Lapland

Travel Agent here!!!

Canterbury are THE best for lapland, a close second is Transun followed by cosmos.

If you want a good deal let me know the best price you have and then email me, ill see if I can do it cheaper for you, I have been a travel agent 17 yrs and a manager for 13, I dont work for a big multiple, independance is the way forward, I am more than happy to help x

SO jealous, we cant afford i just yet, I have been asked to join a lecturing pool at my local college to teach travel and tourism on my day off each week so I will be saving up all my wages from that, next year here I come!

Vx

Hi all, I have booked to go to Lapland in December :) and would like to know if anyone has been. What do you wear whilst there? Suits and boots are provided but what do you wear underneath - do I need to buy thermals? If so where would I buy them for the kids? I need to buy hat, gloves and scarves for me and OH, kids already have them. Please help as I haven't got a clue. :eek:

Woo hoo nice one hev!

What part you going to? We are off to Luosto 23-27 December and I can't blumin wait! :D

We have been advised to take thermals and several thin layers and not forgetting balaclavas.

We are going to have a look round Milletts and Nevisport and not forgetting ebay. My OH already has his heart set on a Russian ushanka hat from there.

Oh yeah I have heard that it is cooooooolllddddddd in Finland in the winter!
My best friend is half-Finnish (which is to say that her mom is from Finland) and so they go to visit her grandparents and such often. She wasn't very impressed with the Santa Village (but that is just her....... sometimes she is a spoilsport) but..........she just loves Finland in the summer, they are known for their lovely lakes. I totally plan on visiting eventually.

Anyways, I just wanted to pop in and just mention how lovely Finland can be at other seasons too!

But bringing your kids to Santaland!?! You are great parents! (want to adopt me???)

Hi Annette, we are going to Sodankyla 20 to 23 December,can't wait :D . Lucky you going for 5 days - thought we were being adventurous going for 4 days. Have a lovely time. :)

Hiya,
We're booked and going from Dec 24th til Dec 27th with first choice.

First christmas since we've been living together and didn't want the debate on which family to spend christmas with.

Erm.....should mention I haven't got any kids either, so can't even use them as an excuse for booking :D
I'm just a big kid!!! :)

Kitty xxx

Hi Kitty,

I am more excited than the kids :D , can't stop talking about it. I hate the cold but will put up with it - oh the excitement of it all. I know it says buy themals but is that all you wear under the snowsuits? Hope you have a lovely magical time I know I, sorry, I mean 'we' will. Take care :)

I keep telling myself that it will be a different type of cold Hev LOL
Like there can be any other cold than bluddy freezing ;)

I've no idea what to wear under the suit, (I'm just hoping they have one to fit. I've asked for a 22 so hoefully they'll be able to accomodate me :)

I can't wait now - I hope it's fantastic over there.
I'm terrified of flying so once I've got over that we'll be fine :D

Hope you have a fantastic time - you'll be able to tell me all about it on the 23rd as we're not going til the 24th :)

Kitty xxx

Hi

We did a day trip last year.

I wore:

thick tights
knee length socks
cord trousers
long sleeved thernal vest
thin, long sleeved roll neck top
thick roll neck jumper
gloves
hat with flaps over my ears
scarf

Over the top of all this I wore the Thermal suit provided, I found the sizing pretty generous mine was a small (yippee) I am a UK 14.

I was still in ketosis but I only felt cold once, that was on a 40 min sleigh ride, despite being wrapped in a fur blanket too. Apart from that I was quite toasty. From time to time we popped into a wigwam, took off our gloves and warmed up our fingers around a fire pit.

Hope this is helpful, have a wonderful time. I'm very jealous!

I'm doing the Santa's Magic - 2 nights 3 days tour with Canterbury! Yes very expensive £4.5k for 6 of us BUT its a once in a lifetime trip it'll be the only time we actually do it.
Oh exciting xxx

Hi all, got back from Lapland last night and it was absolutely fantastic - so much so we are looking to go again just for all the activities (not to see Santa next time). We were aching all over from the skiing and ice skating but it was brilliant. Def reccommend it :) :) :D :D :D .

Glad you had a great time. Sooo jealous!

Now you are back to a wonderful Xmas. How lovely.

Dizzy x

Here goes, I was worried about the weather as we had heard they had a mini-heat wave in Lapland and people were toboganing in slush but when we landed the snow was still there, yippee!!!!! :) :) :D

As soon as they gave us our snow suits and boots at the hotel the kids wanted to go out - snow angels, rolling and sliding down hills and snow ball fights ensued - hey the kids even joined in, he! he! It was cold but our suits were great - didn't even need our thermals underneath because of all the activities we did. Skiing, toboganing, ice skating, husky mushing, reindeer sleigh and skidoos (snow mobiles). IT WAS FANTASTIC - we all want to go again next year.

Santa was very good, we were picked up before sunrise, taken into a forest were we were met by men on skidoos with sleighs on the back covered in reindeer skins, we were covered up with blankets and whisked away into the snowy forest up into the mountains - candles lit along the pathways. We arrived at a big log house on a hill with a kota outside (like a tepee with fire inside), we were called one family at a time to see Santa, he had a real beard and spoke as though he was from Eton! When we went outside we stood by the fire with hot berry juice and watched the sun come up :D it was absolutely magical - I will never forget that feeling of peace and tranquillity - sorry I was wandering off there :p .

The skidoo safari was one not to be missed, it was night time when we went but the snow made it look alot lighter. We went over the frozen marsh land and through the forest - what a thrill!! Guess what? We saw the northern lights - they were amazing, changing colours and waving - not to be missed.

I think I need to go now as I want to find out how much for next year - by bye. :D :D

We had the most fantastic time, although we missed seeing the northern lights so have got an excuse to go back this year!!!!

It was -16 and snowing on christmas day :) was just perfect.
I loved it, can recommend to anyone thinking about going :)

Kitty xxx

Back