Learning to Love Life!

Thanks SB I think you are right I think my family will see that I am not a doormat anymore and they will treat me differently. But it will go two ways, they will either respect me for it or they will walk away. I think all I want to do is let them know that I am a good and kind person and I have made a wonderful life without their help and I am a good parent to my son.

Today I have been on LL for a month. I feel like a bit of mile stone has been reached and to celebrate I am going to put on a swimming costume and take my son swimming!!!

I have been thikning about going through the times when I have put on all the weight and why. It has happended three times and I did not realise this until we did the time line in group. I just thought that I had spent most of my adult life a fatty and is was because I loved food and booze too much.

Slowly (and is has been about 10days!) I have realised that it has been because of unhappy points in my life. I just went through the last 17yrs thinking that fat was in my genes and there was nothing I could do about it. But that is not true because I have been very slim at two points in my adult life and so I know I can be a slim person.

I met my first husband when I was only 14, he was 8 yrs older than me and I only got with him because I wanted some attention from my parents. At the time my older sister was getting married (at a very young age) and everything was all about her. I started smoking, drinking going out with boys on moterbikes and then I met "him" (I will call him T from now on).

Any way things went on, I got generally ignored, the wedding was for June 1990 and in October 89 my granddad died and my mother was then greiving for my granddad and planning this wedding and looking after my younger sister. I was just ignored really, I don't think they did it on purpose but I certainly was a very lonely time. T would then say things to me like he was the only person who was supporting me and if I didn't have him I wouldn't have anyone. So at 14 I belived him and all the little things he would whisper in my ear.
I was still with him when I turned 16 my my mum thought that life would be best all round if I went to live with him as he had his own house and worked for his dad on a good wage. At the time I felt as though I was being cast out of the family and I told this to T and he said again and agian that he was the only person who was my supporter and my friend and there wasn't anyone else who cared about me. Again I belived him, I belived everything he said.

Life went on, he took me on foreign holidays and got me through my driving test when I was just 17 and to me it all felt like i was living some kind of a dream life. I didn't have any friends, I thought it was all donw to them being jealous, or at least thats what T said.

On my 20th birthday he asked me to marry him and of course I said yes! My sister was on marriage nuimber two and two kids by then. I thought it would be lovely to have my mum as involved in my wedding as she had been in my sisters. But by the time it had got to me, she was jaded and fed up with weddings and she took no time in telling me and telling em she had no money to put towars it either.

T wasn't bothered by that, all he said to me was he had the money and he would look after me because he was the only one who had any way.

Well, the wedding was awful, he wouldn't spend the money on me to have a lovely dress and we had the reception at our house. He did pay for a night at a local hotel but he just watched the movies all night and then went for a swim. I went to bed and in the morning we had to leave before breakfast because he was going away for the weekend with his bike club.

So away he went and I stayed home on my own. Thats when the eating started, I was so lonely and sad and I couldn't call my parents and I didn't have any friends so I ordered a takeaway. I ordered what T and I would have eated together and I ate the lot. The next night I ordered another takeaway from another place again enought for the two of us and again I ate it all to myself. For four days the only time I lef the house was to go to the garage or the drive through.
When he got home I was so down and lonely all I wanted was some company. But he didn't want to talk to me, he was tired from all the riding and then he saw all the takeaway rubbish in the bin and thought I had had friends round. I hadn't but he wouldn't beleive me, he was saying things like I was having guys round behind his back and I was drinking and smoking when I knew he wouldn't let me do those things. (I was smoking by the way, rebelious child!) So push came to shove, litterally and I walked away and went for a bath so we could both calm down. About ten minutes later he came up, pulled my out the bath by my hair, dragged me down the stairs and threw me out the front door, naked. It was quite late at night and I was only there for about 30 seconds. But the shame and the shock were over whelming. He never said sorry, all he said was if I wanted to act like a dog then I would be treated like one.

Things went from bad to worse and in our six month marriage the abuse while he never actually put me in the hospital it was bad. But the verbal was worse, that was the stuff that made me eat. I never told anyone what he did to me until I told the wonderful husband I have now.

I would eat in secret, I would eat every meal on my own. In the six months we were married we never ate one meal together. We even managed a holiday and still didn't eat together. I carried on smoking behind his back and he carried on treating me like a dog and doing what he wanted.

I left him because he punched me in the head and knocked me out over a bottle of ketchup. I don't know why that was the thing that broke the spell but it was. I had to get out and I had to do something.

While I was packing up my stuff he called hos mother for her to come round and talk to me. When that failed he beat me while she watched. He punched in my car window and told me he would see me dead. I went to my sisters and by the time I got there the police were waiting for me as he had told them I had threatened to set light to him in his house while asleep. I had my chance to tell them he was a woman beater and I didn't. I told my sister how he used to punch my in the head, the same place every time. But she didn't believe me so I didn't tell anyone else.

