Laxatives

LVP123

Hello, just wondering if anyone knows of any ketosis friendly laxatives that do not contain bisacodyl? I had a pretty nasty reaction to them and ended up in A&E at the weekend, but really do need laxatives whilst on exante!

which ones did you have a reaction to?

oh wow.. i heard that they can be *too* good for some people. Sorry you ended up in A&E! Hope you are feeling better now.

Have you tried taking psyllium husks? I was taking 1 bisacodyl a week and that was the only time i was going... and my tummy was feeling a bit yucky towards the end of each week because of not going regularly. I started taking psyllium and it has been much better, it's natural and much much gentler (it's just fibre). I take 3 grams a day mixed with a small glass of water. You can buy it from healthfood shops.

to be honest today iv got some stomach pains and i think i need a little "help" :( is dulcolax ok??

The active ingredient in dulcolax is bisacodyl... it's the same thing. It is good, but very effective - take only 1 tablet, not 2 as it says on the pack -i'm speaking from experience! It works by drawing water into your bowels which then makes you go. I love it if i feel really uncomfortable as it's pretty quick but psyllium is my top choice now as it doesn't have the side effects (dulcolax gives me tummy cramps, not too bad, but not fun either).

iv taken 2 before on LT and i fainted because the cramps were so bad so i think one is a definate. It says take them at night but im staying away from home tonight then im at the hospital all day tomorrow so dont want any embarressing accidents!!! do you think its ok to take one now? how long till they work?

If you take one now, and drink lots of water and don't go to sleep or anything (i find sleeping slows them down, lol) then i think it should work within 6 to 8 hours at the most - one time it worked in 3 hours for me - so can't really say for sure!. I sometimes get effects the next day though too, although nothing too bad where i can't wait to find a toilet!

I never take them at night. I did that one time but it didn't work by the next morning and they started working just as i was on my way out shopping. :)

I use manevac. U get it from the chemist in boots and its about 12 pound for a big tubs but it last ages...its in granules that you swallow with water.

Its reccomended for ibs sufferers as its quite mild, i cant use the dulcolax but this is fine. No stomach cramps, no sickness, it just does what it needs to.

X

Stephie77 xxx

It was bisacodyl (what's in dulcolax) that gave me the allergic reaction. I reacted so severely that they thought I had toxic shock syndrome, hence why I was in A&E. I will try psyllium husks or manevac, thank you.

Can you take senacot when in exante?

Crims said:
Can you take senacot when in exante?

I do and it's fine. Though I think I may need suppositories now as both senokot and dulcolax don't seem to be working. Have resorted to each night and am not going properly. Am in agony at the moment coz I haven't been properly for a while *cry*.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I was suffering from this as well, probably because my evening meal has been purely protein and veg. So I've factored in a bowl of All-Bran for 'pudding' each evening and it's had the desired effect! I have a phobia of taking tablets so couldn't do laxatives unless I was really desperate.

I tried doing Dukan and got severely bunged up. I got desperate and got prunes. Not allowed but they worked. Am now doing GI again so back to normal almost!!

Back