Les Mills appreciation thread

Well I don't know what I did tonight at Body Combat but I really got bad cramp down my right side, through my stomach, so much so I thought I was going to have to leave the room to vomit! I think I just over did it slightly and the instructor told me to aim my jabs higher as I was hunched over. When I pulled my body up to start punching at the correct height (nose level) I got this excruciating pain. Horrendous.

ouch.... that dosent sound good :(

I know, it felt totally surreal - I think it's cos I'd taken a large gulp of water in a rest and it was a bit of trapped air :( Can anyone tell me what body pump is like? I have a day off on Thursday and a gym a bit further away does pump but having never done it before I'm a bit apprehensive.

its a weights class using a bar, very good for toning :) its a proper "grit your teeth and push through the pain" one!! im embarrased to say i also make the most unattractive grunts during pump

warmup: smallest weight you do
squats: heaviest weight
chest: 1/3 to 1/2 off the squat weight
back: chest weight or slightly heavier
triceps: bit more than warm up
biceps: warm up weight or a bit more if your feeling strong
lunges: between chest and squat weight
shoulders: bit more than warmup

start small with the weights, dont think just because others are going heavy that you need too or that your weak, they all started small too! the class isnt easy, but its not active like combat or attack.
have a chat with the instructor first, he/she will go through correct technique and reccomend a weight for you to start off on, usually the lightest one.
you might be sore the day after, but dont let it put you off. my ache after the first pump i did was really bad, felt like id been hit by a bus and then over again!

found a video of pump 79, its the brand new one so that gym might not have it yet, more likely 78.... the vid is of the lunge track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkkd7D-lu18&feature=related

Last edited:
AHHHHH! just searched for the unleashed event i was at on youtube, found one of the warm up for attack and im on the vid... oh dear.

Les Mills Unleashed Wigan September 4th 2011 - YouTube
when the camera goes to the back and theres the girl in black and pink shorts and nike sports bra top who's got scrawny looking legs lol thats me!!

and the girl in the yellow top and green shorts is my attack and combat instructor!

body jam: i met the blonde girl at unleashed!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCNOUNk2R1A&feature=related

combat: i chat to tanya sometimes! the blonde girl :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHHUYgXKJM&feature=related

Last edited:
Well I went to Pump for the first time today but annoyingly, I was 5-10 mins late so missed the intro and therefore didn't have time to familiarize myself with the bar or different weights. I just had a bar and 1kg on each side plus 1kg hand weights so just alternated between those two. I am a little concerned though, I didn't sweat like I do in combat, my heart rate was racing in parts but no physical exhaustion. My muscles ARE aching now though. I would go again but will hopefully push it further next time.

Well I went to Pump for the first time today but annoyingly, I was 5-10 mins late so missed the intro and therefore didn't have time to familiarize myself with the bar or different weights. I just had a bar and 1kg on each side plus 1kg hand weights so just alternated between those two. I am a little concerned though, I didn't sweat like I do in combat, my heart rate was racing in parts but no physical exhaustion. My muscles ARE aching now though. I would go again but will hopefully push it further next time.

dont worry about the not being a sweaty mess thing, im the same. i dont get a sweat on like combat! your still working hard, only one that makes me sweat a little is the squat track and thats from my elbows lol!!! my squat weight isnt light either :p
its one of those you can go in dry and come out dry but still worked really hard :)

Ah right okay - I was really worried that I hadn't done a good job. I'm going to combat tomorrow so back to the sweaty mess again. From a Pump point of view, as a beginner, how should I go about pushing myself next time?

if you found the previous weights a little too easy, up it by a small bit gradually, id say maybe keep warm up as 1kg each side for now, up squats to 2.5kg each side or something similar?

I have been doing combat for about a 9 months now and I love it! I got so bored with aerobics so now doing combat twice a week and zumba once a week and then squash with partner!
My fav track was alesha drummer boy but instructor didn't like it so we didn't do it much! I love pirates of the caribbean too! Now waiting for the hell of 49 I think I may die!

oh i love drummer boy! we dont do it often either, but that may be becuase my instructor uses it sometimes in attack and zumba!
pirates is good too, but overplayed :(

49 is a killer! best one yet!

ooh fab! another favourite ^_^

I love drummer boy too! It's my favourite track in 48.

Went to combat today after 5 days off exercise with being ill - and it was So. Hard. I don't know if I'm still under the weather (maybe: I'm still hoarse) or if I just lost all my fitness in the last week, but I hope it gets better again, and quick!

I do notice when I miss a week or so that I reeeeeeeally struggle lol. Dreading the new set already!
Can't imaging drummer boy in zumba but want to do that now!!!
Pirate is never overplayed lol

its hard in zumba, the move the instructor does you can really feel it in your calves, the day after especially!

did pump today, release 71 :) my god that bicep track! so hard, even my forearms are sore from it, biceps feel so sore too! i was using the heaviest weight of all in the class at 10kg, all i can say is ouch. i felt the burn! i was hugging my poor mashed up biceps saying owwie owwie owwie after it lol
think the instructor forgot how hard the track was too, she will normally tell us to go lighter than normal if the track is hard and that one was possibly the hardest one ive done, i though 77's diamond eyes was a hard track, its tame compared to 71.... loves it!

Last edited:
Lol I struggle with combat sometimes with all the punching as I have RSI thru work and it really affects my whole arm and shoulder by the end of the week, so can't even contemplate pump!!
I'm doing a new combat at my sisters next week and I think she's making me do pump too, so I may be saying more than ouchie!!!!

i had a few little swear words uttered very quietly!!

my poor arms are hurting, owwie!

a combat and pump combo is deadly, painful isnt the word!
other guys that were doing the same bicep weight were lowering them after the first break i didnt want to, once i get to a certain weight im very reluctant to lower it again

I cant wait for the new releases, step is still my favourite but started doing pump last week.

I use 2.5kg each side for warm up
5 each side for squats
3.5 kg for all others apart from 2.5 each side for shoulders

does this sound ok?

Back