In the six months we were married I went from being a size 12 to a size 20, and in the six months after I left him I went back down to a size 10.

He killed my self worth and he destroyed the ability for me to show any feelings I had for a long time.

I met some one else and all the weight went straight back on because I felt exactly the same with that man as I did with T. He didn't beat me but I managed to beat myself up with food. I hadn't even begun to deal with my marriage breaking down and why it happened to me. So all the issues came back along with the weight. I hadn't even been slim for 8 months.

God, guys sorry to ramble but that is the first time I have written that down and I needed to do that.
Puffed out now! :(:):eek:

Wow Lind,
What a brave thing to do to write that on here.
Really emotional stuff - everything you went through from such a young age from the issues with your family to the emotional blackmail and physical and mental torture from someone who told you he was the only one who cared for you. No wonder you piled food on top of the fear and hurt for comfort.
Lucky that spell did break eventually and you escaped from his power.
How did you meet the wonderful husband you have now? Did it take you long to feel able to trust him?

My husband now is a wonderful man, and luckily for me and him I had gone through my issues with my ex. He met me when I was really slim and he always said he loves me no matter what size I am, he helped me through a lot of rubbish with my family and understands me inside and out. I do feel very lucky to have him.....mind you he feels luckier!!

Another weekend down and another weigh in coming up this evening.

I can not believe I am coming to the end of week 5 already. It only feels like I have been on if 5 minutes.

Had a big sort out of clothes this weekend. Got rid of so much stuff, things that were too big, things that I truly did not know what I was thinking when I bought them. And things I used as my security blanket like dark jeans and black tops. Felt really good to have a big purge and get rid of all of it.

Got a big weekend coming up, meeting my mother for the first time in 4 yrs and a big BBQ. So I know it's going to be stressfull but now I also know that I will be ok and I know as I am changing as a person I am becoming more well eqipped to deal with though situations without resorting to food or drink to drown the feelings out.

Had a fab haircut and bought myself a great new outfit to wear so I will feel good inside and out!

flies by dunnit.

still in the baggy's for me, but I am using new clothes as a reward in a few weeks when I hit 5 stone loss. Nicely done on the new hair cut for your stone. You should hit your 2 tonight. I am dreaming for my 4 tonight, but I doubt it. SHould get the 4 next week though.

Keep going and good luck with the BBQ. Still not sure I could handle that just yet.

and lind, dont know what to say for your story a couple of posts up. You are brave to post on here and well done on turning your life around. I am sorry that people have to experience this sort of BS in their lives and how it has effected you. Good lcuk with the turn around, I am not a believer in time healing wounds, I think time plus treatments does. Thank you for sharing. Truly. Keep going, keep it up. I think we all have these demons in our heads which lead us to destroy ourselves with food. to stop that cycle whatever ranting and posting helps the betetr.

Thanks lind

Lind, just catching up on your blog and read the story a couple of posts up. Am completely shocked, you are so brave to get out of that horrible relationship, and so brave to write about it here. I am so glad that you've found someone who loves you and it sounds like you have a wonderful relationship :)

You're doing so well on LL and you definitely deserve to treat yourself with a new haircut! You will have to post up some pics :)

Thank you for your kind words guys, just needed to get it out and I think writing it down puts it into a bit of order.

Well, onto lighter and happier things, week 5 weigh in last night and 2lbs off. Thats my 2 stone in 5 weeks, very very pleased with that. Would really love to loose another 2 stone in Development. Any one have any ideas how I can boost the weight loss?

Had my hair cut for my one stone off treat and my 2 stone off treat was a little bit of beauty shopping. Got some lovely hair care stuff and then went to the Christian Dior counter and got a new nail varnish and lip gloss and some lovely tinted moisturiser.

I had a quick look in New Look, and I caught a glimpse of myself in one of the full length mirrors and I am starting to look ok. Well, for once I didn't see myself and want to smash the mirror or cry and throw myself on the floor and have a full blown tantrum.

Buliding up to this dreaded weekend!! I don't really want to make such a big deal of ot, but last night my LLC said if I didn't explore the possibilities of what could happen when I meet my mother then I could go back to using f*** to bury the emotions again. So here goes......

We have written a few letters back and forth over thelast few weeks. I have said some things to her that I have wanted to say for a long long time. The response I got back was that if she talked about it it would make her ill. I know this is just avoidance and I know I can not make her talk about anything if she doesn't want to. But what I can do is talk to her, she can choose to listen or not but at least I will have said what I want to. I don't think this weekend is the time to do it, this weekend I feel like just seeing whats going on with my family and seeing if they have changed at all.

