Les Mills appreciation thread

definatly worth it, i like it anyway.... my sister however dosent. she likes her easy aerobics that sticks to one routine, and same music month after month after month and so on.... shes tried attack with me, but found it too hard for her :p

today my gym tried to compromise body combat with aerobics. not impressed.

Hi all
Another Les Mills fan here and have enjoyed finding your chat about the clases. I do Combat mostly. I tried Attack but didn't enjoy the high impact although I agree that it's the one that works you the hardest. They do balance on a Sunday morning and I do think I should give it a go - maybe I will try this weekend and report back. I really don't like Pump - all that faffing about with different weights - by the time I have sorted myself out, it's time to move on - lol

Would love to know more about the other sorts you mention - Jam, Sh'Bam etc.

My current week -
Mon - Street Dance class
Tue - day off
Wed - Keep Fit with Mel B
Thur - Combat
Fri - personal trainer
Weekend - depends on what I'm doing but normally at least one day at the gym or a class

i dont think sh'bam has hit the UK yet, id love to try it when it does though!
for me its the high impact that i need, i really struggle with anything low impact- boredom mainly, even a regular aerobics class makes me bored!

jam is brilliant, shame its too expensive to keep up though :(

I've been doing Body Step recently for a few weeks, just one a week as it's only that I can afford, but wow it's hard going, and for the first time this week I done attack..i was proud of my self as i had done attack years ago and found it hard then, and I still found it hard but managed only changing a few to lower impact cause I'm asthmatic I had to watch in case I started to hyperventilate but I enjoyed it, although my arms ache for some reason and I havent done anything else really that could effect me that much, so it's an all over body work out lol!!

New pump in just under a month apparently! Can't wait :)

i still love this release.... its got my beloved shinedown on the biceps! :D

love the tricep pull down combo in this one aswell

Hey just wanted to join in as a les mills fan! I have tried attack, pump, combat, balance and rpm. They have been my favourite classes apart from boot camp and boxercise, and sometimes circuits if you get a hardcore instructor!

My new gym doesn't have all the classes but I am doing pump and combat along with some other classes to get my fitness back to where it was before I was pregnant with my youngest. I am thinking of training as an instructor as I am already qualified level 2 so I qualify for the training and I do love it! Here is my easy schedule to get me back into things
Mon: hour spin class
Tue: circuit or gym
Wed: spin and yogalates
Thu: body pump and gym cardio
Fri: circuit or gym and yoga
Sat: body combat and body pump
Sun: nice long walk

I know I need to get it more structured in the long term but this is nicely challenging for now without killing myself off completely!

Nice thread!

ooh nice, some good doubles in there! i prefer doing the back to back classes :D

my saturday is the same as yours is :D

mon: combat
tues: attack
weds: attack & combat
fri: attack
sat: combat & pump
sun: combat & pump

defianatly a nutter :D

my gym only offers those 3, i take advantage :D

the tuesday, wednesday and friday are very popular classes- places go within minutes

Last edited:
i still love this release.... its got my beloved shinedown on the biceps! :D

love the tricep pull down combo in this one aswell

It's the first release I've done! I really love the triceps combo too :D

Finally managed to go up a few kg on my weights too (I'm still a weakling with 4kg total on the lighter tracks and 7 on the heavier ones), man did I ache on Monday after my Sunday class :D

the ache is so good, first time i did pump i felt like id been hit by a bus the next day, worst ache ever.

i eventually want to squat half my body weight, biggest ive used to far in squats is 25kg. took a long time to biuld up to it though, i started on around 2.5/3kg, 7 at the heaviest and that was a struggle then. i tried going up to 30kg on squats, could barely lift it up, 25 isnt the easiest to lift up but i can do that at least. if i work up to 30kg, then im over half my weight.
i may only be little, but im not weak :p

i like that you can work really hard in it, and you dont have to come out looking like youve been in a sauna!

Last edited:
Agree! Although I break a sweat quite easily :x we're having a "one off" attack session next week- what can I expect?

high energy, lots of sweat...
attacks not the easiest out all the les mills classes, but its a good calorie burner! is it 45 mins or one hour?

theres some low impact options if they are needed, even i take them sometimes (on the lunges i always do!)

Gina if you you want to squat heavy weights try the squat rack on the gym floor. Eventually you will need to as you will be able to squat more weight than you will be able to lift from the floor. Body pump is a 'more reps, less weight' type of weight training, when I was a full-on gym going type last time I eventually moved my weights sessions into the free weights area of the gym, but tbh I wish I had just done one of those and kept body pump on because it's fun! These days I am just warming up again.

usually by the time i get in there the weights part is full of guys, its always in use :( and when i do use it i get funny looks off them for being the only girl in there :p

i dont want pump to feel easy to me, so i go a bit higher every 6 weeks and so far its worked, if i started using what i used to squat id find it very easy now, our instructors are always telling up to up the weights each release aswell, and they notice when you dont or when you lower!

Ah yes I remember that- the guys who walk around the gym like they sat on a carrot hogging the benches etc., giving you funny looks- I have even had one smirking at me the cheeky git! But you know in the end most of them would ask me to spot them, knew me by name and would ask where I'd been if I hadn't been in for a few days! My 'way in' was to ask the most respected trainer in the gym to put together a weights workout for me knowing it would be free weights and so that was then just 'normal' if that makes sense, he had shown it to me in the free weights area so that's where I went- chin-ups, squat rack the lot haha.

Am i right in thinking its four weeks until new releases ??

mike said it was 3 weeks to us on saturday, the new ones might come to where i am quicker though. australia always get them first :(

Back