic, 18 March 2010 Social URL.

1. PickyNic

PickyNic Skinny on the inside

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Weight Watchers

This is the recipe for my chilli con carne. I always make a HUGE pot and either eat it for 3 days running or freeze a few portions. If you want to make a smaller pot of this just cut back the ingredients. I add spices and Tabasco by instinct so I’ve struggled to put quantities down. Just add gradually until you like the flavour and colour.
    The Tabasco gives a nice smokey flavour and the lime brings out the tomato but either are optional.
    Finally – I make mine HOT – with about 12 finely chopped chillies – so definitely use less if you like it milder!

This is truly delicious and everyone I know who tries it raves about it. I now have to give out a few portions to pals every time I make a batch!

Serves 8

6 points per serving

1250g Lean steak mince = 45 points
    400g kidney beans = 5.5 points

2 green peppers
    1 yellow pepper
    1 orange pepper
    1 red pepper
    1.5 onions - finely chopped
    6 fresh green chillies – de-seed and chop finely
    6 fresh red chillies - de-seed and chop finely
    25g fresh coriander
    4 cloves garlic (I use lazy garlic)
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    1 tube tomato puree
    3/4 bottle Tabasco sauce
    400g passata
    juice of 1 lime
    beef stock cube

hot chilli powder
    cayenne pepper

I’m not sure how much I use of the spices as I do it by taste. At least 5 tablespoons of chilli and paprika & slightly less cayenne for this size of pot. the paprika gives it a rich colour and flavour.
    Also depends how hot you like it!

• Heat a large pot with one spray of oil
    • Finely chop onion and garlic and add to pan to brown
    • Add chopped peppers and chillies to pot and cover
    • Stir regularly until softened
    • Remove softened onion, chillies and peppers and wrap in tin foil for later
    • Add mince to pot and brown, stirring continually and draining all liquid and fat as you do so.
    • Add tinned tomatoes, passata and puree to mince and stir well
    • Put the peppers, onions and chillies back in the pot and stir
    • Add kidney beans
    • Allow sauce to start bubbling and ensure everything is well mixed.
    • Add stock cube directly to pot & stir
    • Finely chop coriander leaves and stir through
    • BY TASTE add paprika, chilli powder, cayenne pepper and Tabasco sauce and lime juice
    Allow to simmer for 20/30 minutes
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.