Kind of depressing, but important.

Hi KD

This is really interesting stuff. What I am wondering is, will our bodies react like this forever? Will they ever accept that we won't be getting fat again, and stop trying? Or is this really going to be a fight forever and ever????

Hope you get what I mean

Nicola xxx

Hi KD

This is really interesting stuff. What I am wondering is, will our bodies react like this forever? Will they ever accept that we won't be getting fat again, and stop trying? Or is this really going to be a fight forever and ever????

Hope you get what I mean

Nicola xxx

Yeah, get what you mean :)

They don't know though. Some will say it does get better, others will say it never does.

But, if you can keep it off for 5 years, you have got a really good chance of keeping it off forever. There's a possibility that the leptin levels have reduced by then, but most think (and I agree), that it's mainly to do with the fact that if you can maintain for 5 years, you have really got to grips with the change of lifestyle bit. Change of habits, worked out what foods work for you, learned how to defeat the demons etc.

After all, whatever is happening biologically, we still have choices :)

Maintaining at or near Goal Weight for 4 years

Thank you so much for the Link. I enjoyed reading that Thread a great deal..

I am excited to find this Maintenance Forum.
I am a “Reduced Obese” person, and for the past 4 years I have been working to maintain a large weight-loss.My signature contains a graphic that shows my Weight Maintenance Plan.

17 years ago I was at my all-time high of 271 lbs when I had open RNY gastric bypass surgery, with no shortening of the intestines which means no malabsorption..i.e. all of my food intake continues to be digested...and every calorie counts. Within a year of that surgery, I lost down to 160 lbs, and maintained in the 160s for several years, but then the weight began creeping up and up. When I weighed in the 190 lb range, I realized that if I continued to eat as much as my body allowed, I would return to my high weight again and perhaps beyound. This is when I began to seriously diet again.

I found a computer software journeling program in which I began logging all my food intake every day. This program also gave me the calorie counts of the food. Over about a 16 month period of averaging about 1250 calories a day, I lost an average of about 1 lb per week to reach my ultimate goal of 115 lbs. Since that time I've been working extremely hard to maintain in an area around my goal weight. I'm sure I'll be posting more about that in other places here on this Forum.

I've just read that post for a second time and with a completely different perspective. The first time I read it I wasn't even halfway through my weightloss journey, I decided to pretty much ignor it because I had vowed that I would never get fat again. Needless to say I got to target, stayed there for a good long while, then bad habits crept in and weight crept on again.

This time I read it I am trying to get rid of the last 26lbs that will take me back to target. And I realised just how naive I was to think that I was somehow different to everyone else who's trying to maintain. I'm not different at all, we all struggle!!

This time I read and really thought about what the article said, and it's not necessarily all negative and doesn't condem formerly obese people to a life of permanent fatness (which is what I thought the first time). It's just a warning that we have to work a bit harder and pay a bit more attention than other people.

So as a result of this I've come up with a little plan for maintaining - I never had one last time and it shows.

Surfhunny's Perfect (for me) Maintainance Plan

1. Follow the Slimming World diet, with the aim not to lose weight but to maintain, this allows me to eat more or less normally, but still be in control of how and what I eat.

2. Start exercising again AFTER* I get to target.

*Now this might seem a little bit crazy, but hear me out.....
At the moment I am losing weight steadily by following CD SS/SS+. I find that when I exercise my losses slow down or even stop. There are various explanations for this - my explanation however is that I do too much exercise. I have always had a competetive streak and enjoy pushing myself. The energy I have when I'm in ketosis means that I push myself harder and further than I would normally. Soooo I've kind of been avoiding exercise this time round.

This is where my (twisted) logic comes in....if I do no exercise for the rest of the diet and get to target, my metabolism will inevitably be slower. BUT by introducing exercise again at target I will automatically be counter acting the increase in calories with the increase in exercise and hopefully maintaining might now seem so hard.

I also think that I had to learn the hard way by putting weight on, and struggling to get back to target again, it's made me more determined to maintain properly this time, no matter how hard it is!!

Sorry that was such a long post, but I'm not known for being concise.

I've just read that post for a second time and with a completely different perspective. The first time I read it I wasn't even halfway through my weightloss journey, I decided to pretty much ignor it because I had vowed that I would never get fat again. Needless to say I got to target, stayed there for a good long while, then bad habits crept in and weight crept on again.

