Lentils with Butternut Squash

Made this the other day and it was delicious. It is adapted from a Nigel Slater recipe (although I have fiddled with it quite a bit, so he probably wouldn't recognise it, but thanks to him for the idea anyway!)

Hope you like it. It is one of those recipes which can be changed to suit your taste - more spicy, different vegetables, etc.

1 small onion or 2 shallots, finely chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Few sticks of celery, finely chopped
A piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 teaspoon oil (2 syns) or Frylight
100g lentils (I used puy lentils but any whole lentils will do – but not red lentils)
1 large potato, peeled and diced
Half a butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
Stock
Seasoning

Fry the onion or shallots, carrot, celery, and ginger in the oil or Frylight until softened and the onions are beginning to brown. Use a saucepan or frying pan with a lid.
Add the potato and the lentils, seasoning to taste, stir, add stock to cover.
Simmer for about 15 minutes (or until the lentils are almost cooked) with the lid just tilted (stops it boiling over).
Add more stock if necessary, then place the butternut squash chunks on top of the mixture. Carry on simmering with the lid firmly on (so that the squash will steam) until the squash is just cooked.
This makes two good portions.
I haven't given a quantity for the stock because different types of lentils absorb liquid at different rates. Add stock to cover, then keep checking and add more as you need it.
Without the oil it would be free on Green or EE (there's enough vegetables in there for your 1/3 superfree).

think I'll try this tonight, was looking for a green day recipe without pasta or rice and its only got a small amount of potato , thanks, xx

Back