Lamb Shanks - skin/fat removal question

big bear

A bear on a mission!
H bought 2 lamb shanks from Tesco. Can I just cook as they are & remove the skin/fat before eating?

Thanks

big bear said:
H bought 2 lamb shanks from Tesco. Can I just cook as they are & remove the skin/fat before eating?

Thanks

My understanding is that in order for meat to be SW friendly you remove the fat before cooking otherwise you have to syn it-this is because the fat absorbs into the meat as you're cooking it

I would remove it first Hun.

However, i usually wait until the end with chicken, does this mean I should have been syncing it?! Does anyone know! x

Ela ine said:
I would remove it first Hun.

However, i usually wait until the end with chicken, does this mean I should have been syncing it?! Does anyone know! x

I was told you must take it off before cooking with chicken & other meat

I would take the skin off something like chicken thighs if adding to a recipe, because a lot of fat does come out of them, but if was just roasting it I would leave the skin on and removed it before eating. Most of the fat drains off anyway, it's not like you are cooking it into a sauce or something you are going to eat.

You surely can't be expected to skin a roast chicken before cooking it.

Hey, that's what I mean - thighs et al I would definitely remove the skin, although I don't like this too much so try to avoid those as much as I can and buy breast etc.
But if roasting I honestly thought it was okay to remove the skin after.... So thanks for that, I'll definitely have to watch!!! x

*Emsie* said:
I don't think you HAVE to remove the skin/fat on foods before cooking just before eating.

that's what our C told us. Because if you cook them the fat goes in the meat. (or something like that)

Too late I didn't remove the skin but I only had 1 & had syns left over. i always save 5 syns for things like this that I'm not sure off.

With roast (whole) chicken it's fine to remove the skin after that's my understanding, there's no way you could skin a whole chicken & it would be awfully dry when cooked X

If its the tesco lamb shanks in mint gravy they are syn free, i saw them in the SW mag this month and i plan on buying some tomorrow!!!

My C told us that fat can be removed after cooking, they only advise taking it off before cooking so that it is less tempting to eat when cooked!!!

There is a recipe in this months sw mag that involves roasting chicken thighs amongst some roasting veg but it says leave the skin on until it's cooked. Can this be right, I can't find the mag at the mo but I'm sure that's what it said...

But what I meant is that the veg is cooking in the fat that cooks out from the chicken... That's not particularly slimming world (imho).

Back