You wont be the first. I find that people who are dieting generally ignore anything to do with maintenance. Most 'assume' it'll be okay. If it goes back on, they start reading more about the maintenance side, though some don't. Some prefer to just keep trying what they did before to see if they get different results.

Sort of reminds me of the autobiography post I did. I must search that out.

Mind you, even then things can go a bit crooked. When you have an intellectual understanding of it all but struggle to work it into real life. That's the tricky bit

When I was doing the diet I was frustrated at the lack of maintenance talk. Hints and tips. What people were doing etc. It seemed odd that everyone was dieting, and I assume intended to keep it off forever, rather than just a week, yet nobody was interested in how to do it...or how not to do it!

It's a silent community and maintainers will only talk about it if they happen to be dieting to maintain, and in which case they tend to just talk about the dieting side.

I swore that I would write about maintenance. How I felt, what I was learning, what was working and wasn't working. Stuck to that promise aswell, but it's hard to keep up because it's not an area of interest for most. So now most of my diaries are deleted. Still have bits around buried somewhere amongst the many words on here.

This time I read and really thought about what the article said, and it's not necessarily all negative and doesn't condem formerly obese people to a life of permanent fatness (which is what I thought the first time). It's just a warning that we have to work a bit harder and pay a bit more attention than other people.

Exactly! I posted the thread long ago. I've learnt much more about this since. There's another thread on the LL forum where I talked about leptin. It's a sticky there...bodyset something. Can't remember :D You may like to have a little 'big' read sometime.

I wont comment on your maintenance plan as it's very different from my own. Mine's right for me, and yours may well be right for you....time will tell. I hope it works for you because it's soul destroying going up and down/up and down.

Thank you KD, I've had a good look through the LL post and found the one you mentioned, plus a few others I found really helpful. I know I'm still a good way from target but I definitely think I should start thinking about how I'm going to go about maintaining now. So I can be prepared this time instead of burying my head in the sand like I did last time.

I'm actually quite relieved to find out that there's some kind of 'reset'. Whether it's a chemical thing related to leptin levels etc or psychological thing, in the fact that lifestyle must've changed in order to maintain, it's good to know that it isn't an automatic road to gaining the weight back again as soon as the diet is over. It can be controlled and I'm prepared to work at controlling it. I've worked hard to get where I am, so what's a little bit of extra work to maintain it?

I can't wait!!!!!!!

thankyou for this sticky - i know it was a long while ago, but i read the 3FC post and found it strangely comforting. if i had my time again i would tell my younger self to be more aware and not get into this situation in the first place (and to get married before the first baby came along....!) but here i am and if a life stretches out before me of mindful eating and regular exercise i'm actually relieved, becasue it could be so much worse! my dad has type 1 diabetes and has to inject insulin twice a day and be mindful of his diet, he had to adjust to the idea but it's not the end of the world.

i actually would not envy a life of mindlessly indulging, even if there were no weight gain there would certainly be manky nails, acne and digestive problems! ;)

This is one of the most valuable and informative things I've read on the site so far and I am so glad I clicked on this section of the forum. I'm a long way off target, but my thoughts are already turning to what happens once I get there ... how do I stop myself putting it all back on? I'd already realised I can never go back to my previous way of eating, but this really details the hows and whys of the problems that come with maintaining ... which is potentially even harder that losing the weight in the first place. Thank you so much for posting.

Has to be maintain over getting big again. I remember how hard it was for me to lose weight - not goin back down that road again.

That was very interesting..thanks for sharing!
What I, and many other former overweight people have found, is that doing JUDDD...sometimes known as intermittant fasting, can really boost our slower metabolisms...a real bonus as it means we can eat that little bit extra without gaining!

hugs
Jo

he key here is just to find an 'environment' that is sustainable and won't kill you? Plus the fact that a lot of diets, whilst they may work in the short time, are not okay for the body in the long term (no one can stay on Lipotrim or w/e for the rest of their life, for example).

This reminded me of an article I read very t recently that talked about this effect (the lowering of resting metabolism) in response to the Biggest Looser etc stories that broke recently.

It basically talks about doing the right type of exercise - working to gain muscle rather than just loose weight, as muscles is known to burn more calories.

http://greatist.com/live/how-to-maintain-weight-loss-after-dieting

I'm sure they don't equate exactly but if putting on 15-20% more muscle helps alleviate the constant calorie restriction then I'd be willing to do it - I'd be interested to find out if that can be achieved through swimming etc.

Back