Laser Hair Removal (sorry off-topic)

lighterlifeclaire

Silver Member
Well I hope I don't get slapped for posting this on ere lol..

About 2 years ago I had this random hair growing on my chin :eek: ... Anyway, it was proper weird, so I went docs and have been having tests at an endocrinologist/gynaecologist place ... they thought I had cushings, but that was written off... but about 2 weeks ago they "diagnosed" me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) ... Apparently this makes you prone to putting on weight, irregular periods (although mine are perfect since losing weight)... and also, hair growth!! (Oh the joys!)

Anyway.. the weights no longer a prob cos its in the process of being fixed...and neither are the periods as im apparently ovulating :D so they have "signed me off until i am ready to conceive" :eek::eek::eek: (some pcos people have probs having kiddies... :mad:)

Anyway..... this hair thing..... I went for a consultation and a test patch for laser hair removal today... and the lady said it will be great for me and will almost definately work :D:D:D (You know, please dont think im a bearded lady... because although I am... people don't even notice... its for my paranoia that im getting it done!!)

ANYYYYWWWAAAAAYYYYYY TO THE POINT....

Has anyone had it/getting it/whatever... I wanna know if it really is as great as she says it is...

Because its costing me big buckeroonies lol :p

Couldn't you just use cream?
I did hear lasering worked best on dark wiry hair. Is your facial hair like that? Is it just a little bit? As you said, it's a costly excercise. I had a friend who had it done and it really messed her skin (chin) leaving her scared but this was a few yaers ago. I imagine the treatment has improved since then.

Couldn't you just use cream?
I did hear lasering worked best on dark wiry hair. Is your facial hair like that? Is it just a little bit? As you said, it's a costly excercise. I had a friend who had it done and it really messed her skin (chin) leaving her scared but this was a few yaers ago. I imagine the treatment has improved since then.

tbh... it looks alright... docs said I could have electroylissisis (whatever) or lazer to get rid of it... I looked at them both and laser definately looks better. She said that because I am quite pale skinned that it wil work great... :D As for wiry hair... Shamed to say its like a proper dark hair patch... but its literally a square which is about an inch wide and obviously it doesnt grow solid... I used hair removal cream before... but it started givin me spots... they also prescribed me vaniqa which stops it from growing but it takes 6months to take affect, and you MUST use it twice a day... if you miss a few days, it begins to grow back and you start the 6 months again. I'm too forgetful for that - I tried it and i didn't like it.

The laser is £50 a session and she says it will be completely gone after about 6 sessions (could be up to 8)... Its expensive but at the moment I pay a tenner a week 2 get it threaded!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Hi - I too have PCOS and all the symptons above!! I had laser on the side of my face - and it was the best thing ever. It is a bit uncomfortable and you come out bright red - make sure you have chilled aloe vera in the fridge - but after a few sessions you really notice the difference - and after 6 sessions the hair disappeared for a few years. Go for it - it made me much less self-conscious!

My personal experience of this, as someone with PCOS is: Aculight was RUBBISH! This is pulsed laser, and they told me it would work and it totally didn't. It cost me £65 a session and I had it every 4 weeks, and was basically conned.

BUT

Have since had laser here ShadiDanin - Hair, Scalp & Skin Clinic and she uses a Light Sheer laser, which has worked really really well. She's down here in Hove, but I know there is somewhere in London that has one. I've had it on my top lip, chin, side of my face and all over my throat, and there's hardly anything left. It kills, really really hurts, but was well worth it!

Ah..... are there different types??? I know the machine she uses is called a polaris I think... Will have a look... she said all of her customers have been really pleased, but then I suppose she would say that !

Oh I dunno what to do now...

oh God, isn't it complicated? What's vaniqa? How good is the threading? Do you have to let the hair grow quite a bit first?

I found this... and it agrees with what you said Dom xx

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Name [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type of Laser [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Skin type [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Customer Feedback [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Speed [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Side Effects [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Overall [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]POLARIS [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]long pulsed YAG[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3.4.5.6[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FAST [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FEW [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GOOD [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Epilight/Aculight[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pulsed Light[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3.4.5.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Epitouch[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alexandrite[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good/Med[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Epitouch[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ruby[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slow[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light Age[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alexandrite[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light Sheer[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Diode[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Plasmalight[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pulsed Light[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3.4[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slow[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quartet[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Class 111[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALL [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Softlight[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q switched YAG[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALL [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Smart Epil[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YAG [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALL [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT]

oh God, isn't it complicated? What's vaniqa? How good is the threading? Do you have to let the hair grow quite a bit first?

Yep complicated lol...

Vaniqa is a cream which I was prescribed...!! My experience with it was rubbish!

How does it work?

Vaniqa cream contains the active ingredient eflornithine, which is a type of medicine known as an antiprotozoal. Eflornithine works by blocking the action of an enzyme called ornithine decarboxylase. This is an enzyme found in hair follicles and is needed for hair to grow.

The cream is applied to the skin to reduce the growth of unwanted hair. It is used to treat unwanted facial hair growth in women, usually around the lips or under the chin.

Eflornithine only slows down the growth of unwanted hair. It does not actually remove hair so another method for hair removal such as plucking or shaving may need to be continued whilst using Vaniqa cream.

I think I'll go for the laser and see how it goes...

Threading is good, pretty much the same as waxing but done with cotton - much more cleaner, and just more "tidy" (I will still get my eyebrows threaded cos its so precise!)

I found this... and it agrees with what you said Dom xx

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Name [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type of Laser [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Skin type [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Customer Feedback [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Speed [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Side Effects [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Overall [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]POLARIS [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]long pulsed YAG[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3.4.5.6[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FAST [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FEW [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GOOD [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Epilight/Aculight[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pulsed Light[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3.4.5.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Epitouch[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alexandrite[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good/Med[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Epitouch[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ruby[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slow[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light Age[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alexandrite[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light Sheer[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Diode[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Plasmalight[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pulsed Light[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2.3.4[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slow[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quartet[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Class 111[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALL [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Softlight[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q switched YAG[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALL [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Poor[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Smart Epil[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YAG [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALL [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT]

Oops that was a table when I pasted it... sorry it doesnt make much sense there... but basically says tht epilight/aculight is rubbish lol

Never tried it sorry Claire, I do have a few stray hairs on my neck under my chin and one on my chin --- it's my upper lip which annoys me most though, always selfconscious of that though it's not too bad to be honest ... others don't notice it and I just always get it waxed.

My mum wants it done but she only has little blondish kinda hairs so I told her I don't think its worth it...

Hey-ho... can only try eh :)

Was just thinking i don't wanna be stunningly slim in the summer with this weirdo beardo going on LOL

Vaniqa cream contains the active ingredient eflornithine, which is a type of medicine known as an antiprotozoal. !)

Which is also an ingredient in meds they use to treat cancer - it is part of why people lose their hair in cancer treatment - hence the use on losing facial hair.

Hi Claire,

I also have some hair around my chin (again I am not a bearded lady!) which I have removed at a salon that does beauty epilation. It's no more painful than tweezing and has been very effective so far so if you didn't get on with laser this might be a cheaper alternative.

Kerrie

Hello not sure if it's the same laser but I am having permanent hair removal on me bikini line. I have only had one session so far but can already see a massive reduction in hair. I have another 7 sessions spread 1 month apart.

Back