Lent Challenge - John O'Groats to Lands End

hobnobsmummy

Silver Member
Following on from Lexies Lent thread, we agreed that seeing as we give up a lot already, we should gain something from Lent this year, an achievement.

Due to not everyone having a Pedometer and Most of us recording our minutes exercise on MFP, instead of Distance it will be timed challenge.

All exercise counts towards it, so whether you are zumbaing your way down the country or cycling, it all counts.

According to Wikipedia....

"The traditional distance by road is 874 miles (1,407 km) and takes most cyclists ten to fourteen days; the record for running the route is nine days. Off-road walkers typically walk 1,200 miles (1,900 km) and take two or three months for the expedition"

I would suggest we take the off-road walkers time which is 1460 Hours. (2 Months)

I have changed this as it seems a bit much! Have now put it in as 14 days rather than 2 months, Dont think we need to allow for taking it at a leisurely trip pace and stopping over in B&B's!
The Challenge is now 350 Hours which is 21000 Minutes.

Lent lasts for 40 days which means we would need 8.75 hours of exercise between us all a day for the walkers route.

Minutes Completed So Far -
Amy - 2879 Minutes (Target 1800 Minutes - 30 Hours) Mission Accomplished!
Lexie - 2475 Minutes (Target 2400 Minutes - 40 Hours) Mission Accomplished!
LisaM - 309 Minutes (No Target Set Yet)
Chrissy - 1350 Minutes (Target 1200 Minutes - 20 hours) Mission Accomplished!
Karen - 2163 Minutes (No Target Set yet)
Mis-behave - 3002 Minutes (No Target Set yet)
MizKirsty - 1350 Minutes (Target 1200 Minutes - 20 hours) Mission Accomplished!
ToofatKat - 415 Minutes (Target 1200 Minutes - 20 hours)
KittyB- 3905 Minutes (Target 3600 Minutes - 60 hours) Mission Accomplished!
Poppy - 1130 Minutes (No Target Set yet)

Total - 19178 Minutes.

Last edited:
hobnobsmummy said:
Following on from Lexies Lent thread, we agreed that seeing as we give up a lot already, we should gain something from Lent this year, an achievement.

Due to not everyone having a Pedometer and Most of us recording our minutes exercise on MFP, instead of Distance it will be timed challenge.

All exercise counts towards it, so whether you are zumbaing your way down the country or cycling, it all counts.

According to Wikipedia....

"The traditional distance by road is 874 miles (1,407 km) and takes most cyclists ten to fourteen days; the record for running the route is nine days. Off-road walkers typically walk 1,200 miles (1,900 km) and take two or three months for the expedition"

I would suggest we take the off-road walkers time which is 1460 Hours. (2 Months)

Lent lasts for 40 days which means we would need 36.5 hours of exercise between us all a day for the off road walkers route....I think this might be stretching it a bit...
but what does everyone else think? Would you like the Challenge of the longer route?

How many of us are there? X

Well let's just see how far we can get shall we, start off at Lands End. Shall I start it with tonight I did 45 minutes Zumba.

Another option is we say how much exercise we'd like to do (bit like the Easter challenge format) over Lent & see close to it we get.......

30 min from me today walking round ASDA pushing one hell of a heavy trolley lol.

75 minutes gone :)

Well let's just see how far we can get shall we, start off at Lands End. Shall I start it with tonight I did 45 minutes Zumba.

Another option is we say how much exercise we'd like to do (bit like the Easter challenge format) over Lent & see close to it we get.......

Good idea hun, could add that next to peoples names at the top.

I'll try for 40 hours - hopefully the incentive I need to actually start!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Fab Start Ladies will update in a bit :)

If its 40 days I'll go for 40 hours please :) I did 45min spin :) x

Hmmm why did I say 60 hours lol!!!!!! I have done a good walk this morning but will log everything at the end of the day as more walking to do & some wii action later me thinks

I've just seen this. I'd also like to go for 60 hours. I did 1 hour 10 minutes walking yesterday, will post today's walking when it's done.

KB x

I've done an hour of walking today, may do a bit on the wii tonight but I'll let you know if I do xx

And can I wuss out a bit & change it to 40 hours, I was being a little ambitious, I don't think there's any chance I can do an hour & a half a day x

Last edited:
I think I've followed the gist of this thread :) sorry been working away for two days. It's amazing what you miss when you've no phone signal.

I can't do much exercise but I have been walking for 1/2 hour each day so I'm going to say 20 hours if that's ok?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

toofatkat said:
I think I've followed the gist of this thread :) sorry been working away for two days. It's amazing what you miss when you've no phone signal.

I can't do much exercise but I have been walking for 1/2 hour each day so I'm going to say 20 hours if that's ok?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yeah basically we wanted to try & get enough exercise to get us the journey & although we won't manage it we wondered how much we can get done together. You only have to look at our combined loss on Easter challenge to see what we can achieve x

We can achieve anything together :)

I've done 1hr of Pilates - didn't o aerobics I'm all her up and stressed out! X

OK today I have done 2x school runs, 25 minutes there and back makes 50, then I walked the dog for another 45 minutes tonight. Also about 10 minutes of hand weight stuff makes 105 minutes in total. (It won't be like this every day, tomorrow I'll be lucky to do 20 mins!)

KB x

Back