Lean muscle tissue loss and exercise regime

I read that in order to build muscle we need at least 1g of protein per lb of lean muscle which would probably be about 120g per day. Slim and save only gives us about 50g I think. Is this a problem, should we add more protein perhaps on training days. I would prefer to lose a little
ESA quickly but look more tones and fit.

That protein thing is a MYTH. Brad Pilon did a whole study on this and the truth is is that it's different for every person cos there's a lot of determining factors, but for a regular guy, between 70g-120g of protein would be enough.

I usually add one or two scoops of cheap protein powder into my shakes on my workout days, just to give myself extra protein.

On 50g, you probably won't grow that much BUT it will prevent your muscles from shrinking which is what you really want and it'll make a difference as you start losing weight.

I'm not an expert on the subject, i'm really not, but this is what i've learned. Just doing some training will stop your muscles from shrinking too much :)

I have to say I agree kinda with the docs..

I also work in a gym and have fitness professionals explaining constantly me why ketosis isnts generally a good thing. They explain that the best way to lose weight is to dip into it but have carbs every few days or something

In all my weight loss journey I have never done a VLCD for longer than 10 days. Even this time round (please note the max I have gained since losing is 6lb or so (holidays xmas etc- which I then use a VLCD to get it off)) I have lost 6 stone

I STRONGLY think being in ketosis for long periods at a time does not make you lose anymore, (from personal experience)

Look at this time round for instance... I did exante for 10 days by all means not 100% dont even think I was in ketosis properly.. starting on my first WI 14th june... lost 6lb in the 7 days... came off of it saturday and sunday. Struggled on the monday ended up with a burger from Mcdonalds on the tuesday attempted another restart... got me no where. WI and TOTM on the 27th and only gained 1lb. How?!?! ... wednesday and thursday I ate normally with the plan to start s&S on the friday. possibly doing more damage?! Or boosting metabolism I see it. And after 2 full days on s&S 2 days eating normally I was 12.2 this morningg another 3lbs off since wednesday.

However its what your own body agrees with. I suppose in a way I do the up down day diet is it called?! All i know is I see people on here staying the same some weeks and stuck to a VLCD alll week. Surely thats the proof you need. I can stay the same eating normally all week, if I had not lost at least 4lb in a week on a VLCD Id be in a temper!!

I boost my metabolism with days off and it works and keeps you much more sane x

Leedsforever, I kind of wonder if (and I'm sure loads of people will wanna jump on me for this) ketosis actually makes your weight loss a bit slower sometimes, than it would be if you ate the equivalent with normal (carb) food. It would make sense seeing as ketosis is meant to be a state in which your body uses energy reserves at a more efficient rate.

I'm sure we will get people here disagreeing lol and I wish I knew all the science and understood it. One of the fitness professionals from work drew a diagram for me once and he was very passionate about not letting your body stay too long in ketosis. Dip in and out of it.

I mean I am not professional and these diets have made no end of money but a lot of people also regain on them. Is it "old eating habits" or a messed up metabolism. Losing 6 stone no way could my body handle what what my old eating habits were. Also let's not forget muscle mass is very important to our metabolism. Muscle weighs more than fat. VLCD do not recommend high intensity exercise ... The spin class I am about to do will burn more calories than I am going to eat today. If I stayed 100% for weeks on end this would be awful to the body.

Please don't think I am telling people to not stick to VLCD for weeks on end I am just talking of my experiences and my body x

I have extra protein on training days. So far I haven't had any major muscle loss, my biceps have grown over an inch..so bizarrely I have managed some muscle gains

When I powrlift I have 100g protein, when not on plan is be shooting for 120-140. Saying this I train heavily, I don't think anyone would have issues with light exercise on plan

Maybe that's why these diets can only be followed for 12 weeks at a time before a break is needed or something. I don't know though, there are many groups of people in different parts of the world who are in a permanent state of ketosis due to the nature of their natural diet as they have very low carb forms of food in their natural environment, and their bodies are fine. Like before agriculture, the only carbs we had access too really were veg and fruits.

I personally like the freedom from sugar that ketosis gives me, it's a kind of liberating feeling.

No no one has a problem with light exercise but the type we do then yes. My CDC used to be quite worried at the thought of me doing a spin class or body conditioning class.

I think those people who live in countries that always have a state of ketosis and are fine is because that's all there bodies know. We have
eaten carbs and will eat them again. Luckily I don't gain when I am back to eating normally and I think that's because I am not in ketosis too long!

But who knows. I know my body that's it

Back