Kind of shocked...

d14

I went on my groups FB page and one of the members posted her pitta bread pizzas claiming they are syn free because she used wholemeal pittas as her heB...and I said it has to be asda or co-op (as ive read on here) and she says any pitta can be used so long as its 60g/wholemeal...is this true?

Because if its not she is using syns and doesn't realize it....and our consultant just commented that they look great and she should talk about them in class...rather than pointing out about the pittas....

Forgot to mention but the pittas she used are just a local brand here, not asda or co-op...

If slimming world has listed only the asda and co op ones, then they have to be asda or co op ones!! There's a reason why some things arnt on the list and I agree with the above, the 60g is clearly only for bread so you are right d14 and your consultant and group mate are wrong

I must confess to being a naughty tweaker when it comes to pitta breads :D I don't eat them that often, and my local supermarkets are Sainsbury's and Morrisons, so if a pitta is wholemeal and doesn't contain any extra naughties like oil then I count 120 calories of it as a hexb and then the rest of the cals as syns. It's usually only a couple.

But as I say, I don't eat them that often, and this is just what I do rather than what SW recommend!

There's a reason why some things arnt on the list

And that reason can be just because they havent been tested. If the nutritional content is the same and the ingredients are close enough then it will be fine. These things usually tell you the percent of wholemeal flour used in their production. Most stuff in tescos and asda is listed one way or another, but much less of the changing brands that show up in lidl, aldi and smaller chains around the country.

I sent my consultant a text and she's saying 60g any unbranded wholemeal pitta as heB.....confused

On the list of HEX's on the SW website it states 1 Asda chosen by you wholemeal pitta bread, flame baked, 6 pack and 1 Co-op wholemeal pitta bread

It doesn't state 60g any pitta.

I reckon she's wrong and if you are bothered, I'd email SW.

I'm not bothered personally like it doesn't affect me because I've been counting mine as syns but apparently they talked about it in class which means loads of members in my group are probably having them as healthy extras and unknowingly eating syns!

Okay so the reason our consultant counts a 60g pitta as healthy extra is because it says 60g of wholemeal bread and pittas are considered a bread item. I've said the nutritional info would be different but I'm leaving it at that as I don't want to seem like I'm questioning everything..but I'll stick to synning my pittas, even though I'd love to have them as healthy extra.

Interesting... I've just checked my oldest old book (from 5 years ago) it used to state 57g of wholemeal bread, excluding pitta bread, now it just states 60g wholemeal bread....

She's wrong, Id email head office cos she needs to know she's wrong so she stops giving out crap advice. I was told its not just because its wholemeal, its because other pittas contain extra ingredients that the Co-Op and ASDA dont

And that reason can be just because they havent been tested. If the nutritional content is the same and the ingredients are close enough then it will be fine.

They *have* been tested if the syns are on the website anyway! If they were eligible theyd be listed. And the nutritional content isnt the same for all pitta breads and its not possible to know whether the ingredients are "close enough" when we dont know what the rules are for ingredients. From what I was told, Co-op and ASDA were OK because they contain hardly anything except the flour and yeast (ie no added fat etc), which isnt true of most other brands, but I dont know if thats the official line on things?

Personally I couldn't give a stuff and if I want one Il have it - but as a consultant she is in a position of responsibility where she should not be giving out false information.

My consultant also told us it was any 60g wholemeal pitta bread, and told us to weigh it and chop the top off it it weighed over 60g lol. But after reading this I'm glad I don't eat them so I don't have the problem with finding specific ones.

She is wrong and she needs to be corrected. If she won't accept it from you then email SW and get them to tell her. I know you don't want to sound like a know it all or like you are questioning everything but the fact is a lot of members don't have access/know how to use sites like this so rely on the information their consultant gives them and she is giving incorrect advice and people will be eating around 6 syns on top of their other syns. I know I would be extremely p*ssed off if I found out that due to my consultant's mis-information I had not been following the plan correctly.

Yep, its only coop or asda. I emailed a few weeks ago cos I had marks & spencers ones and they confirmed that only coop or asda meet requirements for HEb. The others either have additives, not enough fibre or contain oil (which was the case in the m&s ones)

Back