Knocked out of Ketosis by a carrot!!!!

minirog

Silver Member
I went to a friends house for dinner. She was awesome and made me my own CD meal. She grilled a chicken breast (which I didn't eat all of) and a 'green' salad. However, she also put carrot in it, which I ate. I really didn't think it would be that bad...

.... I am now out of Ketosis and having to start again! Rubbish! A BLOODY CARROT!!!

Arggghhhhhhhh! I'm not weighing until next Thursday so I hope I will have lost my carb/glycogen weight by then and I know if I weigh to check out the damage before then I will fall apart :(

I know it's my own fault, but seriously. A BLOODY CARROT!

pesky carrots! Try not to worry hun, I'm sure you'll find other than knocking you out of ketosis that it hasn't done much damage and you have plenty of time to rectify it before your weigh in. COuld have been worse, it could have been a mcdonalds! Just focus on the positive - you got straight back to CD, ketosis isn't forgiving but CD is and i'm sure you'll still find you have a good loss.

Try not to stress over it and just notch it up to experience :)

Thanks! I'm not too mad really, just find it amazing how the human body works!

Thanks for replying.

Chuck away the Ketosticks!!!!! if thats what you used to test if you were in ketosis.....don't understand why people use them...when Ifirst did cd i did use them for about a week, but even tho I was 100% there were times i showed a negative ketone...so they went straight in the bin:eek:
ure

Ya won't have gained
just by eating a lil carrot...but good luck for your weigh in

sorry if ya didn't use them...think they should be banned:D

I'm sure a carrot shouldn't have knocked you out of ketosis??? What a bummer. On the other hand, how sweet is your friend (assuming she didn't know about the bad carrot)? It's so lovely to have friends who are so supportive and want you to enjoy a meal with them :)

What makes you think you are out of ketosis?

And besides....so? It's a carrot. You'll survive. You'll still be burning fat.

Don't stress. All is well. Doing fab!...oh and don't use those darn stix. They are for checking ketosis (just in case you are using them!)

I have to confess I did use a Ketostix! Could this be wrong then? My CDC recommended them to me, but maybe I should through them away. To be honest I still this I have Ketosis breath a bit and haven't felt hungry or anything so maybe I'm okay!

My friend is really sweet. Was such a nice thing to do and meant I could really feel like I was part of the dinner party!

Thanks for the replies lovelies xx

I'm a bit naughty and have carrot every day with my veg bags cos i'm doing 810. It has never taken me out of ketosis and my losses are the same as when I just did SS. Ketostix are odd, i'd bin them and remember how much you'd usually have had for dinner and you know you're going to be losing weight. Carrots rock!!

I have to confess I did use a Ketostix! Could this be wrong then?

Ketostix aren't wrong, they are't designed to test for ketosis.

They are designed to test for excess ketones in the urine and are for diabetics who can produce dangerous levels of them.

I never once had a pink recording as I probably drunk enough to dilute the ketones, or my body used my ketones very efficiently and had none left to expel!.

It was lovely of your friend and though it's best to avoid carrots, it's really no big deal, especially if you feel fine :)

I know this has probably been covered a million times before then but what does it mean if you always show a really dark pink, even if you're drinking 2.5-3 litres a day?? :D xx

I know this has probably been covered a million times before then but what does it mean if you always show a really dark pink, even if you're drinking 2.5-3 litres a day?? :D xx

Nothing really. It could mean you make a lot of ketones and don't need all of them. It could mean you need a little more water.

Check your pee isn't dark. You need pale (or less). If that's okay, then all is well :)

I totally agree with KD about the Ketostix. I was quite obsessed by them at one point. I work in a hospital where we have very similar but much more accurate ways of testing ketones in urine, made by a different company. The first time I did CD I used a couple of these on the odd occassion. This time round I bought some Ketostix and found that I hardly ever got a reading on them. This panicked me a bit so I used the ones from work, and got postive results. I even used one of each at the same time....Ketostix stayed cream, the other version went pink. They aren't that reliable for the purpose that we try to use them for. They are for people like diabetics who need to monitor their ketone levels for other reasons.

Can anyone tell me then how you know if you're in ketosis. After my haribo eating disaster on Monday evening, my ketostix have stayed pale so I've been a bit worried about not having got back into ketosis. But if they're not reliable, how will I know if I'm there so I can tell if I ever come out of it?

Does that even make sense what I'm trying to ask?

Can anyone tell me then how you know if you're in ketosis. After my haribo eating disaster on Monday evening, my ketostix have stayed pale so I've been a bit worried about not having got back into ketosis. But if they're not reliable, how will I know if I'm there so I can tell if I ever come out of it?

Does that even make sense what I'm trying to ask?

Yes it makes, but I'm interested in why people want to know.

In answer to your question, the best way of finding out if you are in ketosis is by a blood test, which you probably can't do.

BUT...what difference does it make to you? We often fall out of ketosis for brief moments after a shake or whatever. Also, people often go into ketosis overnight anyway regardless of their diet.

Low carb dieters prefer to stay in ketosis for the hunger blunting effects (weight loss is based on calories..not ketosis). So do you need to know if you are hungry?

You can tell that without knowing if you are in ketosis.

Even then, there some debate over whether ketosis itself is blunting the hunger.

Though I talk to my clients about ketosis, how it works and all that, my focus is much more on how they handle any 'blips'. The habit pathways in the brain, the sugar hits that can lead people to eat more. The psychological aspect of blipping. For me that is much more important than whether they get a pink recording on a stick that will tell them if their body hasn't used all it's ketones.

Because whether in ketosis or not, if calories in are less than calories out, you are losing fat. So why do some people need to know about what pathway is being used any particular time? It's interesting yes, but that's all IMO.

Does that make sense? :D

KD - you are so fab. What a brill post! Thank you xx

Back