Then Saturday evening we have this Birthday BBQ. I am hoping everyone gets drunk so no-one realises I haven't eaten!

Then on Sunday we get to bring the mother in law home with us for 2 whole weeks!!! HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be on here a lot, and I apologise now for the major amount of whining and moaning and just general all out *****ing that will happen!!! :cry:

:DI feel like I have the energy of 10 grown men today!!!! lol

I can not believe how much I have got done around then house. I feel bright and alert and full of life... I did have a black coffee at 9.30 this morning, I wonder if that has something to do with it?? ;)

Put a pair of crop trousers on today that just 2 weeks ago were a bit tight and today they are perfect! Oh the joy!

I forgot to say that I was a bit p****d off at my group on Monday evening. We didn't have a full meeting because out of the 8 of us that were left after the first week only 3 of us could stay on Monday. Some of the girls just didn't show and the ones that did couldn't stop.

There was talk of food and nearly half the group had eaten or drunk in some way or another. Most of them were moaning about how bored they were of it and thinking about stopping.

I just got really annoyed because I thought their lack of commitment is affect the grand total of the 2 of us in the group that really want this. I didn't say anything to my LLC but this is the second week that people have been messing around in the group so I think if it happens again next week I am going to tell my LLC that I am not happy and I want to get on and do the CBT and not waste any more weeks because of other people messing around.

Right, moan over with back to being happy now. :rolleyes:

Lind, can completely see why your annoyed at your group! Mine is the same, the majority cheat/lapse regularly and they seem almost proud of it. They moan when they don't lose 5/6ibs, and I honestly think it's because my LLC and other members of the group respond by saying 'oh but you look so much slimmer'. Those sort of comments, means they feel like they can cheat, get away with it, and get praise in return!

Think i'm the only one in my group who has stayed 100% abstinent, and keep losing every week. And they always say to me 'how do you do it?' which is bizzare as we are all on the exact same diet, if they just stuck to it properly they'd do the same!

Haha sorry little rant over! :)

Had a bit of a taster ready for the weekend today.
My son had a birthday party to go to, one of those where the mums stay and everyone has to look yummy mummyish. There was lots and lots of party food and all the usual stuff you would expect. But I was a good girl, I didn't even worry about it and all the other mums were munching.
One if the mummies said she could really see a difference and then another mummy said that she could tell in a bit of a back handed way. But I just smiled at her and said thanks, I knew she was trying to put me down but I made sure she knew that I took it as a compliment and she had the good grace to turn red!!

I keep trying to think about how I am feeling over this coming weekend. Am I making too much of it or am I trying to push the emotion down?

I really don't know because I am not really feeling anything about seeing my parents for the first time in years. I really do feel like I could take it or leave it. I am more nervous about the BBQ and how I am going to dodge my best friend trying to feed me.

Maybe I am setting myself up for a fall, maybe it wont hit me until after I have met my family and talked to them. My husband has agreed not to leave my side and not to let me have a melt down around food or drink, just incase.

I would also feel angry and cheated if people messed around with the classes. I don't see the point. It's too expensive for one thing and unless you do it properly and stay abstinent you won't stay in ketosis and it'll be just like any other diet. Those people will spoil it for those of you who want what you've paid for. I would have to say something to the LLC.
Lind -good luck atthe BBQ. Great that your OH is really with you on this now.
Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you'll be strong enough to deal with the family stuff and the food will be a piece of (p***)- cake!!

Well, I have survived the weekend. I stayed 100% and I can not tell you how happy that makes me.

I faced my family head on, with my husband and my son by my side and I made them see how much they had missed out. I made them treat me with respect, because I treated myself with respect. My husband told them how wonderful I am and I came away feeling like I had put something to rest.

I am not sure if I will see them again, I think I will leave that up to them. Prehaps let them do a bit of chasing after me just to prove if they do want a good and healthy relationship with me. But I feel like there is something that I have forgiven myself for, and I am not entirely sure what that is but it feels like a releif.

I have decided my next step is to visit my ex husbands grave, write him a letter about how he made me feel and act and just leave it with him. That wont be yet but soon I think.

Also, I managed to survive the dreaded BBQ on Saturday night. Luckily for me my friend was so drunk she didn't even notice I was not eating and the whole night turned bad because of a huge family argument so we left quietly to let them get on with it.

Gosh I do have a lot to say today. My mother in law is stying with us for the next 2 weeks. So far she has only tried to get me to eat once and that was a soon as I walked into her house on Saturday. Hubby put her straight and so far she has been as good as gold! lol

Got weigh in tonight, feeling good and hoping for a good loss tonight. I have decided that I am going to say something to my LLC tonight. I am going to say that my LL journey is very important to me and I don't want it messed around by anyone and then I am going to ask her what her plans are to stop last week happening again.

