Laser surgery v Contact Lenses

I had my eyes lasered in 2007. I was short sighted, but the problem for me was that one of my eyes was much much worse than the other so when I got glasses one lense was nice and thin whilst the other was like a re-entry shield. I love being able to see, but i've suffered with eye infections ever since (at least two a year- bad ones at that). Also, the total amount for me was close to £3000, so nowhere near as cheap as they make out.

I would get it done again if I was in the same boat, but this time I wouldn't listen to anyone who wanted to tell me that it wasn't painful or that I can go back to work that afternoon. You can't, it's a load of rubbish.

I've worn contacts for years & wouldn't be without them.

I did try the sleep in ones but they just weren't for me.

No I'm a little older & my eyes have changed I now have a reading contact in 1 eye & a distance contact in the other. It does work & absolutely brilliant. When my eyes worsen I'll have variable/bifical contacts.

With the dailies you don't need solutions as you put in a new set of contacts each day. I wear monthly contacts & sleep in them Mon-Fri & usually don't wear them at all on Sundays as I'm not going out & want to give my eyes a rest.

Hi Michelle - I haven't met any adults who've tried the overnight ones. What was the problem with them? Do they feel much different to the day ones?

My OH liked the idea, but it seems that you have to go to London to get an appointment to get them (unless I was missing something).

Thanks,
Beccy

The overnight ones were brill to wear & I didn't even know they were there, but I just kept getting infections.

At my recent optican appt I was told the lenses I currently wear can be slept in, but no more than 6 nights a week. So now I put them in on Monday morning, take them out Saturday night with a lense free day on a Sunday, so far so good.;)

Medusa said:
You should get a free trial. My local optician was more then happy to trial me monthly varifocal lenses after months of daily disposables.

I've worn contacts since 1986 - my first paycheque. :) I have specs but they are for at home only. :cool:

My daily disposables were causing me trouble so In trailed varifocals 2 months ago and they are brilliant.

Yes definitely get a free trial, it might take a few goes to get ones you're happy with. Then if you don't want the ongoing commitment then you can order them online - I get my from www.daysoftlenses.co.uk which does own brand version of lenses - so you just put in what you were using, Ciba Vision or whatever and they match it for you. I've been using them for about 5 years now and the dailies worked out as much cheaper than through my optician. You do need to have your proper contact lens prescription, but I've never had a problem getting it when I've had my test.

I had my eyes lasered in 2005 at optimax and I couldn't recommend them highly enough.
The procedure itself was quick and yes it was genuinely painless and yes I could see instantly when I sat up albeit my eyes were very watery. I wouldn't have been able to go to work that day but by the next morning I was able to see perfectly! I was short sighted and had an astigmatism too. I've been left ever so slightly longsighted in one eye but not so that I notice it. The aftercare is fantastic and I would recommend the surgery to anyone. I was very lucky and received 50% discount for being an Nhs worker and Therefore only paid £850 which was a total bargain!

The overnight ones were brill to wear & I didn't even know they were there, but I just kept getting infections.

At my recent optican appt I was told the lenses I currently wear can be slept in, but no more than 6 nights a week. So now I put them in on Monday morning, take them out Saturday night with a lense free day on a Sunday, so far so good.;)

Thanks. Just to clarify, when you say 'overnight' ones, do you mean ones you keep in day and night, or the ones that you wear overnight and take out in the morning but can still see properly all day with nothing in?

Back