I am making some really good friends on here and I'm into thinking that without these people and their experiences and knowledge my journey would definately be a lot harder than it is.

Wow lind,
Well done you. What a lot of things you are dealing with at the moment.
Sounds like you really havw a handle on the family situations.Let them get on with it - and let you get on with your life.
I bet they will contact you again.
Congratulations.

Thank you SB. :)

Had weigh in last night, 2lbs again this week!!! Arghhh, I wanted more! I know a loss is a loss and all that but I look really different and I really thought as I had only lost 2lbs last week I might have got more this week. Never mind, onwards and downwards as they say!!!!

Well, went to the gym yesterday morning and did really well. I was a bit shocked by how much I could manage. I did go thinking that I should take it really easy and not try to do too much but it was fine. I was completely knackered after though.

This morning I went out on my bike for 40 mins and did 3 miles. My legs feel like jelly now but I have that great post exercise feeling. Gym tomorrow, going to have a nice swim.

I have started a thought record journal this week and it has been quite enlightening. I do have a bit of difficulty writing in it and it does take me quite a while to get to the point of the matter but I am starting to learn more about bringing my feelings up and not pushing them all down and ignoring them. I realise that I push all sorts of feelings down, even really happy ones.

Put a pair of jean shorts on yesterday that I haven't worn for a couple of weeks and they are much too big for me. It's the first thing that is proper too big to wear out! It is a lovely feeling and makes me realise that I am getting there.

This morning I went for a lovely swim and a spa bath and a sauna! Oh it was bliss, and it felt so nice to be taking care of myself.

I decided to step up the activity because my skin on my tummy is going wrinkly and I want to try and do as much for it as I can. I know I will have some loose skin left because of all my stretch marks but all I can do to help it wont hurt.

My wonderfull husband took me out to the pub last night. I had black coffee and water and he took advantage and had a few pints. lol I managed to get myself into a pair of size 12 skinny combats (with out any overspill) and my husband said I looked really good and sexy. I smiled said thank you and he was so pleased that I took the compliment with out trashing it. Was a nice feeling for both of us I think.

Well done with all the extra activity! Hopefully we will both have good losses next week, being gym bunnies!! Spa bath sounds wonderful, I froze my gym membership when I started LL and can't wait to go back, but am loving jogging outdoors at the moment :)

And your husband sounds lovely and supportive :)

I feel like I have been through a small war this weekend!!!

There have been magnificent moments of triumph and euphoria and crashing blows and defeats.

On saying that I have not fallen of the wagon and I have 100% absitnent all of the time. But I think I have had some sort of mental meltdown about coming to the end of week 7.

Went out with the hubby Saturday night, had a fab time, really enjoyed myself. Right up to one last drink at our local before home. When for some reason the thought that I could have a cheecky red wine and be back in ketosis by the morning just popped into my head.

And oh did it throw me. Up to now I have not had a naughty chatterbox on my shoulder and there she was whispering all sorts of things in my ear!!! I didn't do it, I had a black coffee and after a brisk talking to in the mirror in the Ladies she soon cleared off.

Then today, put on a great new top on and some jeans that have always been too small for me. Felt the best I have felt for a very long time, hubby giving me lots and lots of positive stokes. Then we go to a pub so the boys and the mother in law can have lunch and what happend??! That naughty chatterbox turns up again. I told my hubby and he said to remember my Adult Ego State. I was so touched by the fact that he had remembered some of what I had been telling him that I forgot about the chatterbox and she soon went again.

But for some reason I have been obbsessed by that F word. Talking about it, thinking about when I finish LL, reading books about it and looking at websites!!! How bad is that? I don't know why I am putting myself through such tourture. It almost feels like I am pushing and pushing myself to see how much I can take.

Weigh in tomorrow night so I guess I will tell my LLC all about it and see what she comes up with.

Our counsellor always says that weeks 7/8 are the hardest weeks. The initial excitement of being on LL fades away a bit, you get a bit tired of avoiding social situations and not being able to join in with the food/drink and the amount you lose each week isn't as high as when you started which is always a come down. I remember on my week 5 all the others in my group were on week 7 and they had all cheated, and quite a few of them cried...me being a LL newbie could never imagine feeling that way and came out feeling horrible.

But now i'm on week 8 I completely understand how they felt, and how you feel! Well done for keeping strong, resisting the wine etc. Like your hubby says just remember your adult ego state (am very impressed he remembered that!!) And think, when you finish LL you'll need to make decisions for what to eat/drink all the time, so all the challenges you go through in abstinence are good practice for 'the rest of your life'...sounds so dramatic!

And hope the weekend with the mother in law wasn't too bad, if you can get through that you can get through anything!

Good luck for your weigh in tonight, i'll be rooting for you :)
xxxx

Back